Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread Bonanza (World Cup watch included)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Dunno.

Think Bruce himself even praised terrys impact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

AdamD wrote: »
    Leaving the bid this late just shafts Villa, no time to buy a replacement.

Thats it really, Spurs were meant to be chasing all summer but Grealish was on the beach all summer, if they really wanted him, the 25m could have gotten him back in July, leaving it with under 30 odd hours left in the window to get him will only upset Villa and the player.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I don't disagree with any of that. It's our own fault that we're in this situation, and who ****ing knows what the actual plan was.

Kiith wrote: »
    I don't disagree with any of that. It's our own fault that we're in this situation, and who ****ing knows what the actual plan was.

We're not that much better TBH, we're spending £70m on a GK because the board f**ked up with Courtois and we're only going to recoup half that for a better GK.

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm a bit surprised that Chelsea just didn't pay Oblak buyout clause and get a proven keeper for a couple of million more.

Unless Oblak made it know behind the scenes that he was happy where he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

John mcginn centre mid to villa.

Surely the replacement for grealish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Celtic have matched the bid according to Neil Lennon

I'm a bit surprised that Chelsea just didn't pay Oblak buyout clause and get a proven keeper for a couple of million more.

I said it earlier, he'd be mad to move.

Atletico have a very good side now, kept Griezmann and signed Lemar, they'll run Barca close and could get over the line for a UCL if they get lucky.

Chelsea are nowhere near that level at the moment and he'd be taking a step down coming here, even if we offered him 150k a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

United playing a dangerous game not backing Mourinho. He will turn the atmosphere toxic if he doesn't get what he wants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

His buyout clause doubled this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

rob316 wrote: »
    United playing a dangerous game not backing Mourinho. He will turn the atmosphere toxic if he doesn't get what he wants.
    He has the most expensive player in England, the best GK in the world, the highest paid player in England, the most expensive striker in England, five international centre backs, bought a 50m reserve this summer - why should they back him?

Before the WC it was pretty close between who would start out of Jones, Cahill and Maguire. Paying the money quoted for someone like him would be insane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

How is he the replacement since Grealish is not being sold.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

He has the most expensive player in England, the best GK in the world, the highest paid player in England, the most expensive striker in England, five international centre backs, bought a 50m reserve this summer - why should they back him?

Before the WC it was pretty close between who would start out of Jones, Cahill and Maguire. Paying the money quoted for someone like him would be insane

I think City have a more expensive squad now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

City have the most expensive squad. He still doesn't have any decent full backs. Those 5 CBs include Rojo, Jones and Smalling. And Fred wasn't bought as a reserve.

A lot is made of the money spent, but few mention how much was wasted on duds by Moyes and LVG and how far behind Citys squad Utds was when Mourinho took over.

I have major issues with his tactics, but he's 100% correct about the squad issues that he inherited which still haven't been addressed after 3 summers.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I think City have a more expensive squad now.
    They probably do, but the aim shouldn't be to spend £70m on Harry Maguire to top them, it should be to make the best out of what you have, bring through young players, and spend when there are great players available or glaring holes in the squad. In Utd's current squad there are 25m+ options available in every single position. With the possible exception of LB (which is partly Mourinho's fault), I don't see any gaps at all, nor is anyone being linked possibly a new Ronaldo or someone that would clearly take them to another level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/TimNash_1/status/1027208860585656320

Anderlecht defensive midfielder Leander Dendoncker, 23, is due at Compton later today for talks and a medical with a view to joining @Wolves for a fee thought to be around £12m.

Wolves building a decent enough team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They probably do, but the aim shouldn't be to spend £70m on Harry Maguire to top them, it should be to make the best out of what you have, bring through young players, and spend when there are great players available or glaring holes in the squad. In Utd's current squad there are 25m+ options available in every single position. With the possible exception of LB (which is partly Mourinho's fault), I don't see any gaps at all, nor is anyone being linked possibly a new Ronaldo or someone that would clearly take them to another level

Was Shaw not 30m? Or am I way off the mark?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Who's the 50m reserve United bought this summer ?

He has a fullback who was the most expensive teenager in the UK at the time, looked like he had a lot of potential but he hasn't given him a chance and destroyed his confidence. And he has a 20m right back for some reason, together with an Italian international.

His CBs include two of the top 15 or 20 most expensive CBs ever signed anywhere, both signed by him but he doesn't seem to trust his own judgement for some reason. CMs - three signed by him for huge amounts of money. CF - signed by him. LW - signed by him on an insane salary. Other than that you have Martial, Herrera, Fellaini, Perreira, Rashford, Mata, Lingard so I don't see any gaps in that squad at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Getting an attack of lukaku, Pogba, martial, rashford, Sanchez and mata functioning should be his priority.
    Pep, Klopp or Poch could do alot with that attack.

I would agree the centre back and full backs are very average or injury prone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

https://twitter.com/TimNash_1/status/1027208860585656320

Anderlecht defensive midfielder Leander Dendoncker, 23, is due at Compton later today for talks and a medical with a view to joining @Wolves for a fee thought to be around £12m.

Wolves building a decent enough team.

I call bùllshïte. Dendoncker isn't Iberian so can't join them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

He has a fullback who was the most expensive teenager in the UK at the time, looked like he had a lot of potential but he hasn't given him a chance and destroyed his confidence. And he has a 20m right back for some reason, together with an Italian international.

His CBs include two of the top 15 or 20 most expensive CBs ever signed anywhere, both signed by him but he doesn't seem to trust his own judgement for some reason. CMs - three signed by him for huge amounts of money. CF - signed by him. LW - signed by him on an insane salary. Other than that you have Martial, Herrera, Fellaini, Perreira, Rashford, Mata, Lingard so I don't see any gaps in that squad at all

Are we talking about Luke Shaw who's professionalism was also questioned by LVG, Pochetino and Roy Hodgson? Darmian who's asked to leave the club to return to Italy (And is rubbish)? A 19 year old with 6 senior games to his name?

Utd badly needed 2 full backs this summer and none were signed. That would have been the same whoever was manager. Pep didn't rate the FBs and city and spent £150m replacing them.

Just over 24 hours left

xgz9nkR.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Wolves train at Compton?

That's class ,tunes in my head now,dre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Are we talking about Luke Shaw who's professionalism was also questioned by LVG, Pochetino and Roy Hodgson? Darmian who's asked to leave the club to return to Italy (And is rubbish)? A 19 year old with 6 senior games to his name?

Utd badly needed 2 full backs this summer and none were signed. That would have been the same whoever was manager. Pep didn't rate the FBs and city and spent £150m replacing them.

I assumed it was Valencia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Lads Mourinho spent the 3rd most and finished 2nd, Klopp spent the 2nd most finished 4th, Pep has spent the most and won the league.

United do not have the quality City do, 15-20 points is a fair reflection of the difference between the sides. Liverpool will probably improve about 15 points this season but City will still get 95+, United in 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Lads Mourinho spent the 3rd most and finished 2nd, Klopp spent the 2nd most finished 4th, Pep has spent the most and won the league.

United do not have the quality City do, 15-20 points is a fair reflection of the difference between the sides. Liverpool will probably improve about 15 points this season but City will still get 95+, United in 3rd.

City and Liverpool in most cases tend to improve their players tho, United the last few years haven't made the most of the likes of Pogba, Sanchez, Martial or even an academy player like Rashford.
    If this leads to Jose going it might be the best thing for them long term. I don't even know why they're prioritising is a centre half over a full back or right winger but I guess Jose knows best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Are you only looking at spend and not net spend ?Over what timeframe?Liverpool have had to sell what at the time they were sold arguably their best players. Suarez,sterling and coutinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Is this true? I know after this summer Klopp has spent *more in total since both arrived but after last summer, January and the previous windows they've been at United and Liverpool I was sure Mourinho had spent more.

*not looking for a net spend debate.

Last summer City spent the most £217m followed by Chelsea £202 then Man U with £170m then Everton with £153m then Liverpool with £90m followed by Spurs with £61m.

Even if you count the January window Liverpool still spent less than Man U.

City spent the most and won the league.

Chelsea spent the second most and finished fifth

Man U spent third most and finished second.

Everton spent the fourth most and finished eight.
    Everton still fourth after January
    Liverpool spent the fifth most and finished fourth.

Spurs spent sixth most and finished third.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11015137/premier-league-transfers-how-much-did-your-club-spend

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    City and Liverpool in most cases tend to improve their players tho, United the last few years haven't made the most of the likes of Pogba, Sanchez, Martial or even an academy player like Rashford.
    If this leads to Jose going it might be the best thing for them long term. I don't even know why they're prioritising is a centre half over a full back or right winger but I guess Jose knows best.

Mourinho improved the players enough to finish 2nd, do you believe United’s squad is as good as City’s? If not I don’t see what point you’re trying to make here

• Net spend again :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Is the Pogba to Barca story likely to rumble on for another 3 weeks till the Spanish window closes? Reports in the papers that he has told team mates he is desperate to leave but also that Utd do not plan to sell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Is the Pogba to Barca story likely to rumble on for another 3 weeks till the Spanish window closes? Reports in the papers that he has told team mates he is desperate to leave but also that Utd do not plan to sell him.

Probably, it's all they will have left really isn't it once the English clubs can't sign anyone.

Tibo should be gone soon enough, can't think of any other name they can use for a click getting saga....

Comes with the territory really, anything United related is big news doesn't have to be true, history has shown that time and again.

I wouldn't pay it any heed if that's what your worried about, he's going nowhere this window. It's too late, no replacement can be got.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Mourinho improved the players enough to finish 2nd, do you believe United’s squad is as good as City’s? If not I don’t see what point you’re trying to make here

I believe that if you swapped managers Guardiola would be getting a lot more out of that squad, they'd play far better football, be closer to City than they were last season & there would be more quality in the squad considering the money spent in the last few years.

ERG89 wrote: »
    I believe that if you swapped managers Guardiola would be getting a lot more out of that squad, they'd play far better football, be closer to City than they were last season & there would be more quality in the squad considering the money spent in the last few years.

The money spent in recent years is second place money, we finished second, switching manager to go from finishing second on 81 points to finishing second on a few more points is a bizarre suggestion.

The idea that we didn’t play good football for the majority of last season is a myth, we picked up 25 points from 36 against City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, Everton. Only City picked up more on 28, Spurs 3rd with 19. Our problem was against the crap at the end of the table who turned us over who we should have beaten regardless of tactics, we created plenty of chances but the likes of Martial, Rashford and Pogba consistently fluffed their lines.

Anyway, this thread isn’t for discussing United last season, and going by some of the statements you have made I’m not sure you even watched United last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Last summer City spent the most £217m followed by Chelsea £202 then Man U with £170m then Everton with £153m then Liverpool with £90m followed by Spurs with £61m.

Even if you count the January window Liverpool still spent less than Man U.

City spent the most and won the league.

Chelsea spent the second most and finished fifth

Man U spent third most and finished second.

Everton spent the fourth most and finished eight.
    Everton still fourth after January
    Liverpool spent the fifth most and finished fourth.

Spurs spent sixth most and finished third.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11015137/premier-league-transfers-how-much-did-your-club-spend

This is weird. Looks like they have underegged the likes of Walker and Mendy and decided to stick Lukaku at 90m.

Will Barca do this season with Pogba what they did last season with Coutinho?

No, as they probably won't find buyers for the likes of Dembele, Gomes in time plus United will be more reluctant than Liverpool were to sell due to Pogba has not developed sudden injuries in transfer windows yet.
    But I expect Real to do something big in the next 3 weeks, won't involve Pogba though.

• Advertisement

Come back in the next window? Possibly. He might outlast Mourinho then and end up staying.

Could all be an elaboarte plan to get a new contract anyway.

Did Madrid sign Mbappe or was that a dream I had?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Well they don't have the Neymar money to overpay with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Did Madrid sign Mbappe or was that a dream I had?

Dont eat cheese this late again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

AdamD wrote: »
    Leaving the bid this late just shafts Villa, no time to buy a replacement.

Is this just silly buggers from Spurs?

Spin out a yarn 'we've offered 25/30/35 million for Grealish' but have left it so late that the deal will never work, but Levy can shrug and say to the fans 'look, we offered top dollar to try to get Grealish'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

Think the spurs fans will be happy they didn't get him! He gets no where near that squad to be fair! Best he could hope for is a few cup games

• Advertisement

Just under 9 hours to go in the window.

Are Spurs stuck for cash or just not ambitious for this season ? Can't believe they haven't strengthened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Seen this this morning, there is a couple of reports of the same, wonder if Mbappe is on the move

https://twitter.com/rbairner/status/1027440711245987841?s=21

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Are Spurs stuck for cash or just not ambitious for this season ? Can't believe they haven't strengthened.

If they finish top 4 without spending any money they'll have done really well.

No idea why they didnt capitalise on a few good seasons and finishing top 4, maybe they dont feel like theres any value in the market and dont want to be bent over a barrel for a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,559 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Plus they have a new stadium to pay far that has apparently gone way over budget

• Advertisement
Advertisement