Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread Bonanza (World Cup watch included)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

MD1990 wrote: »
    Varane
    Ramos
    Godin
    Gimenez
    Van Dijk
    Bonucci (not the AC Milan version)
    Pique
    Umtiti
    Chiellini
    Koulibaly

all better than Alderweireld.

That's cute......I remember when i had my first beer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Alderweireld getting better as it gets closer to deadline day.

Ballon d'Or favourite come August 9th.

In reality most people seemed to rate Alderweireld very highly over the last few years. Its only around the last week or so some are saying he is too slow/not world class. Wonder why?

pjohnson wrote: »
    In reality most people seemed to rate Alderweireld very highly over the last few years. Its only around the last week or so some are saying he is too slow/not world class. Wonder why?

Don't know, maybe ask them? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

You have backed up nothing.

I suggest you watch some games outside the EPL.

Good lad ,you clearly have your housework done..

Don't know, maybe ask them? :confused:

Your claim of "getting better" was the confusing thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

MD1990 has always had reservations about alderweireld to be fair to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Alderweireld the season before last was hands down the best center back in the league.

However Alderweireld has pretty much missed an entire year of football will he return the same player that's a big gamble to to take for most club and however if any club can risk £60m+ on a player that hasn't played much in a year it's Man U the richest club in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

You have backed up nothing.

I suggest you watch some games outside the EPL.

Well now that Dunphy has retired we are in need of someone to provide us with that exclusive continental knowledge :pac:

pjohnson wrote: »
    Your claim of "getting better" was the confusing thing.

Hey, maybe he is one of the best in the world. Lets wait and see though? He's 29 so he's in the prime of his career territory.

Same BS when VVD went to Liverpool. Best in the league, one of the best in the world blah blah. Go out and ****ng prove it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Fantastic player and United would certainly be better having signed him, if he's the same player he was in 16/17.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

A reminder that Gus Poyet had the opportunity to sign Alderweireld on loan at Sunderland but wanted Coates instead.

If I didn’t laugh, I’d cry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Paully D wrote: »
    A reminder that Gus Poyet had the opportunity to sign Alderweireld on loan at Sunderland but wanted Coates instead.

Jaysis didn't know that. I'd say Alderweirweld is happy enough to have dodged that bullet. How Poyet still has a job I dont know

yabadabado wrote: »
    I'd have him up there with the best in the EPL
    He's up there with the best around any club in Europe imo.Not many clubs where he wouldn't be a regular starter,Real being the standout but you could make a case for him at most top clubs.

Unless he doesn't make a sign for Man Utd, in which case he will be back to being OK.

Paully D wrote: »

Was that from Athletico Madrid? Why did they let him go anyway? Southampton surprise surprise got him on loan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Unless he doesn't make a sign for Man Utd, in which case he will be back to being OK.

He has been consistently very highly rated by fans of a lot of teams. It is the height of stupidity to decide a player is better or worse than what you thought the week before simply because he is signing for a team you like or you don't like.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

He has been consistently very highly rated by fans of a lot of teams. It is the height of stupidity to decide a player is better or worse than what you thought the week before simply because he is signing for a team you like or you don't like.

Absoloutely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    MD1990 has always had reservations about alderweireld to be fair to him.
    Reservations a bit strong but I don't rate him as highly as others

Hopefully that isn't directed at me because I have stated my opinions on Alderweireld well before he was linked with Man Utd.

Still a good signing though. No doubt about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

duffman13 wrote: »
    Jaysis didn't know that. I'd say Alderweirweld is happy enough to have dodged that bullet. How Poyet still has a job I dont know
    Was that from Athletico Madrid? Why did they let him go anyway? Southampton surprise surprise got him on loan!

Yeah, it was in that summer that he ended up going to Southampton.

Mail:
    When Sunderland sporting director Lee Congerton set up a deal to bring in Atletico Madrid’s Toby Alderweireld in the summer, Poyet intervened and let the player’s agent know the defender would not figure if he signed.

Guardian:
    Poyet, despite his frequent moans about a lack of autonomy, had a big say in transfers, sabotaging Congerton’s summer attempts to sign Micah Richards and Toby Alderweireld while being permitted to recruit the ineffective Will Buckley, Sebastián Coates, Ricardo Álvarez and Santiago Vergini.

Mirror:
    Even this past summer he struggled badly. Congerton reportedly set up a deal to bring in Atletico Madrid’s Toby Alderweireld and also wanted Micah Richards, but Poyet vetoed both deals, choosing Sebastian Coates instead.

Liverpool choose Ilori over him in 2013.

Mad decision that one.

• Advertisement

Hopefully that isn't directed at me because I have stated my opinions on Alderweireld well before he was linked with Man Utd.

Still a good signing though. No doubt about that.

No no not directed at you, I have no idea what your opinion on him was before and I have no reason to doubt you are being honest so I accept your arguments. Just a general point more in response to the guy I quoted.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

TitianGerm wrote: »
    No one can say Bailey is the best centre back in the league. He's missed more games than he's played for United.

And it looks like he's gone again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Mina close to Everton for 28m

Leicester sign Ghezzal from Monaco, if hes anything like their last left footed Algerian right winger they'll be chuffed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

It's idiotic to say I'm only saying he is top class now because he might join United.Such a lazy comment.

Doesn't matter where he does or doesn't go ,he's a brilliant CB .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Seeing as it looks like Bailly is injury prone and Lindelof hasn't really worked out, United are stuck with Jones, Smalling and Rojo. Signing Alderweireld would be like signing a prime Nesta or Maldini compared to what they have. Is he worthy of the touted 60m, probably not due to age but I don't think any fan cares about transfer fees for their own club once they get a player they need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Surprised Leicester went for Ghezzal. Decent player on his day but inconsistent. I think there's better options in Ligue 1 than him. I reckon he'll be a bit like Boufal at Southampton.

Keen to see how Diakhaby fares at Huddersfield. I think they may have got the better deal but time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Chambers may be heading to Fulham on loan.

Rumours that Boateng or Vida may be going to Arsenal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Real pain in the hole the way Uniteds summer has gone. Best finish in the league since SAF time and completely fluffed it.

The signings should have been done early, at least earlier than the last few days of a window to actually allow the new players to have some pointless games getting to know their new teammates ( I could give a **** about performances or results in pre season, they are fitness exercises and getting time on the field together for new teammates and thats all they ever will be besides commercial exertions)

With some of the mistakes made in the last number of years I shouldn't be surprised at what has happened but I am. I'm shocked that this situation has been allowed to happen.

Serious questions need to be asked about the direction the club is going, what the actual aims are. Becoming the new Arsenal isn't going to sit well with the United fanbase (or any self respecting fan base) The areas that needed improvement have been obvious for so long that with a world cup summer and shorter window the eye should have been firmly on the ball and it has been dropped. It doesn't matter what happens between now and the end of the window either, the team is going to be starting the season hamstrung.

Toby? Maguire? Mina? Whoever the target was they should be at the club by now, to go into the new season with Shaw and Young as full backs and sacrificing the right side of the pitch offensively again is just ridiculous. Jose will ultimately take the blame if things go pear shaped quickly and criticism of him is valid in some areas but I feel cheated by the club going in to this season already and that is not just down to him.

We will be playing catch up from the start now and given the gap to City last season giving them a headstart is unforgivable.

I see tweets from a lot of Man U ITK Journo’s all saying Man U voted against the new transfer closing date when they are talking about transfers.

What has Man U voting against it got to do with not getting transfers done it’s a level playing field for all clubs.

Are the journo’s being fed this line by the club to lower transfer expectations?

• Advertisement

I see tweets from a lot of Man U ITK Journo’s all saying Man U voted against the new transfer closing date when they are talking about transfers.

What has Man U voting against it got to do with not getting transfers done it’s a level playing field for all clubs.

Are the journo’s being fed this line by the club to lower transfer expectations?

Everyone knew the deadline so I'd be surprised if any club used it as an excuse.

The error was choosing a world cup summer to make the change, that said everyone knew.

The vote was in September 2017 so plenty of time to plan.

It just seems to be coming from transfers connected to Man U I don't see it mentioned with any other club.

That's what makes me wonder is it being fed to those Journo's by the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

The vote was in September 2017 so plenty of time to plan.

100%, it won't wash with anyone if even if the club try peddle that line to fans. It's a ridiculous rule if brought in isolation, great one if all of Europe follows suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

There are no Melissa reddys or like Kop journalists to do to PR work for Manutd.

The Journo's connected to Liverpool even the so called ITK's are more and more now being put on the outs in the last season and a half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Witsel signed for dortmund

Made a sh1t load of money in China now back to play some proper football for a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Made a sh1t load of money in China now back to play some proper football for a few years.
    Still earning a sh1tload by any stretch of imagination, as he is supposed to be getting 200K a week in Dortmund.

• Advertisement

I would imagine there is no way any team in Germany is paying players that much money ok maybe a few of the Munich players are on that kind of money but very few would be.

My guess max he would be on is €80k a week and I'm over guessing there.

Willian making noises that he's happy at Chelsea and staying put.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Does Duncan Castles only do Mourinho’s PR work and not the club’s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Turtyturd wrote: »

Will prob start on wolves soon if not already. Mendes being the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

I would imagine there is no way any team in Germany is paying players that much money ok maybe a few of the Munich players are on that kind of money but very few would be.

It is closer to €155K + a week. Will make him one to the clubs top earners and more or less he replaces Auba on the wages list. He just arrived at the team hotel and should train tomorrow. Medical is already done.

Jose to Wolves you say ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Turtyturd wrote: »

Only Jose.
    Duncan Castles, Daily Record, December 2, 2016

Manchester United have opened discussions with Benfica over the January transfer of Sweden international Victor Lindelof. According to sources familiar with the negotiations, Lindelof is first on a list of central defenders drawn up by Jose Mourinho to strengthen a back four that has proved problematic during the new Old Trafford manager’s initial months at the club’

Duncan Castles, Daily Record, June 11, 2017

‘Manchester United have agreed an initial fee of €35million for the transfer of Sweden international Victor Lindelof from Benfica. As reported by Record Sport Online in December, the Old Trafford manager asked United to bring Lindelof to Old Trafford in the winter window. Benfica, however, demanded an unrealistic fee of €60m before extending the Swede’s contract to 2021 on substantially improved terms. Lindelof’s ability to build play from the back is understood to be an important factor in Mourinho’s pursuit of the player’ –

Duncan Castles, Sunday Times, July 29

‘A year ago, United settled on Victor Lindelof because the Benfica-based Swede was cheaper than more polished options’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Willian making noises that he's happy at Chelsea and staying put.

LOL what a worm

Deffo a case of Duncan Castles Tragic rather than Duncan's Castle Magic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

It's not a secret that Reus is on almost 200K a week as well, since he renewed last year. Even Schuerrle was (is) on 95K and Goetze is on something like 135K as well.

Advertisement