Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Italy Chicago November 3rd

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Any word as to which broadcaster is covering this match? None is listed on any of the websites I have looked at.

Congrats Razorblunt. Kinda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Cronin being James Cronin.

I hope to see a side along the lines,
    Jack
    Herring
    Porter
    Beirne
    Dillane
    Ruddock
    Vdf
    Conan
    Cooney
    Carberry
    Stockdale
    Aki
    Ringrose
    Conway
    Larmour

Cronin
    Scannell
    Bealham
    Hendo
    Nordi
    Luke
    Ross B
    Addison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Any word as to which broadcaster is covering this match? None is listed on any of the websites I have looked at.
    Its on Channel 4. Channel 4 have out autumn games for next couple of years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Its on Channel 4. Channel 4 have out autumn games for next couple of years

Not the Italy match

I think anyone who is deemed likely to be in the 15 v New Zealand should stay at home. I'd be starting at the bottom of the depth chart and working up as opposed to top down.

We'll learn little from playing Italy in the USA, I still consider it a trip of questionable merit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Peterx

It was exactly this attitude that helped get us our first win against New Zealand last year, when the shoe was on the other foot.
    I hope the Italians go for it. Be a very interesting game then with presumably second string Irish players getting a proper full international battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I can assure you that it wasn't me! Actually, it could have been, what's her name? :pac::D

Is your name CJ Stander? If so we're cool.
    Buer wrote: »
    I guess that answers the question of what Heaslip has been up to since retirement.
    See above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Ultimate Rugby saying Channel 4 and 'Flo Rugby' are showing it.

Think they have Channel 4 wrong though as said already. They're advertising they have the November series but haven't mentioned the Italy match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I think anyone who is deemed likely to be in the 15 v New Zealand should stay at home. I'd be starting at the bottom of the depth chart and working up as opposed to top down.

We'll learn little from playing Italy in the USA, I still consider it a trip of questionable merit.

We only have a few games between now and WC....every match has to be used to full potential

We could learn a huge amount from a trip like this. It is away and against a team who will have nothing to lose. In an environment, the team will not be used to playing in and also a different climate....great preparation for the group games in WC

Huge knowledge can be gained

The merit of the trip? rugby in America for one. Sponsorship etc etc....getting an American club into Pro14

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Channel 4 has rights to Ireland's autumn internationals but I think that's just the matches IRFU can sell. This match is organised by RIM or something so I believe it's their rights to sell. Ireland and Italy both probably just gets a fee for turning up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Peregrine wrote: »
    Channel 4 has rights to Ireland's autumn internationals but I think that's just the matches IRFU can sell. This match is organised by RIM or something so I believe it's their rights to sell. Ireland and Italy both probably just gets a fee for turning up.

It's outside the standad AI's so it doesn't get included in the standard TV right

Same as the NZ match when Eir bought the rights.....RTE had all the other AI's if I remember correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ursa actos

I didn't think much of the commentary in Soldier Field for the All Blacks game two years ago. Anyone know if there's radio coverage I could tune into with a headphone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

ursa actos wrote: »
    I didn't think much of the commentary in Soldier Field for the All Blacks game two years ago. Anyone know if there's radio coverage I could tune into with a headphone?

You could try RTE Radio 1 on TuneIn if they're covering it, but there'll probably be a delay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

In a bizarre move, Italy have named their team 10 days out from the match. Almost entirely second string. Only a single starter who started their final 6N game.

McKinley on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

And here's the Irish Squad:

DqR8CB3XQAAlEPP.jpg

I'd like to see
    McGrath
    Herring
    Bealham
    Beirne
    Henderson
    Ruddock
    SOB
    Conan
    Cooney
    Carberry
    Stockdale
    McCloskey
    Aki
    Conway
    Larmour

Kilcoyne
    Scannell
    Porter
    Roux
    Nordi
    McGrath
    RB
    Addison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

The Ireland / Italy game is on Premier Sports.

Henderson SoB Henshaw Marmion not travelling

Forwards (15):
    Finlay Bealham (Buccaneers/Connacht) 7
    Tadhg Beirne (Munster) 2
    Jack Conan (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 9
    Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 62
    Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster) 26
    Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 22
    Jack McGrath (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 50
    Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne/Ulster) 23
    Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster) 8
    Quinn Roux (Galwegians/Connacht) 6
    Rhys Ruddock (St Mary's College/Leinster) 19
    James Ryan (UCD/Leinster) 11
    Niall Scannell (Dolphin/Munster) 9
    Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster) 60
    Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster) 10

Backs (11):
    Will Addison (Enniskillen/Ulster) *
    Bundee Aki (Galwegians/Connacht) 9
    Ross Byrne (UCD/Leinster) *
    Joey Carbery (Clontarf/Munster) 12
    Andrew Conway (Garryowen/Munster) 7
    John Cooney (Terenure College/Ulster) 2
    Jordan Larmour (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 6
    Luke McGrath (UCD/Leinster) 6
    Garry Ringrose (UCD/Leinster) 14
    Jacob Stockdale (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 11
    Darren Sweetnam (Cork Constitution/Munster) 2

Huge excitement in Enniskillen at the prospect of the local boy getting capped.

Largely second string with some notable exceptions. 6 props travel so 2 of those won't feature. 4 locks so one will rest up. From looking at it, I think they only guy I'd put the house on starting is Jack Conan.

Bit more clear in the backs where only 1 of 11 won't be in the 23. You'd imagine that's a back three player such as Sweetnam but anyone carrying a strain will probably rest up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Interesting, only two out and out centres traveling. So will it be Larmour or Addison for the bench spot. You’d have to imagine Conway either starts or isn’t involved as both Larmour and Addison are more versatile.

Edit* hadn’t copped Earls wasn’t there, so probably Conway and Larmour to start with Addison on the bench.

So those not travelling are: Kearney, Earls, Henshaw, Arnold, McCloskey, Sexton, Marmion, Healy, Best, Herring, Henderson, POM, SOB, Leavy, Stander.

I'm missing someone by my count....

So those not travelling are: Kearney, Earls, Henshaw, Arnold, McCloskey, Sexton, Marmion, Healy, Best, Herring, Henderson, POM, SOB, Leavy, Stander.

McCloskey

And if he's not travelling to Chicago, you'd wonder if he's going to feature at all

Edit: I see you had him in your list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

John Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Thank goodness we've those vice captains who can... Oh, wait...

• Advertisement

John Ryan

Ah, saw James Ryan and brain failed me. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Forwards (15):
    Finlay Bealham (Buccaneers/Connacht) 7
    Tadhg Beirne (Munster) 2
    Jack Conan (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 9
    Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 62
    Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster) 26
    Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 22
    Jack McGrath (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 50
    Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne/Ulster) 23
    Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster) 8
    Quinn Roux (Galwegians/Connacht) 6
    Rhys Ruddock (St Mary's College/Leinster) 19
    James Ryan (UCD/Leinster) 11
    Niall Scannell (Dolphin/Munster) 9
    Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster) 60
    Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster) 10

Backs (11):
    Will Addison (Enniskillen/Ulster) *
    Bundee Aki (Galwegians/Connacht) 9
    Ross Byrne (UCD/Leinster) *
    Joey Carbery (Clontarf/Munster) 12
    Andrew Conway (Garryowen/Munster) 7
    John Cooney (Terenure College/Ulster) 2
    Jordan Larmour (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 6
    Luke McGrath (UCD/Leinster) 6
    Garry Ringrose (UCD/Leinster) 14
    Jacob Stockdale (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 11
    Darren Sweetnam (Cork Constitution/Munster) 2

Huge excitement in Enniskillen at the prospect of the local boy getting capped.

Haha...to be fair it's been quite a week for them with Balacoune getting picked for Ulster as well.

Good observation. You'd have to think that might impact on selection. By looking at the 26, I'd imagine Rhys Ruddock is captain almost by default. I just can't see anyone else in that group doing it.

No Sean O'Brien...does this suggest he is going to walk straight back in? Or maybe it doesn't suggest anything, but you'd think he will start against Argentina.

Ryan to skipper?

Edit - Buer probably has it right with Ruddock.

bilston wrote: »
    No Sean O'Brien...does this suggest he is going to walk straight back in? Or maybe it doesn't suggest anything, but you'd think he will start against Argentina.

Schmidt has always been a huge SOB fan. If he's finally hitting fitness, nothing would surprise me from him being outside the 23 to starting against NZ ahead of POM/VDF.

Personally, I'd probably have him in the 20 shirt but it's hard to figure out where exactly he is in the shake up right now. The fact that he played 60 minutes at the weekend and is being held back in Ireland suggests that he's almost certainly going to be involved in some capacity.

Schmidt has always been a huge SOB fan. If he's finally hitting fitness, nothing would surprise me from him being outside the 23 to starting against NZ ahead of POM/VDF.

Personally, I'd probably have him in the 20 shirt but it's hard to figure out where exactly he is in the shake up right now. The fact that he played 60 minutes at the weekend and is not being held back in Ireland suggests that he's almost certainly going to be involved in some capacity.

He hasn't looked fit to me at all yet, very laboured and at times a longer ball in play even early in the first half and he's been gassed.

That said, Jack McGrath had similar initial outings and looks to be motoring again so perhaps SOB is closer than he's looked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Squad by Position:

Cronin, Scannell
    Kilcoyne, McGrath
    Bealham, Furlong, Porter
    Beirne, Toner, Ryan, Roux
    Conan, Murphy, VDF, Ruddock

Cooney, McGrath
    Byrne, Carbery
    Aki, Ringrose, Addison
    Conway, Larmour, Stockdale, Sweetnam

It looks like Addison is being considered as a centre?
    I imagine that Furlong and Stockdale will be playing otherwise it seems odd to bring them over. The management must be happy with Earls' match fitness as I thought he would travel.

Good observation. You'd have to think that might impact on selection. By looking at the 26, I'd imagine Rhys Ruddock is captain almost by default. I just can't see anyone else in that group doing it.

Luke McGrath to start :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Gary Ringrose is the most capped back with 14 caps.....
    Just goes to show the innate conservatism in uncle Joe Smith

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Gary Ringrose is the most capped back with 14 caps.....
    Just goes to show the innate conservatism in uncle Joe Smith

Mind you it’s hard to believe he’s only had 14 caps, seems like he’s been around a lot longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

stephen_n wrote: »
    Mind you it’s hard to believe he’s only had 14 caps, seems like he’s been around a lot longer.

He was an unused substitute in soldier field. Which must be a real sickener.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭BlueAndWh1te

Who are people's bets on the three not being used then? I'm saying Roux, Bealham and Sweetnam

I think Roux gets the 19 shirt. Bealham may be the 18. Surprising that Ryan is traveling. He's played a lot this season and could probably be omitted this weekend and start against the pumas.

Who are people's bets on the three not being used then? I'm saying Roux, Bealham and Sweetnam

I'm the opposite. The most likely to play next week won't be used. That's Furlong, Ryan and Stockcube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭BlueAndWh1te

errlloyd wrote: »
    I'm the opposite. The most likely to play next week won't be used. That's Furlong, Ryan and Stockcube
    Yeah I was thinking that but then I was just wondering why they'd fly them over there to not play.

Yeah I was thinking that but then I was just wondering why they'd fly them over there to not play.

Well they're in the classic 24th man positions. So I think a mix of needing to bring players anyway. And the hope they'll exchange some knowledge while there.

errlloyd wrote: »

What about Ringrose? One of them will have to feature.

Also we're playing Italy, not Namibia, yes we should be able to put a team out from that squad to win, but I'd hate to see us blow our chances of becoming world No.1 over the next few weeks by losing to Italy in Chicago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Also we're playing Italy, not Namibia, yes we should be able to put a team out from that squad to win, but I'd hate to see us blow our chances of becoming world No.1 over the next few weeks by losing to Italy in Chicago.

Isn't the Italy team rather weak?

Isn't the Italy team rather weak?

I read somewhere it's their second team, but I'm not an expert on what passes as their first team and second team, but the performances of Benetton and Zebre this year suggests there is a bit more depth in Italian rugby now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement