Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread Bonanza (World Cup watch included)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Levy as the boss has both positive and negative connotations even though the negative seem to be forgotten about for large parts of the season.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Surprised with the lack of signings for Chelsea, Spurs and also United

I guess Spurs will be happy that none of their squad has not been sold off but I think it's silly that they haven't strengthen

Just over a week left in the window, it could all go crazy!

Not wanting to start a bitch fest between fans but Spurs retaining their full squad would be a far better result than, for example, Chelsea strengthening their squad last year with Morata, Bakayoko, Drinkwater and Ross Barkley. Throw in Batshuayi from the previous year and you have near enough £200M spent on five players who contributed thew square root of f-all to Chelsea.

That's not getting at Chelsea, it would be easy to do a similar list for Utd stretching back even further.

If Spurs get Alderweireld to sign an extension (and they have finally raised the bar on wages with Kane's deal so I don't see why not) they would have a World Class centre back who missed nearly all of last season. Similarly Rose and Lamela were absent for most of the season. Unless there is some really top, top player that Spurs can accommodate in their wages structure and can afford the transfer fee, I think no business is good business for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/DiMarzio/status/1024214708252024834

Higuain and Caldara to Milan.
    Bonucci to Juve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm always struck by the way and the frequency the Italian clubs sell good players to one another without any real drama (as a rule)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Surprised with the lack of signings for Chelsea, Spurs and also United

I guess Spurs will be happy that none of their squad has not been sold off but I think it's silly that they haven't strengthen

Just over a week left in the window, it could all go crazy!

Spurs will be up against it this season to finish in Top 4 if they don't buy. Liverpool stronger, City will be the team to beat, Chelsea and Arsenal won't be as ****. United will be favourites to finish in the top 4 also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Spurs could really go one way or the other, I think. It's hard to tell.

- Loris, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Kane, Alli all had long World Cups and could be exhausted. But could also be buzzing to play coming back successful.
    - Alderweireld, Rose and Dembele all look likely to stay now, which is positive. But all three have been clear in their desire to leave so how much of an impact will that have?
    - Llorente and Janssen have made no impact as backup strikers but with Lamela and Moura in the side now, will that free up Son for that role? But can Lamela be relied on for fitness?
    - And speaking of fitness, isn't Wanyama set for another lengthy lay off? Dembele is struggling with the demands of the league and Winks missed a long section of the season through injury, so how capable are they?

On the one hand, I think the settled squad will really help them but, on the other, standing still has rarely led to moving forward in the PL and when everyone around them is scrapping to strengthen, it's easy to find reasons for Spurs fans to be worried.

But, then again, as has pointed out, the last few windows weren't exactly stellar for Spurs (not always bad but their most important players are there longer term) and as the likes of Chelsea can attest to, the wrong signing would do more damage than none at all in some cases...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Have Chelsea brought in anyone apart from Jorginho and Rob Green

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Landyn Tasty Farmhouse

astradave wrote: »

No one else - the directors are fannying around and we’ll have 3rd summer in window in a row where they’ll emergency buy on the last day, I’m guessing Andy Carroll joe hart and Marc Albrighton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Rojo to Everton gathering pace. Everton are desperate for somebody to play alongside Keane.

Spurs need a centre mid. Kovacic is available. Hed be ideal. Otherwise sissoko is gonna start centre mid a lot despite the fact that he's a below average winger really.

Chelsea and pool also need to trim some fat off their squads. Likes of.burnley etc should be lapping those guys up. Zouma would be a good signing for anyone. Christensen. Ings. Ojo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

A coach who is known for improving players too, and attacking football. ;)

on a serious note though, Sarri has said he prefers to coach players and improve them, rather than buy players. A bit different to a previous Chelsea manager, and probably different to Chelsea as a club lately in general.

Vidal wants to leave Bayern and Join inter. It’s a loan with option to buy apparently

https://twitter.com/sportbild/status/1024221774265901056?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Chelsea and pool also need to trim some fat off their squads. Likes of.burnley etc should be lapping those guys up. Zouma would be a good signing for anyone. Christensen. Ings. Ojo.

Christensen had the second most games at CB last season. He’s definitely not part of the fat that needs to be trimmed. Zouma should be loaned though.

Christensen had the second most games at CB last season. He’s definitely not part of the fat that needs to be trimmed. Zouma should be loaned though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Wonder if Higuains move will revive Andre Silva's move to Wolves?

https://twitter.com/ed_aarons/status/1024242303660113920

Max Mayer to Palace getting closer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Max Mayer to Palace getting closer.

He & his agent played a blinder; expected to be getting a nice free transfer to a top club & now ending up at Palace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Nope and I hate using cliches but Barkley and Loftus Cheek coming into fold are like new signings and will certainly see game time in a 4-3-3, more so than Contes old system.

I do think we'll sell and loan a few players but I dont think we'll get much more in.

We do and we don't, we will see senior players loaned and sold but Christensen wont be going anywhere.

Drinkwater, Willian, Morata, Zouma, Zappacosta, Moses could all well be gone in the coming few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

ERG89 wrote: »
    He & his agent played a blinder; expected to be getting a nice free transfer to a top club & now ending up at Palace

Im sure the bags and bags and bags of cash that will still be thrown at him, despite it being Palace, will cushion his fall.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

ERG89 wrote: »

If he's as good as he's supposed to be he won't be at Palace for long. He's only 22, so plenty of time for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

If he's as good as he's supposed to be he won't be at Palace for long. He's only 22, so plenty of time for him.
    Sounds like the bloke has a very high opinion of himself;

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11443137/max-meyer-former-schalke-wonderkid-without-a-club

Axel Witsel having a medical with Dortmund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

rob316 wrote: »
    Spurs will be up against it this season to finish in Top 4 if they don't buy. Liverpool stronger, City will be the team to beat, Chelsea and Arsenal won't be as ****. United will be favourites to finish in the top 4 also.

Spurs can go either way this season as they are not losing anyone, but are not really adding anyone either

Im not actually impressed so far with Uniteds signings, it depends who they get in before the window closes, same with Chelsea

Very difficult to pick a top 4 right now imo

Spurs can go either way this season as they are not losing anyone, but are not really adding anyone either

Im not actually impressed so far with Uniteds signings, it depends who they get in before the window closes, same with Chelsea

Very difficult to pick a top 4 right now imo
    City
    Liverpool
    and two from Spurs, Chelsea and utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

blueser wrote: »
    City
    Liverpool
    and two from Spurs, Chelsea and utd

Arsenal? Got a decent attack, new manager.

Ya, I'd certainly include Arsenal in the mix but the 4 from Utd, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal have so many variables in play, that tight now, its impossible to tell where they'll finish up.

City and Pool shouldnt be worried anyway and will more than likely consolidate their top 4 places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Bonucci + €54million* --> Juventus.
    Caldara + Higuain --> Milan.

*€18 million upfront for Higuain, Loan with option to buy but Milan guaranteeing both Juve and Gonzalo they will sign him permanently next summer, seen as a way of getting around recent issues with FFP for Milan.

I think it's a decent deal for both teams. Milan lose Bonucci but acquire one of the best young centre backs in Serie A and a proven goal scorer which they have badly lacked for a few years now.
    Caldara could form a very interesting partnership with Romagnoli for the next 10 years if it works out and Juve re-acquire the most important part of the BBC partnership.

There's always one late domino transfer and this could well be it.

There's always one late domino transfer and this could well be it.

You have the wonder of their need for a RW, surely Bale will be out there

Unless.....

Nahhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Makes room for Zaha to go?

• Advertisement

Utd buying Zaha and Bale?!

Utd buying Zaha and Bale?!

Don’t tease me like that!

:pac:

Willian didn't turn up for Chelsea as he has a passport issue and has problems getting to England.

Willian didn't turn up for Chelsea as he has a passport issue and has problems getting to England.

Expected to arrive later today.

If he turned up at Manchester Airport and 60m was lodged in Chelsea's account, I wouldn't bat an eyelid. :p

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If he turned up at Manchester Airport and 60m was lodged in Chelsea's account, I wouldn't bat an eyelid. :p
    You can relax, I don't think we're in for him. We'll take Hazard off your hands though, if you're looking to offload him!
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Vrsaljko to Inter confirmed by Atletico pending medical. Good signing for Inter in a position that needed strengthening and adds to what has been a good transfer window so far, just need to offload a couple of players now and if Vidal is signed sell Vecino too maybe.

What the feck is going on at Inter? They are making a move for Modric as well.

https://twitter.com/DiMarzio/status/1024408332268961793

**** that! Woody get on it!!!

• Advertisement

I'd be very surprised by that, especially if the Vidal deal gets done, too many midfield players plus with Vidal, Ninja and Modric it would be three 30+ players brought in to play midfield so very short term thinking with the money it would take to get Modric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Where did Serie A suddenly get all this money to bring in these players.

Inter were bought by a Chinese group a couple of years ago but it didn't seem to make any obvious difference to their transfers, as for wider deals I suppose if you throw 110 million at Roma as Liverpool have done in a year it gets re-distributed!

Where did Serie A suddenly get all this money to bring in these players.

Juve have money and the Ronaldo deal will pay for itself with merchandising, even the share prices rose a huge amount just from the rumours they were signing him and again when they announced it.

Inter haven't actually spent that much, sold some youths and got players on loan with option to buy. The CL money is also being spent now so that helps too. I really can't see Modric happening, he's probably just using it to get a better contract offer from Real.

Roma have the Alison money and a bit from Ninja to Inter too so that helps them.

Other than Juve there really haven't been any big money signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

It's probably bs but he would be a very good signing for them or any team outside the top few.

• Advertisement

The reliable Wolves reporters are all saying there is nothing in the rumours at all, they are saying Wolves were looking at Rojo from United but they think he is off to Everton

The reliable Wolves reporters are all saying there is nothing in the rumours at all, they are saying Wolves were looking at Rojo from United but they think he is off to Everton
    I find it hard to believe, to be honest. But that's some cut in odds.

dor83 wrote: »
    Juve have money and the Ronaldo deal will pay for itself with merchandising, even the share prices rose a huge amount just from the rumours they were signing him and again when they announced it.

Inter haven't actually spent that much, sold some youths and got players on loan with option to buy. The CL money is also being spent now so that helps too. I really can't see Modric happening, he's probably just using it to get a better contract offer from Real.

Roma have the Alison money and a bit from Ninja to Inter too so that helps them.

Other than Juve there really haven't been any big money signings.

Shirt sales? ;) Or do you mean commercial partnerships?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I find it hard to believe, to be honest. But that's some cut in odds.

As well as being in charge of the odds, pp now seem to be in charge of the news!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Shirt sales? Or do you mean commercial partnerships?

It couldn't be shirt sales. The clubs get paid a nice lump if money by their kit manufacturer these days and then a % of sales after that. No chance of recouping very much from shirt sales.

• Advertisement
Advertisement