Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackrock and Frascati shopping centers

Options
  • 06-05-2018 9:36pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I see both are getting a major overhaul - great news as they are both pretty old. I see they tore down a massive building beside Blackrock shopping centre as well. Does anyone know what its going to be like when its finished? Many news shops going in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭caviardreams

They are just replacing the office block there with new offices I think - whoever was there previously is staying I think.

No news of the new shops except Aldi in Frascati - not sure there are many new shops planned for the Blackrock SC, mainly design work rather than expansion e.g. covering over the roof etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

They are just replacing the office block there with new offices I think - whoever was there previously is staying I think.

It'll be the new head office for Zurich. The 3 existing office buildings in Blackrock and the one in ballsbridge will all be moving there when it's complete. Finished design looks decent, all glass and modern. Much better than the previous eyesore.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭aoh

Despite all their plans, they're both a nightmare at the mo. I dread going food shopping!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

I noticed that the building adjacent to Blackrock Shopping Center was brought down very quickly. They should use this as an opportunity to provide wider parking spaces and also to provide spaces for bikes to park.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I noticed that the building adjacent to Blackrock Shopping Center was brought down very quickly. They should use this as an opportunity to provide wider parking spaces and also to provide spaces for bikes to park.
    Was it brought down ? I thought that they were just stripping back to concrete and putting a new facade on it and redoing the interior.

They did the same to our offfices recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

It's being completely gutted and demolished and replaced with a new modern building.

No such luck on the wider parking the SC is already going mad about the reduction in a handful of spaces. Imagine if they were to lose more! If you look at the plans they are shoehorning in similar sized spaces underneath as before albeit with additional bicycle parking now sheltered by the new building (and also moving the one currently outside as that'll be a new car entry/exit) and a few electric car charging points.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

ted1 wrote: »
    Was it brought down ? I thought that they were just stripping back to concrete and putting a new facade on it and redoing the interior.

They did the same to our offfices recently.

If they meant to, the overdid it. Its been razed to the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Grassey wrote: »

It'll be the new head office for Zurich. The 3 existing office buildings in Blackrock and the one in ballsbridge will all be moving there when it's complete. Finished design looks decent, all glass and modern. Much better than the previous eyesore.
    https://www.independent.ie/business/friends-first-get-planning-approval-on-enterprise-house-35257325.html

Here is what it will look like upon completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

It isn't half bad. Very simple, yet cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jacinta086

It'll be great once its done and i hear River Island are moving in to the Frascati Shopping Center (not sure if that's just a rumour).
    But in the mean time the construction sites are really killing trade in the existing shops / a few have already closed.

Next is closing this month and i'll really miss that as it was so handy for children's wear.
    2 new coffee shops apparently opening on the main street; in what was Donoghues / Tossed.

• Advertisement

Next is closing??? :eek: Oh no, I used to use the store for click & collect from online orders very regularly. i always thought they did ok there, surely if it was just a temporary drop from the construction they would keep going in the meantime as it would turn around again?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I heard from someone who works in Frascati centre that Next are relocating to there

21/25

uch wrote: »
    I heard from someone who works in Frascati centre that Next are relocating to there

Oh that would be fab - a bigger next!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I heard some time ago that the owners of Five Guys will be opening one of their new restaurants in Frascati once the new extension is opened soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I heard some time ago that the owners of Five Guys will be opening one of their new restaurants in Frascati once the new extension is opened soon.

Sounds a bit more legitimate than the rumour that they were opening in Cornelscourt. Another fast food restaurant wouldn't be too bad there to give McDonald's some competition although Five Guys is seriously overpriced and overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

How is McDonald's doing any business at all these days, given it's behind a hoarding, in a giant building site, and there's no free parking any more? I'm surprised they haven't closed down!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Are they making any changes to the Blackrock Shopping Centre itself or just the offices?

When will Frascati be finished ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    How is McDonald's doing any business at all these days, given it's behind a hoarding, in a giant building site, and there's no free parking any more? I'm surprised they haven't closed down!
    Rent reduction during works? Builders and shop staff keeping them
    Busy ?

Pretty sure it was mentioned in an articles in the IT or independent a few months ago so seems definite.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jacinta086

Next's lease was up anyway and they are not renewing - they are focusing online / next day delivery.
    They are opening a new flag ship shop on Henry Street too.
    (that's all according to a lovely lady who was working there 2 weeks ago).

Five Guys would be interesting, but there is already Eddie Rockets and Flash Harry's so already lots of options.

• Advertisement

Jacinta086 wrote: »
    Next's lease was up anyway and they are not renewing - they are focusing online / next day delivery.
    They are opening a new flag ship shop on Henry Street too.
    (that's all according to a lovely lady who was working there 2 weeks ago).

Five Guys would be interesting, but there is already Eddie Rockets and Flash Harry's so already lots of options.

So Next aren't moving to the new Frascati then? :( If so will really miss the click & collect

Here is the source of the Five guys news:
    https://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/public-appetite-for-dining-out-is-giving-property-industry-food-for-thought-36628864.html

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

So Next aren't moving to the new Frascati then? :( If so will really miss the click & collect

I never shopped in next as there was no access upstairs if you had a buggy. Crazy layout not surprised they aren’t renewing the release.

Advertisement