Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread Bonanza (World Cup watch included)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

80k a week with a huge signing on fee broken weekly could put Meyer on a very big weekly salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

Higuain and Caldara completed their move to Milan. Bonucci completes his move with hostile reception from a small group of fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Burnley's win last night surely means they have to move in the transfer market sooner rather than later?

The rumours are that they bid for Jay Rodriguez and had it rejected and that they couldn't/wouldn't compete with Fulham on wages for Alfie Mawson. Links to Craig Dawson and Sam Clucas too.

If they beat Istanbul in the next round and qualify for the group stage, they'll have played 31 competitive games by Christmas this year (presuming they go out in the first round of the League Cup). Last season, they played 41 total.

And, while they still finished very well last season, fatigue played a role in their results. They beat Stoke on December 12 and then didn't win another league game until March 3. Some of those results were fine - draws with City and United - but it also included 5 defeats. They also ended with a 5 game streak with no wins (though that was preceded by 5 wins in a row... what an unusual run of form!!)

It's not unreasonable to expect a similar type of drop-off with the Europa league added in if they don't add a handful of rotation options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I hear Danny Ings is available...and Divock Origi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Couldn't compete with Fulham for wages on Mawson.

I don't know how I feel about Burnley.

They're feeling a lot like Newcastle in terms of just relying on the excellence of their manager, and not really giving him the funds to push on.

They've always been lauded for their loyalty to Dyche, and rightly so after relegation, but Burnley have not done enough in this window. I think they could struggle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm completely out of touch with the game, shows you how little I watch any more.

There's been 2 guys in the EPL mentioned here moving for £12m and £15m, and I wouldn't recognise them if they walked past me now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I read this in Dr Evil's voice (from BBC)

Real Madrid have put a £670m price tag on 32-year-old Croatia midfielder Luka Modric, named player of the 2018 World Cup, to deter Inter Milan from making any approach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I'd take Dembele from Spurs. He's a bit hit and miss, but I could see Pep working wonders with him. And he'd be an excellent back up for Dinho. Whether he'd be happy doing that is debatable though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

blueser wrote: »
    I'd take Dembele from Spurs. He's a bit hit and miss, but I could see Pep working wonders with him. And he'd be an excellent back up for Dinho. Whether he'd be happy doing that is debatable though.

Totally different players IMO. Dembele is almost like an attacking midfielder whose biggest strength is dribbling the ball and carrying it through midfield.

I really don't get the Dembele hype at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

FitzShane wrote: »
    Totally different players IMO. Dembele is almost like an attacking midfielder whose biggest strength is dribbling the ball and carrying it through midfield.

Delph wouldn't have been seen as a top notch LB in most people's eyes before last season. But he was a more than adequate stand in for Mendy. No reason why Dembele couldn't adapt his game. That would be up to him, though. If we were to show any sort of interest at all (which we haven't), and it was made clear in discussions the sort of role he'd be expected to fill, would he be prepared to do it? That, I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

He's a fantastic midfielder, and is as good as anyone in the PL at his best. Very hard to dispossess, and goes past players effortlessly at times. You won't see that as often anymore though, as he doesn't seem to have the legs for a full season anymore, so i can't really see him going anywhere else in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

He’s one of the very last of the dying breed..

A true box to box midfielder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

blueser wrote: »
    Delph wouldn't have been seen as a top notch LB in most people's eyes before last season. But he was a more than adequate stand in for Mendy. No reason why Dembele couldn't adapt his game. That would be up to him, though. If we were to show any sort of interest at all (which we haven't), and it was made clear in discussions the sort of role he'd be expected to fill, would he be prepared to do it? That, I don't know.

That is true, and Pep does seem to have a knack to re-inventing his players alright. That said, I don't think Dembele has the legs or positional sense to play that holding role for City, especially given how high the full backs play.

Kiith wrote: »
    He's a fantastic midfielder, and is as good as anyone in the PL at his best. Very hard to dispossess, and goes past players effortlessly at times. You won't see that as often anymore though, as he doesn't seem to have the legs for a full season anymore, so i can't really see him going anywhere else in the PL.

I think he has that niche role of being the 2nd or 3rd midfielder so he can often do the 'easy on the eye' stuff pretty well. He was very good away to Juventus for Spurs, but then in the return leg, was chasing shadows and surrendered control of midfield at the vital time, and Juve ended up knocking Spurs out. He does those powering runs through midfield but what else does he offer? I wouldn't call him a DM as such, nor would I call him a 'possession cycler'.

And yeah I agree, I think he'll go somewhere foreign alright - there was talks of China at the end of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Burnley make improved bid to Middlesbrough of £13 Million for Gibson

It'll take more than that to get their captain, probably their best player, and also the chairman's nephew!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

SlickRic wrote: »
    I don't know how I feel about Burnley.

They're feeling a lot like Newcastle in terms of just relying on the excellence of their manager, and not really giving him the funds to push on.

They've always been lauded for their loyalty to Dyche, and rightly so after relegation, but Burnley have not done enough in this window. I think they could struggle.
    I think they will struggle. Although I thought the exact same last year. They can only seem to sign championship players or lads that are out of favour with PL teams like jack cork. Maybe what helps them is that they have a bunch of lads with a point to prove and a manager that accepts no nonsense . If they get top 10 again it will be a miracle based on resources and keeping them up again would be a good achievement for dyche in my eyes. Apart from Huddersfield and Cardiff they can't compete or dont compete financially with the rest of the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think I tipped Burnley to have a bad season this year, relative to their finish last year.

I suppose time will tell but if they do make the group stages of the EL, I'd reckon they will struggle severely with the Thursday/Sunday or Monday rotation with their current squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I think I tipped Burnley to have a bad season this year, relative to their finish last year.

I suppose time will tell but if they do make the group stages of the EL, I'd reckon they will struggle severely with the Thursday/Sunday or Monday rotation with their current squad.

They struggled to overcome an Aberdeen side that have had less success in European competition under McInness than Dustin the Turkey. Looks ominous

LiamoSail wrote: »
    They struggled to overcome an Aberdeen side that have had less success in European competition under McInness than Dustin the Turkey. Looks ominous

They have always struggled under dyche when not the underdog. They are very like Ireland in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Joe Hart having medical at Burnley.

They've also agreed a £15 million fee for Ben Gibson from Boro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Joe Hart having medical at Burnley.

They've also agreed a £15 million fee for Ben Gibson from Boro.

Kinda odd move, once the others are fit they have three solid keepers taking a wage and an outfield squad of about 14.

Having three keepers who all played for england in last 18 months must be some sort of record!

• Advertisement

POKERKING wrote: »
    Kinda odd move, once the others are fit they have three solid keepers taking a wage and an outfield squad of about 14.

Having three keepers who all played for england in last 18 months must be some sort of record!

Buttland to chelsea would be my guess, then Courtois off to Real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Terry Butcher will be on the lookout for a new managerial job as he's just left the Philippines, before even managing them.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45056364

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

astradave wrote: »

Butlands with Stoke no? Burnley still have Heaton and Pope along with Hart. Hart be third choice I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

astradave wrote: »

Butland plays for Stoke tho...

Wooops brainfart! Disregard everything I’ve ever said related to football :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

ah a quick google shows pope dislocated his shoulder, heaton is out long term with his calf.

So burnley have applied to UEFA to be allowed register another keeper.

In comes Hart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

duffman13 wrote:
    Butlands with Stoke no? Burnley still have Heaton and Pope along with Hart. Hart be third choice I think

If Hart is going to Burnley then either Pope or Heaton is off elsewhere I'd guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Vidal to Barca. Could take him a few months to adapt to La Liga but should be good for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Didn't see that Vidal move coming! Thought he was nailed on for Inter. Super player when fit, injuries last year kept him out for an age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

3 England keepers plus Lindegaard and Legzdins so 5 senior keepers on the books.

Heaton must either be getting sold or is really struggling to come back from last years injury.

I'd say its fairly nailed on that alderwereld will sign for utd. They would have signed Maguire or Mina by now if they felt alderwereld wasn't going to happen.

I can only see Alderweireld going if Utd pay some serious money, or if Martial goes the other way. Spurs should absolutely not be selling him to a rival imo though, as he's a fantastic defender that will improve any team he's on. At least in a swap, we get something in return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Kiith wrote: »
    I can only see Alderweireld going if Utd pay some serious money, or if Martial goes the other way. Spurs should absolutely not be selling him to a rival imo though, as he's a fantastic defender that will improve any team he's on. At least in a swap, we get something in return.

I'm a United fan and Martial plays from the left same as Son and Son is a far better player Spurs don't need him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Alderweireld I think wlll join Man Utd for about 60m.

Overated defender imo but still a good signing.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    Alderweireld I think wlll join Man Utd for about 60m.

Overated defender imo but still a good signing.

He is quality .He is as good a CB as any in the league. It will be a big fee, with high wages for someone with no resale value .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He is quality .He is as good a CB as any in the league. It will be a big fee, with high wages for someone with no resale value .

Meh. United make more than enough money. Primary concern should be 'does he improve the team' not 'can we make money back on him'.

If he were to be a key player in a title, why should fans care what he cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

An awful lot of people cared about the price when Liverpool bought VVD.

VVD,Vertonghen,Azpilicueta,Bailly all better.

Spurs done well when he was out last season.

Good player but has no outstanding attributes to make him as good as anyone in the PL.

Good player but has no outstanding attributes to make him as good as anyone in the PL.

I disagree with that entirely. Obviously, i'm biased as a Spurs fan, but I think people have short memories if they think VVD and Bailly are better than Alderweireld.

• Advertisement

Meh. United make more than enough money. Primary concern should be 'does he improve the team' not 'can we make money back on him'.

I agree with you. They can spend what they want. Its something utd and Jose don't need to think about compared to others. Matic and Sanchez would have been similar.

Bailly no chance, VVD would need to do it for a longer stretch than half a season. Azpil is a brilliant defender probably the best in the league but not as a CB in a back 4. Alderwereld is composed, quick, can defend high up the pitch fairly dominant in the air and has a great range of passing. I'd have him as fairly similar to VVD but he has proven himself at a higher level for longer than VVD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

https://twitter.com/BarcaUniversal/status/1025586523494744064
    Valverde: "Pogba is a great player, who is on another team and we are always very respectful of the players on other teams. We respect the player and the teams they are on."

When not trying to unsettle the likes of Suarez, Coutinho and Fabregas.

https://twitter.com/BarcaUniversal/status/1025586523494744064

When not trying to unsettle the likes of Suarez, Coutinho and Fabregas.

There is reports this morning that they are trying to sell loads of players to bring in Pogba to reunite him with Vidal.. won’t happen after the 9th August anyways, United will have no need to sell and no way Jose will let him go even if he pushes without a replacement in the door, no way of getting one in then either

TitianGerm wrote: »
    An awful lot of people cared about the price when Liverpool bought VVD.

Cause klopp said he would quit football before paying such prices.

Maybe.
    No,imo.
    A right back.
    No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Alderweireld is a better centre back than all those mentioned. He is world class and whoever signs him will be improving the team straight away. He walks into any team in EPL.

No outstanding attributes, thats crazy talk.He does everything expected of a CB to a very high level.
    He had an injury last season and then seemed to be frozen out over the contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

I'm an Arsenal fan and I think he could be the best center half in the league to be honest.

Would be a great signing for United, especially when ya see the figure being quoted for Maguire

Imo he would bring composure, leadership and command to the United back line, which we have none of. That's why I want United to sign him. Its not so much the physical attributes, its the mental ones.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Alderweireld is a better centre back than all those mentioned. He is world class and whoever signs him will be improving the team straight away. He walks into any team in EPL.

No outstanding attributes, thats crazy talk.He does everything expected of a CB to a very high level.
    He had an injury last season and then seemed to be frozen out over the contract.

Alderweirald is slow. He can get away with it due to his reading of the game.

Not that dominant in the air as well. Good player but VVD far superior & more dominant .

Atletico discarded him after one season too.

Don't get me wrong still a good signing for whoever gets him but the best CB in the PL not for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement