Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread Bonanza (World Cup watch included)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If they finish top 4 without spending any money they'll have done really well.

No idea why they didnt capitalise on a few good seasons and finishing top 4, maybe they dont feel like theres any value in the market and dont want to be bent over a barrel for a player.
    It might be a good thing for them as another year with the same group may be a sign of stability in the squad. Players familiar with each other etc.

Ideally though I think one or two additions always helps freshen the squad and keeps players on their toes.

Can't say the same for United who are clearly lacking something in their squad. The back four aren't good enough (particularly when Bailly isn't fit) and they need a right winger in the worst way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I so want this to be true :pac:

You’ll have to click into it to see the best part.

https://twitter.com/quicklykevin/status/1027283050617597952?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Lads Mourinho spent the 3rd most and finished 2nd, Klopp spent the 2nd most finished 4th, Pep has spent the most and won the league.

United do not have the quality City do, 15-20 points is a fair reflection of the difference between the sides. Liverpool will probably improve about 15 points this season but City will still get 95+, United in 3rd.

People can dress it up however they want, but Manchester United should not be celebrating or justifying second place in any way, shape or form.

Wage bill is by far the better indicator of performance than transfer spend and United’s is reportedly only £4m less than City’s, which is relative pennies at the top table.

They should not be this far behind.

Paully D wrote: »

It can't be...but agree it's a wonderful image.

But surely Villa would know a Solicitor's email with a copy of the contract attached beats a car chase to wrestle him back every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

Had to LOL at this:

No way bruce will catch him there are loads of burgerkings between the midlands and london and he will want to stop at everyone of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

It can't be...but agree it's a wonderful image.

But surely Villa would know a Solicitor's email with a copy of the contract attached beats a car chase to wrestle him back every time.

Well not really every time, John obi Mikel anyone? Though Chelsea had to give United money in that deal :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Sounds like Dream Team

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Are Spurs stuck for cash or just not ambitious for this season ? Can't believe they haven't strengthened.

Neither can we. The only reason i can see is that Levy won't pay the fees required for the players Poch wants, or won't pay the wages that is required for quality signings. Poch has said the team needs to strengthen, and do so early, but here we are with 8 hours to go and no signings.

We will be stronger than last year, assuming no injuries, but everyone else will have improved as well, so it could be a rough year. If we don't sign anyone, and fail to make the top 4, it will be a disaster.

8 hours to go

10hF35D1139_zps5ee5ba2d-1.gif~c200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Kiith wrote: »
    Neither can we. The only reason i can see is that Levy won't pay the fees required for the players Poch wants, or won't pay the wages that is required for quality signings. Poch has said the team needs to strengthen, and do so early, but here we are with 8 hours to go and no signings.

We will be stronger than last year, assuming no injuries, but everyone else will have improved as well, so it could be a rough year. If we don't sign anyone, and fail to make the top 4, it will be a disaster.

If you don't make top 4 do you think the team will start to break up?

One year out and it could be very very hard to get back in, especially when Sarri and Emery have a year behind them.

• Advertisement

Absolutely, and the problems that could bring - New stadium costs, no CL money, and the possibility of losing top players. Risky strategy by Spurs imo.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    If you don't make top 4 do you think the team will start to break up?

Yeah, i'd expect the likes of Kane and Eriksen (and maybe a few others) to leave if we don't get Champions League football. And i wouldn't blame them. They are good enough to expect that from their team.

I think we'll actually get top 4 again this year though. I'm just in a negative mood with how bad this window has gone so far :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Yeah, i'd expect the likes of Kane and Eriksen (and maybe a few others) to leave if we don't get Champions League football. And i wouldn't blame them. They are good enough to expect that from their team.

I think we'll actually get top 4 again this year though. I'm just in a negative mood with how bad this window has gone so far :pac:

There was actually talks of Eriksson to Real (Di Marzio link, not sure if he's reliable) if Modric leaves for Inter.

https://gianlucadimarzio.com/it/inter-modric-la-strategia-del-real-e-lattesa-dei-nerazzurri-la-cronaca-della-giornata

I think Top 4 really depends on how Chelsea and Arsenal settle. Could be very close between everyone bar City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

TitianGerm wrote: »
    There was actually talks of Eriksson to Real (Di Marzio link, not sure if he's reliable) if Modric leaves for Inter.

https://gianlucadimarzio.com/it/inter-modric-la-strategia-del-real-e-lattesa-dei-nerazzurri-la-cronaca-della-giornata

I think Top 4 really depends on how Chelsea and Arsenal settle. Could be very close between everyone bar City.

City and Pool should be nailed on for top 4.

I'd still fancy Utd to take a top 4 spot so it really should be between Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea for the other one but if Jose does have a meltdown, it could drag Utd backwards and into the mix but that remains to be seen.

It's hard to know what Chelsea and Arsenal will be like. Neither have been hugely active in the transfer market (i think), so it really depends on what their respective managers can do. And as much as i don't think it will happen, i would find a Jose meltdown very enjoyable :P

Spurs apparently had a €40 million bid for Brozovic turned down. Or it could just be bull****, like most ITK's.

https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri/status/1027469380924395520

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

People can dress it up however they want, but Manchester United should not be celebrating or justifying second place in any way, shape or form.

Wage bill is by far the better indicator of performance than transfer spend and United’s is reportedly only £4m less than City’s, which is relative pennies at the top table.

They should not be this far behind.

United made lots of mistakes since Ferguson left that has set them back years

If Mourinho came in after Fergie the club wouldn't be in this state.

When it's reported Ashley Young is on 100k a week it sums up how badly the club is being run.

So many average players on huge wages and when you want to sell the player they don't want to decrease there wages.

Surprised Spurs not buying a CM.

Dembele only a year left. Wanyama injury prone,Dier in poor form, Winks out injured.

Sissoko not good enough. Someone like Lemina would be a good signing.

It's hard to know what Chelsea and Arsenal will be like. Neither have been hugely active in the transfer market (i think), so it really depends on what their respective managers can do. And as much as i don't think it will happen, i would find a Jose meltdown very enjoyable :P

Spurs apparently had a €40 million bid for Brozovic turned down. Or it could just be bull****, like most ITK's.

I still think we're very light on RW quality and we should have sold Willian and got in Bailey.

Huge questions marks over CF with Morata or Batshauyi.

Happy with Kovacic and Joringo.

Kepa, huge potential but the fee will distort any kind of sloppy or poor performance.

I think the shift to "Sarri-ball" might be ugly at times and we'll picked off against high pressing sides early doors but we'll be there or there abouts come May, I still think the top 6 will finish in the same order as last year, I just hope we win the EL to get CL football for next year.

7 hours.

<<

>>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I think Arsenal have done very well in the market. They have added experience to their defence which was their weak area. Up front they have a great attack. Plenty in midfield to create chances and now their defence should be solid enough. Great window for them and I think they will do very well this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1027478100467245056

Breaking | @mohamedbouhafsi confirms that Marseille midfielder André-Frank Zambo Anguissa has agreed to a move to Fulham; finishing touches being put to an agreement between the 2 clubs, a deal which will cost €30m. Medical will happen in Marseille

Some of the lower level clubs have spent huge amounts.

PL gravy train rolls on.

<Says fan of a club spending 70m on a GK>

:pac:

Ligue 1 clubs must love the English tv money.

With how many players they develop they can just sell one or two players for 40-50m to an english & then bring through smone more younger players.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/sportingintel/status/1027468315629953024?s=19

No surprise who's bottom of this table. May pencil them in to be relegation candidates tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Bottom clubs usually do alot in the last few hours.

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/sportingintel/status/1027468315629953024?s=19

No surprise who's bottom of this table. May pencil them in to be relegation candidates tbh.

There's only 16 clubs on it :cool:

RoboKlopp wrote:
    There's only 16 clubs on it

Click on the pic. Its Newcastle and Watford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Spurs have bought know one yet.

I wonder does Pochettino regret signing that new contract.

Click on the pic. Its Newcastle and Watford.

Ah cheers, was only seeing as far as Palace!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Spurs have bought know one yet.

I wonder does Pochettino regret signing that new contract.

I highly doubt it, if he wants to go later down the road he will go anyway and also signing players for the sake of signing players is not the right thing to do. I am sure he is loving his fat new wage packet.

• Advertisement

KingdomYid wrote: »
    I highly doubt it, if he wants to go later down the road he will go anyway and also signing players for the sake of signing players is not the right thing to do. I am sure he is loving his fat new wage packet.

Very true the Man U job could there soon for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Must have included keitas fee in that for pool

well-look-at-s3g4ca.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Fulham are being linked with Sergio Rico, would be a decent coup tbf.

I'm sure there are fans of clubs like Leeds that look at Spurs and Levy and think...when they were in the top tier, if only they had a chairman with the sense to consolidate every now and again and not constantly chase the next bank bursting transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sky making up a United move for Godin. Why the hell would he move to United from AM?

Zinchenko apparently reluctant to leave City's bench and join Wolves to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

pjohnson wrote: »
    Zinchenko apparently reluctant to leave City's bench and join Wolves to play.

the down-side of the modern game , is the increase in the lazy footballer - happy to soak up high wages just wasting on a bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Mina is supposed to be on his way to Goodison , still awaiting confirmation on Bernard

rob316 wrote: »
    Sky making up a United move for Godin. Why the hell would he move to United from AM?

Theyed offer a hell of lot more money, especially with 5 hours left in the window.

I think its a load of BS anyway, cant see that one happening at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Everton people are in Barcelona and both Yerry Mina and Andre Gomes are undergoing medicals with them there right now

Didnt Barca only sign Mina for about 10m in January?

What are Everton paying, 25/30m?

Laois_Man wrote:
    Everton people are in Barcelona and both Yerry Mina and Andre Gomes are undergoing medicals with them there right now

If they scrape back what they paid for Gomes the man who sells him should be carried through the streets on the shoulders of Messi & Puyol.

European clubs must love the English transfer windows for putting up the price on players to sell to England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Theyed offer a hell of lot more money, especially with 5 hours left in the window.

I think its a load of BS anyway, cant see that one happening at all.

He has a 25m€ release clause, everywhere reporting it now, not just Sky.. no indication that Godin will move though and he wants to sign a new contract with Atleti is the word in spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Didnt Barca only sign Mina for about 10m in January?

What are Everton paying, 25/30m?

Think they paid £11.5 million (might have been Euros) and I think Everton are paying £28 Million
    If they scrape back what they paid for Gomes the man who sells him should be carried through the streets on the shoulders of Messi & Puyol.

The Gomes move is a loan

Apparently Courtois AND Moses have had their images removed from Chelsea "wall".

Is Moses off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Danny Simpson out of Leicester squad for tomorrow.

A move to Wolves is on the cards.

• Advertisement

Everton at it again.

Paying 30m for Mina after he scored some headers in the WC.

He was terrible at Barcelona.

Advertisement