Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread Bonanza (World Cup watch included)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

astradave wrote: »

Allison didn't stay the record fee for a keeper for very long at all.

De Gea will be worth 500m if he ever leaves United.

TitianGerm wrote: »

Or 400m without bonuses!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Lukker- wrote: »
    Chelsea have an option to buy in the Kovacic loan deal.

https://twitter.com/pbsportswriter/status/1027118286176169984

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

De Gea will be going nowhere for a long time now with Tbo at Madrid, unless PSG replace Buffon at the end of next year and ya, De Gea will go for 100m+ if it does happen.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    De Gea will be going nowhere for a long time now with Tbo at Madrid, unless PSG replace Buffon at the end of next year and ya, De Gea will go for 100m+ if it does happen.

Oh I doubt he'll leave now unless something mad happens.

Courtious signing for Madrid is the best bit of business United could have hoped for since the day the fax machine broke down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Lukker- wrote:
    Chelsea have an option to buy in the Kovacic loan deal.

As said in the above tweet he needs a restart he never really got going at Real or even Inter. I wouldn't bet him joining Chelsea next summer unless his form improves this season.
    Bad news for the likes of Barkley and Loftus-Cheek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Yeah, PSG next up on the GK merry-go-round I reckon. I can't really understand why DDG stayed and didn't push to get back to Spain, tbh. Delighted that he didn't, but with a missus living in Madrid and playing for a lesser team, I don't really understand his logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Yeah Kovacic is a question mark simply because he hasn't played too much regularly. There is a good player in there somewhere and with Jorginho and Kante he should thrive in that 3. A loan with no pressure to buy is a great move for Chelsea though, absolutely nothing to lose.

Oh I doubt he'll leave now unless something mad happens.

Courtious signing for Madrid is the best bit of business United could have hoped for since the day the fax machine broke down.

Madrid had no interest in De Gea after that too, as De Gea himself cooled on the idea of returning to Spain after some bad experiences with the national team. He felt he never got the credit he deserved because he plays outside of Spain, and he's probably right. I think he feels more secure with United, where he's a 2 time player of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Lukker- wrote: »
    Madrid had no interest in De Gea after that too, as De Gea himself cooled on the idea of returning to Spain after some bad experiences with the national team. He felt he never got the credit he deserved because he plays outside of Spain, and he's probably right. I think he feels more secure with United, where he's a 2 time player of the year.

De Gea could have easily run down the contract and signed on free transfer, with huge signing bonus but he signed new contract with ManUtd.

After that Madrid were not interested as they won't pay the asking price, which was completely shot up once he signed new 5 year contract.

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    As said in the above tweet he needs a restart he never really got going at Real or even Inter. I wouldn't bet him joining Chelsea next summer unless his form improves this season.

He was a player Zidane trusted at Madrid, and did well when called upon. But he was competing with probably the best CM pairing in the world.

He was excellent for Inter at times too, but fell out with Mancini, and the club sided with Mancini who left anyways. Inter would love to have him back IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

No hope of him going to PSG, he only really wanted to go to Madrid as his partner was based over there..

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    De Gea could have easily run down the contract and signed on free transfer, with huge signing bonus but he signed new contract with ManUtd.

After that Madrid were not interested as they won't pay the asking price, which was completely shot up once he signed new 5 year contract.

That's what I mean, he had no interest in going to Madrid or back to Spain. Hence signing the new contract, which in fairness was probably more than what he would have got at Madrid, but he lost the signing bonus too. He was on a fairly basic wage packet before that if I recall.

IMO he's perfectly happy at United, and he probably won't leave. He's adored by the fans, is one of the most important players on the team and he's compensated as well as he would be at PSG or Madrid. No reason to leave, he knows United will get it right on the pitch eventually too.

His biggest issue was he was never good enough for the support roles at Madrid with Bale, Ronaldo and Isco all being first choice and in CM, it was Kroos and Modric with Casemiro.

Hes a decent player but all 6 of them guys are better than him at every position he could possibly flourish.

I think Barkley will get more game time than RLC who could well go on another loan but if I was Chelsea id be desperately trying to off load Drinkwater on a transfer or loan with option to buy to someone, anyone.

Hes the biggest waste of money we've had in recent times.

Lukker- wrote:
    He was excellent for Inter at times too, but fell out with Mancini, and the club sided with Mancini who left anyways. Inter would love to have him back IMO.

Yes at times he was but not for any significant stretch of time. I'm sure Inter would take him back now as they dropped Vidal for Modric and will likely end up with neither.

astradave wrote: »
    No hope of him going to PSG, he only really wanted to go to Madrid as his partner was based over there..

Personally, ya, hes got no links to Paris but if PSG can get Barca from Neymar, I wouldn't rule them out of getting any player TBH.

It would of course need De Gea to push for a move but he seems quiet settled in Manchester so I cant see it happening but my point really was, they're probably the only club who could possibly tempt him now but I see him at Utd for the next few years yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Villa refusing to sell Grealish. Did Spurs have a plan B?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Villa refusing to sell Grealish.

I reckon another few million might tempt them but since theyre take over, the impending doom of FFP is all but gone so theyre in a better position to tell Spurs do one.

Spurs having not signed anyone is very strange, I wonder what it will do to Poch, I cant see him walking but in 12/24 months time if another project comes up and Spurs haven't kicked on, he might have had enough of Levys penny pinching.

I also say that on the same morning Chelsea spend 72m on a GK. :pac:

I reckon another few million might tempt them but since theyre take over, the impending doom of FFP is all but gone so theyre in a better position to tell Spurs do one.

Spurs having not signed anyone is very strange, I wonder what it will do to Poch, I cant see him walking but in 12/24 months time if another project comes up and Spurs haven't kicked on, he might have had enough of Levys penny pinching.

I also say that on the same morning Chelsea spend 72m on a GK. :pac:

Jose leaves United and United go after Poch. They back him and he goes on to get more from the players already there, brings in some new faces and gets United challenging again.

Jose leaves United and United go after Poch. They back him and he goes on to get more from the players already there, brings in some new faces and gets United challenging again.

Could very well work but would Poch go to another PL club? I dont think he would straight away without another job in between, unless it turned very sour at Spurs for him, Levy or the players.

• Advertisement

Given the "backing" Jose got this window I'd doubt Poch would wanna go to United.

Given the "backing" Jose got this window I'd doubt Poch would wanna go to United.

I dont want to drag this wildly off topic, but player for player, Utd are stronger than Spurs everywhere bar the backline.

I reckon if Utd fans could cherry pick their next manager with their current squad, I imagine Poch would be high up on that list.

Could very well work but would Poch go to another PL club? I dont think he would straight away without another job in between, unless it turned very sour at Spurs for him, Levy or the players.

He'd definitely take the United job. He's not been backed at Spurs and that won't happen at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

It's a pretty easy conversation for the Utd Board with Poch. "We stuffed Jose because we really wanted you" I think the Utd job is an easy sell if he fell out with Spurs.

GavRedKing wrote:
    I dont want to drag this wildly off topic, but player for player, Utd are stronger than Spurs everywhere bar the backline.

Imo Kane is the best no.9 I'm the league, by a significant margin too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

gimli2112 wrote: »
    It's a pretty easy conversation for the Utd Board with Poch. "We stuffed Jose because we really wanted you" I think the Utd job is an easy sell if he fell out with Spurs.

That, and the reason they dont seem to be backing Jose is he wants older players.

Feels like Poch would get on the "Young with potential" train the board want to ride way quicker and more efficiently.

Less than 29 hours in the English window left.

Utd still seem to be looking for a CB, not sure on first team outgoings but havent heard anything concrete or reliable.

Chelsea have a GK all but wrapped up and could be moving for Kovacic and a very outside and unlikely chance of Fekir, you can expect a raft of loan deals for youngsters and a few first team players too with Courtois to be done to Real very soon.

Arsenals and Pools incoming business look done at this stage, Chambers has gone to Fulham on loan and Pool could off load a few of Origi, Ings or one of their senior GKs.

Spurs haven't even got going yet but have approached Grealish and could lose Alderweirld.

Looks to be still a bit of business left to do for the top 6 sides and West Ham are still buying all round them, an interesting one is Wolves getting Adoma Traore, who looks like he could be very good if he had a bit of brain on his shoulders.

Imo Kane is the best no.9 I'm the league, by a significant margin too.

Ya, agree thats hes best in the league but Lukaku and Aguero arent far off him at all TBH.

Utd still seem to be looking for a CB, not sure on first team outgoings but havent heard anything concrete or reliable.

Chelsea have a GK all but wrapped up and could be moving for Kovacic and a very outside and unlikely chance of Fekir, you can expect a raft of loan deals for youngsters and a few first team players too with Courtois to be done to Real very soon.

Arsenals and Pools incoming business look done at this stage, Chambers has gone to Fulham on loan and Pool could off load a few of Origi, Ings or one of their senior GKs.

Spurs haven't even got going yet but have approached Grealish and could lose Alderweirld.

Looks to be still a bit of business left to do for the top 6 sides and West Ham are still buying all round them, an interesting one is Wolves getting Adoma Traore, who looks like he could be very good if he had a bit of brain on his shoulders.

United are sending Tim Fosu-Mensah to Hertha Berlin but must be waiting until Valencia returns to send him on his way.

• Advertisement

United are sending Tim Fosu-Mensah to Hertha Berlin but must be waiting until Valencia returns to send him on his way.

I really hate deadline day and all the BS Sky build it up to be but it could be interesting this time around considering how early the window closes compared to Europe.

Ya, agree thats hes best in the league but Lukaku and Aguero arent far off him at all TBH.

Lukaku goes off the boil a bit though. Aguero, Kane and Firmino for what he brings to the team are the best in the league IMO.

I really hate deadline day and all the BS Sky build it up to be but it could be interesting this time around considering how early the window closes compared to Europe.

I think the league want the 25 man squads confirmed tomorrow aswell so there could be a fair few players left at a club unregistered to play with the club hoping they can be shifted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Kovacic is coming, which means drinkwater and Baka leave either on loan or transfer, Baka to Milan

cant see Fekir coming

just hope sarri can get the forwards actually scoring!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Weren't Madrid after Kepa before? All the talk is about him going to Chelsea. Kepa is as good as Courtois imo, if I were in charge of Real Madrid I would be much more interested in Kepa as he is Spanish and hasn't gone on strike to force a move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The closing of the English window tomorrow might actually be good for English football in the long term..

The can still sell player abroad after tomorrow till the end of the month and this might see English players actually take the chance and move to teams in other Countries if they see they won't get game time in England.

The one issue always said about English players is the don't go abroad to play and grow as players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

eagle eye wrote: »
    Weren't Madrid after Kepa before? All the talk is about him going to Chelsea. Kepa is as good as Courtois imo, if I were in charge of Real Madrid I would be much more interested in Kepa as he is Spanish and hasn't gone on strike to force a move.

yes for 20 million but he said he wasnt ready to move and signed a new contract with AB, and they said he would unbalance the squad!!

He is basque so probably Barca be a better fit for him

Be interesting to see what happens as both De Gea and Courtois needed time to adapt to english league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Not sure Man Utd need a CB so badly.

Lindelof was poor at first but when I saw him in the 2nd half of last season he looked a good player. Bailly is a very good CB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MD1990 wrote: »

Lindelof was poor at first but when I saw him in the 2nd half of last season he looked a good player. Bailly is a very good CB.

Taken off early in a recent friendly, is he injured?

Kovacic is coming, which means drinkwater and Baka leave either on loan or transfer, Baka to Milan

cant see Fekir coming

Ya, its highly unlikely.

Think it was more or less buzzed after Giroud said he had a word in his ear once the Pool move fell through and that Hazard was talking to him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

MD1990 wrote: »

Their main issue is they're all pretty mediocre after Bailly, I'd imagine you want 2 who you can build a partnership around, and none of Smalling, Jones or Lindelof are that guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

cant see Fekir coming

I reckon Sarri has taken a bit of a shine to DannyD, he's bang average but he's come on in the Jorgninho hole every time we've made subs in preseason... He's got the work rate and valuably (sp?) is English and happy to chill on a bench. I'd let Bakayoko off the hook though, AC would be a good loan move for him.

hots wrote: »
    Their main issue is they're all pretty mediocre after Bailly, I'd imagine you want 2 who you can build a partnership around, and none of Smalling, Jones or Lindelof are that guy.

Gary J Cahill is that answer.

30m please and thanks Man Utd.

<<

>>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Yeah Kovacic is a question mark simply because he hasn't played too much regularly. There is a good player in there somewhere and with Jorginho and Kante he should thrive in that 3. A loan with no pressure to buy is a great move for Chelsea though, absolutely nothing to lose.
    Is there a problem with his attitude? Did he not throw a strop at the World Cup, story put out that he refused to be a sub or something?

Is there a problem with his attitude? Did he not throw a strop at the World Cup, story put out that he refused to be a sub or something?

Not the same player

That was Kalinic, who was then sent home by Croatia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

So surprised at spurs going for grealish

Attitude was terrible before Terry signed and got him on the straight and narrow.

Tbh I'd be wary about him in the bright lights of London

Kiith wrote: »

I'd say if Villa got that bid a few weeks before the take over they would have been all for it but theyre in a better place now.

Also, even if Spurs gave them 30/35m who, at this stage would Villa get in that could do his job for the money they have.

Hes pretty priceless to them in this market, maybe if Villa are well off the pace of the top 2 in January they could let him leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Leaving the bid this late just shafts Villa, no time to buy a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

So surprised at spurs going for grealish

Attitude was terrible before Terry signed and got him on the straight and narrow.

Tbh I'd be wary about him in the bright lights of London

More Bruce than Terry to be honest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement