Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread Bonanza (World Cup watch included)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Imo he would bring composure, leadership and command to the United back line, which we have none of. That's why I want United to sign him. Its not so much the physical attributes, its the mental ones.

He's a very good signing for ye. I assume he plays beside Bailey unless your going 3 at the back and he plays with Lindof and Bailey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

MD1990 wrote: »
    Alderweirald is slow. He can get away with it due to his reading of the game.

Not that dominant in the air as well. Good player but VVD far superior & more dominant .

Atletico discarded him after one season too.

Don't get me wrong still a good signing for whoever gets him but the best CB in the PL not for me.

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

As a Liverpool fan who has Alderweirld in his FF team, I'm seriously conflicted. It would help both me and Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    What?

Shane Long destroyed him a few years back at WHL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Case closed :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Wow, shane long destroyed someone with pace, then VVD is also slow as Sane destroyed him few days back with his pace.

Not that dominant in the air as well. Good player but VVD far superior & more dominant .

Don't get me wrong still a good signing for whoever gets him but the best CB in the PL not for me.

You probably need ro take off those red tinted glasses .VDV far superior on what basis do you judge that ?

He left Atletico after one season ,he only started 10 league games for them as he couldn't break up the Godin/Miranda partnership. No shame in that Iirc Atletico had the best defensive record in La Liga that season by a considerable distance .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Atletico played him out of position at right back for most of his time there. Terrible misuse of him by them.

He'd be a great signing for any team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Ooooooooooooook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

yabadabado wrote:
    Alderweireld is a better centre back than all those mentioned. He is world class and whoever signs him will be improving the team straight away. He walks into any team in EPL.

I'd be wary of saying he's world class. Being one of the better centre backs at PL level is a lower level than it is in all of Europe.
    If he was world class he'd have went somewhere significant before he was 29 or he'd have stayed at Atletico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

ERG89 wrote: »
    I'd be wary of saying he's world class. Being one of the better centre backs at PL level is a lower level than it is in all of Europe.
    If he was world class he'd have went somewhere significant before he was 29 or he'd have stayed at Atletico.

Or indeed, if he was the best defender in the EPL, Spurs would not have frozen him out for so long last year. They simply wouldn't have been able to afford to, notwithstanding the contract dispute. A good defender no doubt, but as good as some are describing him, I don't think so.

I'd have him up there with the best in the EPL
    He's up there with the best around any club in Europe imo.Not many clubs where he wouldn't be a regular starter,Real being the standout but you could make a case for him at most top clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Or indeed, if he was the best defender in the EPL, Spurs would not have frozen him out for so long last year. They simply wouldn't have been able to afford to, notwithstanding the contract dispute. A good defender no doubt, but as good as some are describing him, I don't think so.

A friend of mine who is a staunch spurs fan thinks Alderweirald the best in the league. He also thinks that as soon as he fell out with the manager he was finished at the club. Poch runs a very tight ship and supposedly doesn’t forgive once you fall out with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

There’s a touch of whataboutery in this post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Can you not be world class at Spurs?

Kane must be there or thereabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Rose and walker have got similar treatment when not commitung to a new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

utter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

You're dead right, an uninjured Bailly with a run of games is.

Seems to have joses backing this year too so that'll be a filthy cb pairing if alderweirald comes in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Toobz wrote: »
    You're dead right, an uninjured Bailly with a run of games is.

Seems to have joses backing this year too so that'll be a filthy cb pairing if alderweirald comes in.

No one can say Bailey is the best centre back in the league. He's missed more games than he's played for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Toby and Van Dijk best centre backs in the league imo.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »

Agree with that.

Think Liverpool should have went for him this summer myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Agree with that.

Liverpool wouldn't spend big money on a player of that age even if levy would sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Liverpool wouldn't spend big money on a player of that age even if levy would sell.

2 years ago it was that Liverpool wouldn’t spend that much money on one player.

I don’t understand a club that actually wants to win titles or champions league, setting limitations on who a manager can sign if that player is exactly what the first team needs. Liverpool have not looked this capable of putting in a decent challange in a long time.

From a united perspective, as far as I am concerned the glazers have gotten 3 of the 5 transfers they wanted, now pony up for a player the manager can immediately use. Don’t care his cost, he takes united up a level now so buy him and stop haggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

adox wrote:
    There’s a touch of whataboutery in this post.

Not at all. World class centre backs are as good as extinct now and the good ones are at the top clubs in Europe who challenge and win leagues. In the last few years you had the likes of Wes Morgan, David Luiz and Otamendi get team of the year honours in England which says it all. If I were United I'd have

Lucas Hood wrote:
    Can you not be world class at Spurs?
    Kane must be there or thereabouts.

Kane would never be dropped like Rose or Alderweireld were. He's been their best player for the last 3 years and as good as he's been there is always talk of him needing to leave to push on for a reason.
    Spurs are looking at Jack Grealish all summer. I can't say bringing in him will help improve on last season.
    If I was Kane I'd give it a year or 2 at Spurs to see are they moving forward & challenging most years if not he should look to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1025798838072881155

"BREAKING: Bournemouth have agreed a club-record £25m fee with Levante for Colombia midfielder Jefferson Lerma. He will travel to England for a medical this weekend. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Hey keep transfer news out of the "how good is Toby " thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

A half fit vincent kompany better than them both!

Not at all. World class centre backs are as good as extinct now and the good ones are at the top clubs in Europe who challenge and win leagues. In the last few years you had the likes of Wes Morgan, David Luiz and Otamendi get team of the year honours in England which says it all. If I were United I'd have

Judge Alderweireld against his peers ,as good as whats around at the moment. There are very few better centre backs in the world than him currently playing .

Team of the year is a fairly pointless metric to use.

If You were United you'd have .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Gayle swap for Rondon close between Newcastle and WBA.

Agree with that.

and bench "world cup" Lovern?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Jesus wept

He is grand . Only signed a new 5 year deal the other day.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Judge Alderweireld against his peers ,as good as whats around at the moment. There are very few better centre backs in the world than him currently playing .

Team of the year is a fairly pointless metric to use.

If You were United you'd have .......

Varane
    Ramos
    Godin
    Gimenez
    Van Dijk
    Bonucci (not the AC Milan version)
    Pique
    Umtiti
    Chiellini
    Koulibaly

all better than Alderweireld.

• And so it begins :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

And so it begins :P

Surprised it took so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mike Ashley such a cheapskate
    Newcastle want to sign Danny Ings on a loan deal which will be made permanent for £15m if they stay up

Apparently there is a queue forming for Ings no doubt working on the principle that he'll fill out the English quota and might just stay fit. 15m will not get him.

Blazer wrote: »
    utter nonsense.

Utter nonsense that is isn't dominant in the air :rolleyes:

van-dijk-table-green-1-768x368.jpg

pace is more subjective but I would not consider him quick but it isn't a huge flaw as he reads the game very well.

A good defender no doubt but not world class

Good signing for Man Utd as well but not the best CB in the league.

Very selective picking of stats there when the other 2 suggest he's as good as the other if not even better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

There's a handful of players who could be called best in the league. Toby is one of them. There's arguments back and forth why he is/isn't that are derailing the v thread a tad. He's what United need and they've loads of money so really it's a no brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Van Dijk, lol

SM01 wrote: »
    There's a handful of players who could be called best in the league. Toby is one of them. There's arguments back and forth why he is/isn't that are derailing the v thread a tad. He's what United need and they've loads of money so really it's a no brainer.

I just hope they pay more for him than we did for VVD, so I can get on my high horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

£60m but that’s according to the tabloids though so that probably includes wages, signing on bonuses and any add-on clauses :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

astradave wrote: »
    £60m but that’s according to the tabloids though so that probably includes wages, signing on bonuses and any add-on clauses :D

Give it a few more hours and he'll be getting 300k a week per the tabloids. Inflation is mad.

Varane
    Ramos
    Godin
    Gimenez
    Van Dijk
    Bonucci (not the AC Milan version)
    Pique
    Umtiti
    Chiellini
    Koulibaly

all better than Alderweireld.

Thanks for backing up my post.As I say very few better centre backs in the world than him.

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    Thanks for backing up my post.As I say very few better centre backs in the world than him.

You have backed up nothing.

I suggest you watch some games outside the EPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Christ above

Alderweireld getting better as it gets closer to deadline day.

Ballon d'Or favourite come August 9th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

How does he compare to Pique is the big question.

• Advertisement
Advertisement