Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread Bonanza (World Cup watch included)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Unai Emery to Arsenal is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Johner wrote: »
    Unai Emery to Arsenal is done.

Yep, Ornstein reporting it as done so just the official announcement now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Think Emery is a very good appointment. He won't be overawed by the job, he knows how to deal with huge expectation levels, he's worked with big name players, likes his sides to play attacking football.

Arteta may well turn out to be a good coach but this job would have been a huge one for a first post, and he would have had to learn on the job. A few bad results and the pressure would have been enormous. I think he would have struggled.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

astradave wrote:
    Yep, Ornstein reporting it as done so just the official announcement now

This David Ornstein I take it??

https://twitter.com/IMF_X/status/998635646519476224?s=19
    Think Emery is a very good appointment. He won't be overawed by the job, he knows how to deal with huge expectation levels, he's worked with big name players, likes his sides to play attacking football.

Thought he did poor at PSG especially in the first season he should have been sacked but his work at Sevilla was less ambitious but far more impressive. Smarter appointment than Arteta who had no staff coming, only a "Pep rates him" recommendation

ERG89 wrote: »
    This David Ornstein I take it??

https://twitter.com/IMF_X/status/998635646519476224?s=19

Thought he did poor at PSG especially in the first season he should have been sacked but his work at Sevilla was less ambitious but far more impressive. Smarter appointment than Arteta who had no staff coming, only a "Pep rates him" recommendation

Yep he is the closest you will get to club announcements for Arsenal.. keep an eye on his Twitter when he says arsenal are signing someone :D the replies are brilliant..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Emery did well at Sevilla thanks to Monchi's recruitment.

Average coach very surprising apointment for Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

A bit like Real but worse, PSG is a garbage job.

I can't imagine Tuchel is going to do much better, if at all.

I can't really think of a much better appointment Arsenal could have pulled off.
    He's a good manager. I can't see him tearing up trees, challenging for the title in a year or two, but it's as good a pair of hands to manage the transition as any.

In this league, making the top 4 consistently is doing well.

Arsenal have a lot of rebuilding ahead. There's not much to build around right now that'll be a constant for 5 or 6 seasons.
    They need a new young core to be implemented while the likes of Mhktarian, Ozil and Aubamayang keep them afloat for a few years.

Gbear wrote: »
    A bit like Real but worse, PSG is a garbage job.

I can't imagine Tuchel is going to do much better, if at all.

I can't really think of a much better appointment Arsenal could have pulled off.
    He's a good manager. I can't see him tearing up trees, challenging for the title in a year or two, but it's as good a pair of hands to manage the transition as any.

In this league, making the top 4 consistently is doing well.

Arsenal have a lot of rebuilding ahead. There's not much to build around right now that'll be a constant for 5 or 6 seasons.
    They need a new young core to be implemented while the likes of Mhktarian, Ozil and Aubamayang keep them afloat for a few years.

Isn't that what Wenger did for years! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If I was going to appoint a ligue 1 manager it would Leonardo jardim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Isn't that what Wenger did for years! :P

I think the test is in how the league has become a 6 team league rather than 3 or 4.

And also the one time everyone else slipped up they failed to capitalise.

It wasn't always getting a passing grade that eventually pushed Wenger out. It was doing better than that when he needed to.

Taking over from Wenger is a different job than being Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,975 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think it's a great appointment and I think his style is suited to the EPL. I expect him to do very well there. I think the PSG job is a nightmare for anybody. He got sacked because he lost to Real Madrid in the Champion's league, that's the team that has won the last two Champion's league titles and beat Bayern Munich in the semi-final.

His team won the league title by 13 points and were only 3 points off the record set by Laurent Blanc's side two years ago. Blanc got canned after that season because he only made the quarters of the Champion's league too.

Crazy club imo.

Gbear wrote: »
    I think the test is in howthat the league has become a 6 team league rather than 3 or 4.

And also the one time everyone else slipped up they failed to capitalise.

It wasn't always getting a passing grade that eventually pushed Wenger out. It was doing better than that when he needed to.

Taking over from Wenger is a different job than being Wenger.

In fairness, he's taking over at a good time. Arsenal surely can't be worse in the league next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

https://twitter.com/City_Watch/status/998266528138190848

Yaya Toure could be heading to West Ham due to his relationship with Pellegrini.

Haven't they got enough ex-City players years past their best already? :confused:

https://twitter.com/skysportspl/status/998663630651641857?s=21
    “Tottenham and Everton are interested in Lille midfielder Yves Bissouma, according to Sky Sources.

Schalke 04 and Monaco are also monitoring the 21-year-old Mali international. “

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Poor enough appointment in my humble opinion. Still, better to get the guy on a hiding to nothing out of the way straight away I suppose.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

MD1990 wrote: »
    Emery did well at Sevilla thanks to Monchi's recruitment.

Average coach very surprising apointment for Arsenal.

City only play nice football because they outspend everyone else

I'm sorry but that is nonsense. Even with the best DoF in the world, the coach is still the one organizing and motivating the team. Recruitment is just part of the processes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Im surprised West Ham manged to get Pellegrini with Everton also looking for a manager.

Good bit of business for the hammers though, the old fella is happy with him although after Moyes, I think he was always going to be happy. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Rafa is the man Arsenal should of appointed, glad they didn't though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Lukker- wrote: »
    City only play nice football because they outspend everyone else

I'm sorry but that is nonsense. Even with the best DoF in the world, the coach is still the one organizing and motivating the team. Recruitment is just part of the processes.

He had 3 third placed finishes in a row with Valencia as well. He's a good coach who was on a hiding to nothing at PSG.

PSG seem to expect the French league, TBF, they should win it every year, its a bit like Scotland, about 2 games a year that theres a challenge.

The real test of PSG is when they go to the CL and it seems like the owner expects to win that too but theyre not a true European super club, not in the mold that they can hire/fire managers based on winning or not winning the CL.

Its probably the worst job you can have in football in that regard, you'll clean up domestically but will be judged on the CL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Im surprised West Ham manged to get Pellegrini with Everton also looking for a manager.

Good bit of business for the hammers though, the old fella is happy with him although after Moyes, I think he was always going to be happy. :o
    He won't be happy by mid September when they are playing some chap up front from the Eircom league and some spoilt brat of a son is tweeting about who they are after

https://twitter.com/footballitalia/status/998989743819055110?s=19

Probably came a year too late considering how many flops they signed last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

PSG seem to expect the French league, TBF, they should win it every year, its a bit like Scotland, about 2 games a year that theres a challenge.

The real test of PSG is when they go to the CL and it seems like the owner expects to win that too but theyre not a true European super club, not in the mold that they can hire/fire managers based on winning or not winning the CL.

Its probably the worst job you can have in football in that regard, you'll clean up domestically but will be judged on the CL.

Not sure they wanted to win the CL, they certainly wanted to reach the latter stages though. Huge disappointment to lose to Real Madrid who looked completely out of form in La Liga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

He won't be happy by mid September when they are playing some chap up front from the Eircom league and some spoilt brat of a son is tweeting about who they are after
    Can't be too many forwards who would have played in the Eircom League playing at that level after all these years.

Maybe Jason Byrne might take a move to the Boleyn Ground. He'd get a run out in the Milk Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/TimSparv/status/998832388728815616

Worth posting just for the way he announced his contract extension.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

https://twitter.com/TimSparv/status/998832388728815616

Worth posting just for the way he announced his contract extension.:)
    Just copying Mousa Dembele who did it better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/23/carlo-ancelotti-new-manager-napoli-sarri-serie-a

Ancelotti taking over at Napoli.

Sarri mentioned as a Zenit target in here - he had been heavily linked with Chelsea in recent months.

Article also mentions that Napoli would waive the compensation fee for Sarri if David Luiz is given to them in a cut-price deal.

If Sarri does go to Russia, who does leave for Chelsea? Luis Enrique?

https://twitter.com/footballitalia/status/999320349006286848?s=19

Think Sarri going All In for Serie A was a huge mistake. Basically threw the cups & resting players on match day 1 in the Champions League was ridiculous in hindsight. Even then the front 3 ran out of gas so fast & were way back on last season. Certainly where Sarri goes next he needs to utilise the whole squad & watch his behaviour.
    Kinda sad the whole Napoli thing. Hamsik being linked with China & Jorginho's agent spending the last 3 months talking about interest in his client ain't a great position to be in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

L'Equipe reporting that Angers striker Karl Toko Ekambi is off to Villarreal for just under €20m with the deal to be completed by the end of the week. He'd been linked with a few Premier League clubs and had previously turned down Brighton last August. Excited to see how he does in La Liga. He did very well this past season, scoring 17 goals, including against Marseille, Nice, Lyon and PSG. For that money I think he's well worth a punt and should be a good replacement for Bakambu. (Still sad that Bakambu took the move to China as he was doing so well)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/footballitalia/status/999318686770057217

Alvaro Morata photographed in Milan with his agent and #Juventus director Fabio Paratici today

Vidal on his way to Napoli.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/footballitalia/status/999318686770057217

Alvaro Morata photographed in Milan with his agent and #Juventus director Fabio Paratici today

Vidal on his way to Napoli.

According to the twitterati it’s not him in the tweet going around, he was playing in Pirlos testimonial and then flew out to Chile

I wouldnt be surprised if Morata ended up back in Italy TBH.

Hes had a torrid 6 months in the PL after a good start.

I wouldnt be surprised if Morata ended up back in Italy TBH.

Hes had a torrid 6 months in the PL after a good start.

Looks like the pressure got to him being the main man, at least he can be in Higuains shadow if he goes back to Juve.

Had a big post typed out that disappeared. :pac:

Gist of it was hes the ultimate confidence player, before Christmas he got 10 PL goals for us and he was pretty good, since then hes got only 1 and hes been awful, missing sitters left right and center.

Milan are meant to be interested too in Morata.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Aren’t Milan under pressure from FFP? Although if City PSG etc aren’t then I guess no one will be

Had a big post typed out that disappeared. :pac:

Gist of it was hes the ultimate confidence player, before Christmas he got 10 PL goals for us and he was pretty good, since then hes got only 1 and hes been awful, missing sitters left right and center.

Milan are meant to be interested too in Morata.

Yeah heard he was close to Milan alright but they couldn’t get an agreement with Uefa over FFP so doubt they will be going big this summer.

You don’t need to write a big post to me about Morata, I’ve been a big fan of his, wanted him at United last summer too. Disappointed it difnt really work out

Aren’t Milan under pressure from FFP? Although if City PSG etc aren’t then I guess no one will be

Milan's new owner is about as rich as anyone on here. When you have to get loans to make 10 million payments something is very dodgy.

MrMac84 wrote: »

FFP hasnt been taken seriously anyway so I wouldn't worry about it.

Its a good buzzword but nothing else.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

DiMarizo saying that United have the Fred deal pretty much done at €50m, are put off by SMS's €100m valuation, and are eying up either Mandzukic or Arnautovic.

• Advertisement

FFP hasnt been taken seriously anyway so I wouldn't worry about it.

Its a good buzzword but nothing else.

Milan's case is a bit more that they are tied to a hedge fund and have vastly over-leveraged the club as an asset against borrowing.

The takeover is being investigated for money-laundering and the business plans/payment packages they offered to UEFA and the Italian FA have both been rejected to the point that Fiorentina, Torino and Sampdoria have been told that one of them will be given Milan's spot in the Europa League next season. There's even a few questions about whether they will even be admitted to Serie A without a major overhaul of their finances in the meantime.

It is expected they will have wholesale changes, with the likes of André Silva moving to clubs like Wolves for £30m+ to offset the loan damage.

FFP is a buzzword but this looks like something that is set to be enforced as it goes beyond spending too much on transfers.

I didnt realise it was that bad at Milan. :o

Fire sale of players in the summer could be interesting.

If a club can be bothered to deal with Raiola, Donnarumma would be a huge capture for some clubs.

If a club can be bothered to deal with Raiola, Donnarumma would be a huge capture for some clubs.

Donnarunma was linked to Liverpool in the Italian papers yesterday for something like 40/45m euros(can’t remember the figure)

Yep, they've made a right balls of it!

Issue for them, I think, is that an awful lot of their players won't generate significant income. Donnarumma will and there seems to be some value to Silva despite his 1 goal return (the benefit of an agent that part owns the club interested in you I guess...) but beyond that, I reckon there aren't too many who will get big bids from outside Italy.

Suso is pretty highly rated and Calhanoglu is handy but, otherwise, it's slim pickings. Maybe Musacchio or Romagnoli?

Yep, they've made a right balls of it!

Issue for them, I think, is that an awful lot of their players won't generate significant income. Donnarumma will and there seems to be some value to Silva despite his 1 goal return (the benefit of an agent that part owns the club interested in you I guess...) but beyond that, I reckon there aren't too many who will get big bids from outside Italy.

Suso is pretty highly rated and Calhanoglu is handy but, otherwise, it's slim pickings. Maybe Musacchio or Romagnoli?

2 or 3 years ago I'd have had Ricardo Rodriquez as a good LB option when Chelsea were looking for a LB, not sure how hes done since his move though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

2 or 3 years ago I'd have had Ricardo Rodriquez as a good LB option when Chelsea were looking for a LB, not sure how hes done since his move though.

His part time job took a lot of his attention for awhile

DelayedCharmingBovine-max-1mb.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Lord TSC wrote: »
    DiMarizo saying that United have the Fred deal pretty much done at €50m, are put off by SMS's €100m valuation, and are eying up either Mandzukic or Arnautovic.

Arnautovic isn't good enough for United imo. Mandzukic would be handy back up though and wouldn't cost a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Arnautovic had a pretty good finish to the season. He only scored his first goal in Dec, but yet finished on 11 goals. I think he started playing as a striker too? Anyways not starting quality for a big club, but could be a decent rotation/impact player, depending on the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Seems the rumours of Fekir to Liverpool have some truth to them.

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/999764486784503808?s=19

Edit: Bascombe with an article in the Guardian now as well.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/05/24/liverpool-target-nabil-fekir-new-coutinho-can-help-bridge-gap/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm shocked! :D

Guardian say £70m is the proposed cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Brighton taking full use of the early window. In addition to Balogun (Nigerian CB) they have now added Andone a Romanian striker.

• Advertisement
Advertisement