Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread Bonanza (World Cup watch included)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Fulham done very well, big ambition there.

Poor Rafa at Newcastle, making a profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

https://twitter.com/adamleitchsport/status/1027587584111857665
    Understand that a late possibility has cropped up which #saintsfc have been trying to rush through.

At this stage it is still unclear whether they submitted the paperwork before the 5pm deadline to grant them an extension to get the deal completed

And yes, it's Danny Ings

Absolutely no excuse not to have their homework in on time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

rob316 wrote:
    Just catching the last 20 mins of it on sky. Seen better acting in an epileptic whore house.

You are a sick man.

Wolves, Fulham and Liverpool have probably done the best squad business albeit not all paying the same fees - though Wolves broke their transfer record twice in a week - Traore and Dendoncker

edit - it's a loan. Odd sure they were after a permanent deal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Absolutely no excuse not to have their homework in on time.

Yeah but Mark Hughes wants to spend silly money who are we to deny him??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

So what was the strangest thing this window?

Goalkeepers are the new No 10.
    Spurs don't need players (or sell them for that matter). The first PL club since the window was introduced not to buy a player.
    Everton buy a new team. Again.
    Wolves buy a new team. And then the squad players.
    Utd linked to every CB going back to Bobby Moore but end up with none and still have two ageing converted wingers as first choice full backs.
    Chelsea lend players to every team from the PL down to the Beezer Homes League. Then borrow one themselves.

Looking at it all, I think Spurs are the sane ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Officer999

Lukker- wrote: »
    Kovacic.

Most importantly kept Hazard. I think not signing a striker will be a mistake though, but Sarri possibly has plans to try Hazard there similar to Mertens.

Nothing stopping Real coming back in to sign Hazard before the end of the month.

Courtois even made a little remark in reference to this during his press conference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Spurs lack of ambition will eventually cost them Kane or Poch, or both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

happy with the everton tranfers today - Fulham pushing on - signed Anguissa for 30 million and Seville goaly Rico - they have a good manager , played good football last year - they could surprise

• Advertisement

Officer999 wrote: »
    Nothing stopping Real coming back in to sign Hazard before the end of the month.

Courtois even made a little remark in reference to this during his press conference

Wanna bet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Standing still is rarely a good option in sports. Every one of their rivals have strengthened to different levels. I'd be pissed if I was a Spurs fan.

Real must be planning on throwing some cash around at another attacker, 100m from Ronaldo sale plus the insane wages off the books. Right now is a good time for all the big hitters outside of England to go buying players, no English clubs ready to throw large fees and wages around to compete with.

Lukker- wrote:

Even if they signed Grealish what would it have added. To me they just want to get top 4 next year in the new stadium but after that I'd love to know what the story is as keeping Kane & Eriksen is great but they are building on the same team the last few years and it's fallen short.
    I'll be interested in seeing Fulham, West Ham, Everton and Wolves they spent a good bit but I get the feeling a few of them may fall flat on their faces.
    Newcastle I think may be f**ked after the window a cancerous, fat slob of an owner who will go out of his way to ruin any situation they get in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lukker- wrote:
    Wanna bet?

Why would you want to put a bet on something that you have little to zero knowledge about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

eagle eye wrote: »
    Why would you want to put a bet on something that you have little to zero knowledge about?

cough..did you see the pm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

United are not in a bad place at all. Last year they were probably overly optimistic and although they finished second their quality of play was dogsh*te and were it not for De Gea being super human they would have been f*cked...but anyway they got second and that's all that matters. This year expectations are probably much lower which could suit them. They have something to prove and not much to lose.

There's clearly a number of fans upset with not enough business being done in the window but there is still a good bunch of players there and the question lies in can they get something going. No excuses, players like Pogba, Sanchez and Rashford have to stand up and show what they can do. Lingard stepped up last year and went from a dab merchant to a guy more than able for the England XI. Whatever about Rashford, Sanchez and Pogba should be hammering teams and giving Lukaku and Matic some help in leading the team. They should make do with the defenders they have and Fred should be a great signing and perhaps the missing link. Martial might be a lost cause at this stage but if Jose could somehow get him back on board then they should be fearing nobody in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Officer999

Wanna bet?

Why?

10 deals yet to be finalised according to the guardian blog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Officer999 wrote: »
    Why?

I don't think we will let Hazard go now without being able to sign a replacement. I think he will still join Madrid just not this window. There's a risk of letting him go next summer for a cut price fee similar to Courtois this season but I'd be hopeful he signs a new contract in the meantime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Iago wrote: »
    cough..did you see the pm?

They can still sell,just not buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Top ten summer signings involving PL clubs in my humble opinion:

1. Alisson
    2. Naby Keita
    3. Fabinho
    4. Riyad Mahrez
    5. Jorginho
    6. Jean Michael Seri
    7. Ricardo Pereira
    8. Joao Moutinho
    9. Aleksandar Mitrovic
    10. Lucas Torreira

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Top ten summer signings involving PL clubs in my humble opinion:

1. Alisson
    2. Naby Keita
    3. Fabinho
    4. Riyad Mahrez
    5. Jorginho
    6. Jean Michael Seri
    7. Ricardo Pereira
    8. Joao Moutinho
    9. Aleksandar Mitrovic
    10. Lucas Torreira

Liverpool fan by any chance? :pac:

Liverpool fan by any chance? :pac:

Far from it, but Liverpool's activity in the transfer market has been outstanding. Was close to putting Shaqiri on my list too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Chelsea have a very large squad now. RLC and Drinkwater aren't gunna be in demand for European clubs and will hardly drop to the Championship.

Enjoyable transfer window it must be said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

pjohnson wrote: »
    Chelsea have a very large squad now. RLC and Drinkwater aren't gunna be in demand for European clubs and will hardly drop to the Championship.

Bench could be

Fabregas,Moses,Giroud,Batshauyi,Abraham,Pedro,RLC,Drinkwater,Barkley,Cahill,
    David Luiz, Hudson Ohoi,Bakayoko,Emerson, Zappacosta,Musonda,Aina

Some need to leave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Poch not buying anybody could be a blessing for spurs. He's easily the worst manager at signing players . Has wasted over 200m

Strambouli 7m
    Fazio 13m
    Nkoudou 12m
    Njie 16m
    Janssen 20m
    Foyth 12m
    Llorente....sissoko...

How he avoids getting more stick for that side of things is beyond me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Poch not buying anybody could be a blessing for spurs. He's easily the worst manager at signing players . Has wasted over 200m

Strambouli 7m
    Fazio 13m
    Nkoudou 12m
    Njie 16m
    Janssen 20m
    Foyth 12m
    Llorente....sissoko...

Fair point, some of those fees were a bit daft.

I'd say Llorente was a decent signing for them, they needed back up at CF.

He just never gets a chance with Kane always on fire!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Strambouli 7m
    Fazio 13m
    Nkoudou 12m
    Njie 16m
    Janssen 20m
    Foyth 12m
    Llorente....sissoko...

Lucas moura and davinson sanchez? Did he sign alderweield and wanyama also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

batistuta9 wrote: »
    no chance of them still going?

Late reply but no hope.

Not this summer, next year though, I wouldnt rule out Hazard going to Madrid depends on how we do this year.

pjohnson wrote: »

I think we'll nearly fully rotate from the Europa League.

I still think Batshuayi and Bakayoko will leave to a European side before the end of their window, both on loan.

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I think we'll nearly fully rotate from the Europa League.

I still think Batshuayi and Bakayoko will leave to a European side before the end of their window, both on loan.

Musonda will be getting another European loan according to Nizaar Kinsella.

Bakayoko seems Milan bound.

I think Sarri and Bats will assess each other for the opening few weeks to see what the potential is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

sugarman wrote: »
    Few duds there, but small money really ...and I think the top players he has signed by far outweigh the bad.

In no particular order... Son, Wanyama, Moura, Alderweirld, Trippier, Dier and Alli. More or less the back bone of the current side.

Exactly, no manager is infallible in the transfer market.

Is there any indication that they were all players he wanted? No manager has full control over signings anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Strange transfer window for utd. I was convinced they would get alderwereld. Id love to know what the reason is for the failure to sign a couple more players. Where the targets unrealistic ? When it was clear they weren't getting those targets did they not have a back up plan ? Did the board want a different profile of player than Jose ( possibly younger players) ? Do the board think he needs to improve what he has ? Do players now view Utd as a less attractive proposition than they used to?
    I still think they should get second if everyone is pulling in the same direction but I'm not sure they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

What are the thoughts on Toby now, will he be benched, play a bit part or be a regular starter? I wonder did he try to push a move, really surprised he stayed at Spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

sugarman wrote: »
    Few duds there, but small money really ...and I think the top players he has signed by far outweigh the bad.

In no particular order... Son, Wanyama, Moura, Alderweirld, Trippier, Dier and Alli. More or less the back bone of the current side.

Son great signing but was about 35m ... so nothing special there

Wanyama. Meh

Moura...hasnt done anything yet

Toby , great signing

Trippier , poch wanted him on the bench until walker forced a move away and he had to play him. Walker started 90% of games ahead of him

Dier... very meh. Don't think he'd get a game at any other top 6 team

Alli - always spouted by poch fans but tbh this one has to go to spurs scouting team. Poch arrived in May. Alli arrived during the end season. There's no chance in hell poch had spent his time scouting the lower divisions for potential talent. Had to be a scout call from the previous season. We can get a young talent for 5m... Yeah sure why not. No way he identified the talent himself.

I think poch is getting away with murder. Fantastic coach. No doubt. Excellent. But blessed he had Kane and blessed he had lloris

Edit - There's no way it's small.money either. The duds I've listed there are about 130m sterling. There's plenty more too. And that was a couple years ago when players were cheaper.

Strambouli 7m
    Fazio 13m
    Nkoudou 12m
    Njie 16m
    Janssen 20m
    Foyth 12m
    Llorente....sissoko...

A.quick search suggests some of your figures are miles off eg. Strambouli's Wikipedia entry says bought for 4.7m, far less than you say, sold for 6m (citing the BBC). Not a success, but a 30% profit is certainly not the calamity you suggest. Furthermore, other lists like this..

https://www.totalsportek.com/money/premier-league-clubs-transfers-net-spend-last-5-years/

place Spurs near the bottom of the net spending league. Which is not to say he hasn't made mistakes, but one suspects far less than managers at clubs around him, and not fitting your "worst at signing players/getting away with murder" theory.

Michy Batshauyi off to Valencia for a season long loan.

Chelsea left with Morata, Giroud and Abraham.

Could be a dangerous gamble, time will tell.

Edit : Zouma follows him out the door to Everton on loan, took nearly 24 hours to complete, strange that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Chelsea left with Morata, Giroud and Abraham.

Could be a dangerous gamble, time will tell.

Edit : Zouma follows him out the door to Everton on loan, took nearly 24 hours to complete, strange that one.

Sarri is flexible with attackers, if none of those strikers are doing it for him, don’t be surprised to see Hazard in at centre forward/false 9. He turned Dries Mertens into a clinical striker at Napoli when he used to be just a solid winger with a steady goal scoring record. Ye could end up with Pedro and Willian playing either side of Hazard at some point.

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    Sarri is flexible with attackers, if none of those strikers are doing it for him, don’t be surprised to see Hazard in at centre forward/false 9. He turned Dries Mertens into a clinical striker at Napoli when he used to be just a solid winger with a steady goal scoring record. Ye could end up with Pedro and Willian playing either side of Hazard at some point.

Ya, its possible.

I'm not really inspired by Giroud or Abraham as back ups if Morata under performs or gets injured TBH.

GavRedKing wrote:

He's in an odd spot they are unlikely to get a huge fee for him anywhere but England at the same time you'd think that he'd have taken his chance at Chelsea by now if he was getting a first team role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He scored 9 in 14 appearances for Dortmund last season. What happened, thats good numbers. Is he not a player Chelsea want to sell?

Dortmund wanted to buy him but were told no, apparently.

Its very weird, I think Giroud could be off in the summer and if Michy has a good La Liga season he slots in, worse case scenario, he boosts his re-sale value in Spain.

I think Chelsea have dropped the ball with it leaving a near 32 year old Giroud in place and a raw Abraham as back ups.

Ya, its possible.

I'm not really inspired by Giroud or Abraham as back ups if Morata under performs or gets injured TBH.

Giroud as a backup is still a better option than most clubs have on the bench tbf. I always rated him as a very good striker (not top class though), but then again he always feckin scores against us so I have to give him credit. :o

I think that's a really poor call by Chelsea. Batshuayi has been their best striker of 2018 and now they are left with a guy whose confidence nosedived in 2018, a young kid who doesn't look up to it at the top level, and a guy who, whilst a very good team player, is not renowned for his goalscoring exploits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

Milan made an offer of 90mil + 2 players for Lazios Sergei Milinkovic Savic.

Milan made an offer of 90mil + 2 players for Lazios Sergei Milinkovic Savic.

I read that it was a €110m bid plus Borini.

Lazio have reportedly rejected it. They’re holding out for €110m and no Borini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

martyos121 wrote: »
    I read that it was a €110m bid plus Borini.

Lazio have reportedly rejected it. They’re holding out for €110m and no Borini.

Isn’t Borini still a Sunderland player?

Isn’t Borini still a Sunderland player?

Not anymore, joined Milan permanently on July 1st.

• Advertisement
Advertisement