Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pilgrimage Sites in Munster

• 06-05-2018 11:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭

I'm looking to organise a pilgrimage day-trip, something between 30-90 minutes' drive from Cork City.

It'll have mainly a Catholic focus, but it'd be good to have something non-religious too, like a walk or a historical tour or whatever. Also, somewhere decent (but not expensive) to eat would be handy but not essential - packed lunch is an option.

So far I've thought of Gougane Bearra or the Rock of Cashel.
    Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Richie15 wrote: »
    I'm looking to organise a pilgrimage day-trip, something between 30-90 minutes' drive from Cork City.

It'll have mainly a Catholic focus, but it'd be good to have something non-religious too, like a walk or a historical tour or whatever. Also, somewhere decent (but not expensive) to eat would be handy but not essential - packed lunch is an option.

Any other suggestions?

If your going to Cashel then you’ll have to see HolyCross Abbey 900 years old Cistercian in use everyday . Book lunch in Parker’s Restaurant a few steps away. Very good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Any other suggestions?

Mount Melleray? It's close to Lismore which has two small cathedrals (Catholic and COI),a castle and some nice places to eat,or so I've heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Thanks guys, that's a great starting point. I'll have a look into these and see how it goes. 😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Dysert O'Dea in Clare has a pilgrimage walk and it's in the heart of the Burren.

There's also an ancient pilgrim walk through the Burren, a friend of mine mentioned it before.
    But he only mentioned it in passing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Thanks guys, that's a great starting point. I'll have a look into these and see how it goes. ��

St Partick's Well in Clonmel, is a really nice site.

Walk back to Clonmel via Lake and Marlfield. (Lovely Protestant Church near river in Marlfield also)

In Clonmel visit town walls and Protestant Church on Mary St.

Food in Quimbys in Irishtown (9-5 café and v nice) and finally visit Eldons off licene for a bottle of Mescan or two. Mescan was St Partick's brewer allegedly! Fact or fiction the triple is the best Irish beer I've sampled!

Non believer but I love old buildings and the history of the early church.

Gougane Barra is pretty as could be with a nice hotel on site.

Enjoy whatever you do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lovely idea. I get visitors from the US and wherever i live in Ireland it becomes a pilgrimage. Abundance here in West Mayo and I visit the ancient Holy Places whenever I am off island

Advertisement