Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread Bonanza (World Cup watch included)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Shirt sales? ;) Or do you mean commercial partnerships?
    Maybe merchandising was the wrong word but the amount of people who will start supporting them because of him will be huge, the money they generate by having his name attached to the club will be crazy. Like I said, share price went up so much that the clubs value went up by more than they paid for him, it went up a crazy amount and has dropped a little since but is still increased hugely.

EDIT: I said before that the league are kicking themselves that they just sold the broadcasting rights for the next 3 years before they signed him, they could have asked for a good bit more if it was after he signed. Not just Juve but Serie A as a whole will benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

eagle eye wrote: »
    It couldn't be shirt sales. The clubs get paid a nice lump if money by their kit manufacturer these days and then a % of sales after that. No chance of recouping very much from shirt sales.

At the moment as far as I'm aware United get paid 75 odd million a year for shirt sales and 15-20 odd percent after that. That's before the shirt sponsors getting involved in providing funding for signings. I don't understand why the money teams get paid for selling shirts every year isn't included in these internet arguments about how much teams get for selling shirts.

The Ronaldo signing will increase what Juve can demand from Adidas or whoever they move to next and also increase the amount they receive directly from the percentage of sales. It's not inconceivable that could come close to the amount they paid for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liam O wrote: »
    At the moment as far as I'm aware United get paid 75 odd million a year for shirt sales and 15-20 odd percent after that. That's before the shirt sponsors getting involved in providing funding for signings. I don't understand why the money teams get paid for selling shirts every year isn't included in these internet arguments about how much teams get for selling shirts.

The Ronaldo signing will increase what Juve can demand from Adidas or whoever they move to next and also increase the amount they receive directly from the percentage of sales. It's not inconceivable that could come close to the amount they paid for him.

Its £750m for Adidas to be the kit maker (sponsorship), not for kit sales for the ten years.

Where are you getting 15-20% of shirt sales? And i doubt any manufacturer would give 15-20% of sales to the club, it's more likely to be a % of profit per sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

blueser wrote: »

The main man for Wolves news said it's a non runner.

https://twitter.com/Everton/status/1024580791446188032

Lucas Digne unveiled as an Everton player.

The shirt sales myth. It's completely overstated.

People who were going to buy the kit anyway may just get the new signings name on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

A big reason Juve signed Ronaldo is to up their profile as consistent as they have been the last few years they are still a way off the likes of a Real or Barca. They have their series on Netflix for a reason & shirt sales play a part in it too. They want to create fans who will hopefully spend money on their brand in any capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

ERG89 wrote: »
    A big reason Juve signed Ronaldo is to up their profile as consistent as they have been the last few years they are still a way off the likes of a Real or Barca. They have their series on Netflix for a reason & shirt sales play a part in it too. They want to create fans who will hopefully spend money on their brand in any capacity.

That's more what I originally meant so merchandising was the wrong word to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I find it hard to believe, to be honest. But that's some cut in odds.

From the link :pac:
    Asked about a possible move spokesman Paddy Power said: “Chris Smalling has fallen out of Jose Mourinho’s first team plans. Or, as Louis Van Gaal would put it, Mike dropped.

“Wolves are making waves this summer in the transfer market, and look a great bet for a top half finish already.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

PP creating a shortening market for themselves and then Smalling joins Blackpool :pac:

• Advertisement

Could be something probably nothing (Barca and Pogba for those using the legacy skin)

https://twitter.com/marca/status/1024605470269603840

https://twitter.com/Sport_EN/status/1024605009210683394

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

I'm always struck by the way and the frequency the Italian clubs sell good players to one another without any real drama (as a rule)
    My inner cynic says it's a fairly deliberate, mutually agreed tactic amongst Italian clubs to stoke interest from the fans. Fans love new signings, even if they won't improve the team as is often the case, and it adds to the intrigue of club rivalries. Maybe English clubs should do it more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

astradave wrote: »
    Deary me. Come on you Villa fans, what do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

astradave wrote:
    Worst.. Announcement.. EVER...

Ahahahaha he's a keeper. Is he actually a goalkeeper or is that a love island 'oh that guy is a keeper hun' type thing.

Pter wrote: »
    Ahahahaha he's a keeper. Is he actually a goalkeeper or is that a love island 'oh that guy is a keeper hun' type thing.

He’s a goalkeeper ye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

astradave wrote:
    He’s a goalkeeper ye

Thank God. But also in another way....ah ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Transfer announcement videos are one of the worst things to happen to the sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Deary me. Come on you Villa fans, what do you think?

It's a bit silly but pretty harmless all the same. I think some get too riled up about things like this. It's just a silly play on the word 'Villa' in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its all very childish, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ah they're great. My favourite one was Rudiger in the cupboard last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Liam O wrote: »
    Ah they're great. My favourite one was Rudiger in the cupboard last year.

Stuart Taylor's was great

Roma’s social media manager should get an award! They are the best out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Shirt sales? ;) Or do you mean commercial partnerships?

Commercial partnerships. Expect to see CR flogging Ferrari's and Fiat's soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Betis are after buying Sidnei from Deportivo. A good squad player, bartra and Feddal will be the two starting centre-backs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Higuain landed in Milan and confirmed he has a medical tomorrow. "first I'll sign and then I'll talk".
    Great signing for a club who's too scorer in the league last year barely broke double figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Higuain landed in Milan and confirmed he has a medical tomorrow. "first I'll sign and then I'll talk".
    Great signing for a club who's too scorer in the league last year barely broke double figures.

Hopefully he's lost some of the obvious weight he was carrying in the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Mail V Guardian, I know who I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

170 probably includes his signing on fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Ashley Williams having a medical ahead of a season long loan to Stoke City, according to SSN.

The biggest surprise in the above tweets is a premier league club that wants Jordan Ayew. Especially one that had to play a midfielder in Loftus-Cheek up top last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Tottenham bidding 20m for Jack Grealish :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Laois_Man wrote: »

Need someone to replace Dembele as the midfielder that has 1 good game every 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Laois_Man wrote: »

I thought I saw it at 10m somewhere else.
    Market is crazy but Grealish at 10m would be a good addition to them.Young,English player so Villa will squeeze as mush as possible out of the transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

yabadabado wrote: »
    Market is crazy but Grealish at 10m would be a good addition to them.Young,English player so Villa will squeeze as mush as possible out of the transfer.

Grealish should be 30m in todays market easy in my opinion, will be a great signing for whoever gets him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

James Maddison went for over £20m.

Championship -> Leicester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

yabadabado wrote: »

Villa wanted £35m or something like that earlier in the window didn't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Grealish would be 30m+ I'd say. He's crucial to Villa's promotion hopes. If they sell him, they'll struggle to sign someone who has that much of an impact on their play in the week or so left in the window.

To justify that in the books, they'll need a pretty solid injection of cash.

Wouldn't rule out his sale but it would need to be very attractive to the owners really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Villa wanted £35m or something like that earlier in the window didn't they?

Yeah I think you're correct,don't know WTF I was thinking of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Mutö got his work permit.

Vidal close to Barcelona. Di Marzio.

West Brom reject a £16 million bid by Burnley for Jay Rodriguez.

Kevin Mirallis to join Fiorentina on loan.

Vidal close to Barcelona. Di Marzio.

Himself, Nainggolan & Modric at Inter and all with a few less years on the clock on paper would have been a monstrous midfield. Even now I'd like to have seen it for a season.
    Anyway Rebic being linked with Sevilla for €21m

Wolves after Adama Traore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Officer999

Mawson to Fulham confirmed. £15 million from Swansea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Burnley have bid 12m for Ben Gibson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Max Meyer gone to Palace on a free.

£170k a week reportedly!!!

SlickRic wrote: »
    Max Meyer gone to Palace on a free.

£170k a week reportedly!!!

Nah it's 80k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Burnley have bid 12m for Ben Gibson

Couldn't compete with Fulham for wages on Mawson.

Advertisement