Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Under-age training misconduct

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

blanch152 wrote: »
    A fundamental point of disagreement with you is that the main issue isn't any of the above - you even make some reasonable points - but that the main issue is confidentiality of child protection. The club broke this, the club should suffer.

but thats up to the GAA club, then the county and then the central council to decide what punishment there should be and it should be left there. Whats printing names in a national newspaper going to do other than put anyone off ever volunteering at all.

with all the current regulations, you cant cross a white line or fill a water bottle without a welfare course or your foundation course done. Thats law since last month. If you asked a mam on the sideline who was helping a girl put a jersey on has she got a welfare course done, if she says no, you can call the gards on her and the club. That's how serious its got (lady from Tusla confirmed that in a workshop I was at).

And now if you use a swear word, intentionally OR otherwise, your name could be on the front of a national newspaper? Its just not right.

Why would anyone be a mentor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Joe Dog

but thats up to the GAA club, then the county and then the central council to decide what punishment there should be and it should be left there. Whats printing names in a national newspaper going to do other than put anyone off ever volunteering at all.

with all the current regulations, you cant cross a white line or fill a water bottle without a welfare course or your foundation course done. Thats law since last month. If you asked a mam on the sideline who was helping a girl put a jersey on has she got a welfare course done, if she says no, you can call the gards on her and the club. That's how serious its got (lady from Tusla confirmed that in a workshop I was at).

And now if you use a swear word, intentionally OR otherwise, your name could be on the front of a national newspaper? Its just not right.

Why would anyone be a mentor?

I think that may well turn into a serious issue for sport in the future in this country.

Few male primary school teachers means less interest in the coaching sport in primary schools (and please don't anyone come on and try and claim that female teachers will have just as much interest as we all know that is not true).

Few men apart from parents will want to get involved in any kind of involvement with underage sport as of the chance of having your name blackened for ever by spiteful parents , I know of a situation in my own area where someone left coaching because of completely unfounded rumors spread by parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

A fundamental point of disagreement with you is that the main issue isn't any of the above - you even make some reasonable points - but that the main issue is confidentiality of child protection. The club broke this, the club should suffer.

You are obviously doing things 100% by all the books. Confidentiality???? U should see clubs are really run. Struggling with tiny numbers of adminstrators/officers/coaches. Parents in most cases only contribute when it is negatives they have to cntribute. It is coming to the day when dressing rooms will be silent and coaches will be banned from giving instructions to their underage players. This really seems to be blown out of all proportions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I dont get why you say this in response to a discussion about kimmage though? Like you may be right about the that being the main issue, but we are still allowed to discuss other issues in the case. There are various facets to it. We are allowed to discuss them all if we so wish. It doesnt mean we think it is or isnt the main issue.

Smith614 wrote: »
    You are obviously doing things 100% by all the books. Confidentiality???? U should see clubs are really run. Struggling with tiny numbers of adminstrators/officers/coaches. Parents in most cases only contribute when it is negatives they have to cntribute. It is coming to the day when dressing rooms will be silent and coaches will be banned from giving instructions to their underage players. This really seems to be blown out of all proportions.

"Parents in most cases only contribute when it is negatives they have to cntribute. "

100% this.

A parent wrote a letter of complaint about a coach (qualified) in our club, wasnt doing warmups properly. Big investigation held, discussions with GPO, coach had to come up and demonstrate what he was doing. Club reforms should be discussed, maybe someone will draft a big paper all coaches should adhere to. A committee should be put together. lets all meet once a month and discuss how we're getting on.

Was only much later turned out the coach had been working late one evening, got to training late. Went straight into drills and some games. Missed a comprehensive warm up. That was the only training session the parent had seen. Coach nearly walked over the whole thing.

Now the parent just wanted warmups done right (yet didnt contribute to anything else) but the fallout from not having perspective is far beyond what is intended.

Same with Kimmage here. He'll argue "its there to be written about" but it displays that he has no comprehension of the greater damage being done by raising this which serves no purpose. Thats what I meant earlier by an agenda. He's a smart bunny. He understands volunteering in sport. Why would he write this if he doesnt have an agenda?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

Don't even try to suggest that warmups can be skipped. It's his own fault if he got investigated for that. He made the decision to prioritise drills over warmups. Warmups are to avoid injuries. There is no way they should be skipped at any grade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭dzer2

puzl wrote: »
    Don't even try to suggest that warmups can be skipped. It's his own fault if he got investigated for that. He made the decision to prioritise drills over warmups. Warmups are to avoid injuries. There is no way they should be skipped at any grade.

Ah stop will ya its under 12s they were running around as soon as they got to the field. If kids were let climb trees run around the yard, invent games and play cowboys and indians in the local woods there would be feck all injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Smith614 wrote: »

No, Just don't be alone with kids in a dressing room, and don't swear at them. Simple.
    No need to argue to absurdity... or blow it out of proportions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

murky dealings of the club is a bit extreme. theyre volunteers.

Theres methods from bottom to the top for dealing with things.

If its a child welfare issue, the mentor on the team is first port of call or another mentor if thats where the issue is. Then, for a club of that size they should have one, the child welfare officer for that code..
    Then theres an executive club board with a club welfare officer.
    An executive county board with a child officer if needs be.
    A gaa exec council with a welfare officer (gearoid in this case).

If theres conflict with any point you go one higher, if you go straight to the top like what happened here, they will refer you back down the chain and rightly so.

As for a coach swearing at kids, do me a favor, was it an isolated incident, was he constantly swearing at them?
    did the kids have a problem with it or just the parents?
    did the coach go on severall courses paid for out of his own money, apply proper RAMP warmup principles to the team, use latest games model for coaching, maximize the kids potential whilst navigating the minefield of "child welfare" where an isolated use of a swear word is thrown into nearly the same bracket as a potential grooming case?

but theres another coach in another club, he watched a couple of gaa games when he was growing up, he throws his name in the ring, he's now a coach too. not interested in doing a course, doesnt have time, kids are going backwards under him, but oh yeah, he's good, he doesnt use swear words. Kids give up when theyre 14-15, cos theyre losing every week. they know theyre not getting better. But that doesnt matter because the coach doesnt use swear words.

The point is, you pick and choose what you want to highlight. what is and isnt an actual problem. The first fella needs a word in the ear, and/or the welfare course if he hasnt done it. the second fella needs a lot more.

Just stop swearing at children. Is that too much to ask?
    The story shouldnt have left the 4 walls of the club, county or GAA. Whats printing in a national newspaper going to do? rectify it? make anyone do anything different?

I think the story became worthy at a national level when it became a case of a local organisation trying to turn a community against each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Radiant Cool Crazy Nightmare

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/paul-kimmage-the-curious-case-of-a-dublin-club-a-twenty-grand-cheque-and-some-unanswered-questions-for-the-gaa-36972296.html

Another story today, only saw it tonight myself and surprised it's not being discussed. He's like a dog with a bone when it comes to the GAA.
    (Edit)To be clear, I in no way condone the behavior he exposed in either of his stories, I respect Paul Kimmage for his previous journalistic work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

To be fair- its not as much of a hachet job. I just hope hes not going down the road of exposing badly handled situations in GAA club because he could basically fill as many pages as he wants given theres over 2500 clubs in the country.

In regard to this issue - again it seems to have been badly handled by the club,.

-He had encouraged children to give preference to hurling over football.
    -He had organised training sessions on Saturdays - traditionally a football day.
    -He had been late taking his team off the pitch one night after a training session, delaying the start of a competitive game.
    -He had allowed parents to provide drinks and sandwiches for a celebration, and promoted the notion that the club were remiss for not doing the same.
    -He had missed a training session one night and not paid his annual sub.

The reasons given here are perfectly legitimate grievances but I'd like to hear his response to each individual charge.
    Is this a football V Hurling issue which happens way too often. . .

I would echo his sentiments and wonder why the chairman did not personally pay for defamation and what role does Garwyn have for the GAA . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Radiant Cool Crazy Nightmare

To be fair- its not as much of a hachet job. I just hope hes not going down the road of exposing badly handled situations in GAA club because he could basically fill as many pages as he wants given theres over 2500 clubs in the country.

In regard to this issue - again it seems to have been badly handled by the club,.

-He had organised training sessions on Saturdays - traditionally a football day.
    -He had been late taking his team off the pitch one night after a training session, delaying the start of a competitive game.
    -He had allowed parents to provide drinks and sandwiches for a celebration, and promoted the notion that the club were remiss for not doing the same.

The reasons given here are perfectly legitimate grievances but I'd like to hear his response to each individual charge.

I would echo his sentiments and wonder why the chairman did not personally pay for defamation and what role does Garwyn have for the GAA . . .

Very well put. Whatever about the coaches carry on regarding the football v hurling, which is seen in clubs up and down the country, to say that about him in a meeting is scandalous. The issue was very badly handled by the club and it's another example of ranks being closed in a situation that if it was met head on could have been resolved swiftly. It's the kids that are suffering here yet again. I'd also like to see Kimmage look more into Garwyn and what exactly their role is, and not be running stories on the squabbles that do occur around the country. How many of us know people that upped and left clubs with their kids over some perceived slight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The latest story again highlighted an unwillingness of people to get involved when their role specifically is to do so.
    Dublin Child protection officer should have responded as soon as she received an email.

I'd say Kimmage is getting plenty calls/messages asking him to look in to issues in other clubs across the country.

The latest story again highlighted an unwillingness of people to get involved when their role specifically is to do so.
    Dublin Child protection officer should have responded as soon as she received an email.

I'd say Kimmage is getting plenty calls/messages asking him to look in to issues in other clubs across the country.

How come he's not deciding to go after clubs in other sports.If he doesn't come up with a big exposé on other types of clubs fairly soon it'll look fairly obvious to neutral observers that he has a bias against one sporting organisation, also I'd argue this type of fairly low level local stuff (and that's what it is) does not really justify taking up the first pages of the sports section of the country's biggest newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Ah sure he’s just bullying the poor aul Dubs isn’t he.....
    But in all seriousness though I’d say it’s a
    Tough enough world in the top Dublin clubs, with the potential rewards so high for talented kids who can go in and play for the Dublin seniors.
    You’ll always have certain individuals who are in top positions who will want to push their own agendas/club mates/family etc....

Joe Dog wrote:
    How come he's not deciding to go after clubs in other sports.If he doesn't come up with a big exposé on other types of clubs fairly soon it'll look fairly obvious to neutral observers that he has a bias against one sporting organisation, also I'd argue this type of fairly low level local stuff (and that's what it is) does not really justify taking up the first pages of the sports section of the country's biggest newspaper.

This led to one of the most senior figures in the GAA being involved. It's a national story.

Kimmage has written extensively about cycling and also rugby PED's. Each time he uncovers something people say "why isn't he looking at something else". There's very few journalists like him and he should be supported to mentor others.

This led to one of the most senior figures in the GAA being involved. It's a national story.

Kimmage has written extensively about cycling and also rugby PED's. Each time he uncovers something people say "why isn't he looking at something else". There's very few journalists like him and he should be supported to mentor others.

Kimmage does everything for himself.

Takes a holier than thou approach despite the fact that he was a juicer himself in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭ethical

I must get in touch with Mr.Kimmage! As has been stated he is a journalist that researches and brings stories of interest to the general public.I've noted the competiting here between gaelic football and hurling teams within the same club.
    Unfortunately there is an "ignorance" with some so called GAA coaches/mentors,they only see their own sport and fcuk the rest! Now dont get me wrong as there are some fine all encompassing men and women attached to clubs that are as fair as a summers day is long.
    I was shocked to hear recently that a local rural small town that has managed to have a gaelic football, (both ladies and mens),hurling, soccer and even a few handballers all running alongside each other for many years are now in a bit of bother.
    Mr.Kimmage would love getting his teeth into this! An ignorant cohort in the underage boys gaelic football team has banned their members from playing soccer (get out of the dark ages you buffoons).The unfortunate thing now is that the town soccer club will not be able to field some teams at underage level meaning that those who wish to play both codes will either have to travel elswhere or totally give up soccer.You wouldnt mind but the soccer club has had a few players over the years who got international recognition,quite a feat for a small rural town I'd say.The other sad thing is that the mentors concerned are seen as pillars of society and are educated people.......but totall ignorant.The biscuit tin brigade are alive and well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭sgthighway

ethical wrote: »
    I must get in touch with Mr.Kimmage! As has been stated he is a journalist that researches and brings stories of interest to the general public.I've noted the competiting here between gaelic football and hurling teams within the same club.
    Unfortunately there is an "ignorance" with some so called GAA coaches/mentors,they only see their own sport and fcuk the rest! Now dont get me wrong as there are some fine all encompassing men and women attached to clubs that are as fair as a summers day is long.
    I was shocked to hear recently that a local rural small town that has managed to have a gaelic football, (both ladies and mens),hurling, soccer and even a few handballers all running alongside each other for many years are now in a bit of bother.
    Mr.Kimmage would love getting his teeth into this! An ignorant cohort in the underage boys gaelic football team has banned their members from playing soccer (get out of the dark ages you buffoons).The unfortunate thing now is that the town soccer club will not be able to field some teams at underage level meaning that those who wish to play both codes will either have to travel elswhere or totally give up soccer.You wouldnt mind but the soccer club has had a few players over the years who got international recognition,quite a feat for a small rural town I'd say.The other sad thing is that the mentors concerned are seen as pillars of society and are educated people.......but totall ignorant.The biscuit tin brigade are alive and well!

Soccer Clubs are doing the same thing. Hurlers are doing it to Footballers and Footballers are doing it to Hurlers. When I was training a football team the young lads said they were not allowed to train because they had a soccer match coming up. Same excuse on a regular basis. We struggled to field a team. I told them to go over and watch the Soccers Adult Team and see where the players come from. None of them were local. I told them they can continue to play soccer and the GAA Club will always be here for them. About 2 years later they all came back and the GAA Club started to take precedence over the Soccer Club. They got more employment and acknowledgment locally as members of the GAA Club as they are the assets the club need. Coaches should not pressure kids. There are enough things to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

Very well put. Whatever about the coaches carry on regarding the football v hurling, which is seen in clubs up and down the country, to say that about him in a meeting is scandalous. The issue was very badly handled by the club and it's another example of ranks being closed in a situation that if it was met head on could have been resolved swiftly. It's the kids that are suffering here yet again. I'd also like to see Kimmage look more into Garwyn and what exactly their role is, and not be running stories on the squabbles that do occur around the country. How many of us know people that upped and left clubs with their kids over some perceived slight.

Garwyn is the insurance providers for such legal actions. Every organisation has officer and directors insurance.

• Advertisement

Garwyn is the insurance providers for such legal actions. Every organisation has officer and directors insurance.

Did not know that, thanks. As a matter of interest, had the matter been settled prior to court would they still have been the ones to pay? Is it normal for the Organisation to pay even though it was the Chairman and not the GAA that was being pursued by the coach for what was said? I'm not very familiar with these instances as can be seen

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'd also wonder why these issues weren't raised with the coach individually?

Why wait until they're all piled up?

Joe Dog wrote: »

Exactly. Gossip mongering.

He said, she said.

Good for a quick read.

Not news though.

as elsewhere above, could fill the paper every week with stories from all sports. They nearly always end with "we contacted xyz but they refused to comment, the story remains unfinished at time of going to press".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Are the club still banned?

Fann Linn wrote:
    Are the club still banned?

Don't think so. Some comments on recent pages that they're back playing.

"we contacted xyz but they refused to comment, the story remains unfinished at time of going to press".

That is a key part of the story though. It indicates that there is something untoward given people's refusal to speak on the record about it.

They knew a story was being printed yet they refused to give a public comment on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,258 ✭✭✭✭km79

Don't think so. Some comments on recent pages that they're back playing.

Those comments are incorrect
    They are not back playing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Did not know that, thanks. As a matter of interest, had the matter been settled prior to court would they still have been the ones to pay? Is it normal for the Organisation to pay even though it was the Chairman and not the GAA that was being pursued by the coach for what was said? I'm not very familiar with these instances as can be seen

I don't get this though. Regardless of Howley's role as chairman, his defamatory comments were not those of O'Dwyer's GAA club. He got into this mess personally. The article makes very clear that the legal case was one private individual vs another. Why is the GAA forking out to cover this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

I don't get this though. Regardless of Howley's role as chairman, his defamatory comments were not those of O'Dwyer's GAA club. He got into this mess personally. The article makes very clear that the legal case was one private individual vs another. Why is the GAA forking out to cover this?

I don't I could agree with you here.
    If the individual is to be held personally responsible I think it would be a very poor outlook for every volunteer in every capacity in any club anywhere.

That's what insurance is there for and any member paying a yearly subscription in making a contribution towards it. I think most people would think twice about volunteering if they thought they would be exposing themselves to personal litigation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

dieselbug wrote: »

If the individual is to be held personally responsible I think it would be a very poor outlook for every volunteer in every capacity in any club anywhere.

That's what insurance is there for and any member paying a yearly subscription in making a contribution towards it. I think most people would think twice about volunteering if they thought they would be exposing themselves to personal litigation.

D&O generally covers errors that are made in the day to day running of an organisation. What Howley did clearly wasn't that, in my opinion - he was clearly trying to perform a character assassination on the coach. D&O doesn't cover individuals acting on personal grudges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

There needs to be a line somewhere though. I'd put this defamation on shakey ground. I mean in this instance it could be seen as accusations of paedophilia in a public forum.

However you are correct volunteers must know that they're protected. I stepped down as a coach in another sport specifically as I did not feel protected. A parent accused me of biase against child and club when the child didn't make a regional team I coached. Went straight to the chairman at national level and **** flowed downhill fast. Nothing ever came from it but left a sour taste and left me wondering if any false accusations on any other level would leave me as open. Saw out the season and left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

No - it would mean they would have to cop on.

If I'm chairman of the club and I make the casting vote to suspend a member for breaching club rules and I've followed all GAA and club protocol then I would not expect to be sued and I would expect the full weight of the GAA all the way up to back me to the hilt including mounting legal defence if required.

But if I called someone a paedophile with absolutely no credible , let alone proved evidence then I should be left to my own devices - that's not fulfilling the role - that's being a dick and the rule book, law book and probably a few more books should be thrown at me INDIVIDUALLY

In any case I'm intrigued as I was not aware of any such insurance - in fact I don't believe you can get insurance like that for a voluntary role - I'd like some information on it if any knows any more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Both club committees messed up here big time. Each of these should have only necessitated a chat from day one.

Agree 100% If individuals are going to be held personally liable or responsible there will be a severe shortage of mentors in the years ahead. People looking after teams are under enough stress and pressure to put themselves out there to sued.

Fair points. Kimmages could change the club name and do a handful of articles every weekday not just a Sunday.

The bottom line is this was badly handled by both clubs. You couldnt make it up.

Child protection are key issues here. It has to be the cornerstone of any club who want to progress.
    On the Athenry issue. a mentor swore in the presence of children or at children. Could someone not just ask him to tone it down? I know its not right. But go up and down the country and it is going on everywhere. A lot of people let a curse slip out, I often did and the kids would slag me, is that French? The big error was the man isolating 2 kids in a dressing room, door open or closed. That is serious mistake.

The O'Dwyers issue is another mess. Again VERY BADLY HANDLED. The committee do have a right to say who is coaching or training a team so I would have no issue there.
    I would have an issue with a mentor organising sessions to deliberately clash.
    I wouldnt ask my club to provide sandwiches I would expect parents to do it.
    He missed a session, so he got stuck at work or a family emergency, this happens to us all.No problem there.
    If he is not a member he should not be over a team
    I would have an issue with Croke park as they appeared difficult to deal with or did they think it would go away?
    The key thing in all this was the language used and not clarified by chairman at the meeting. This I believe was totally taken out of context and I understand how it could be interpreted.

While I know nobody in Athenry I know a lot of people in O'Dwyers, (chairman included) and my personal experience of dealing with him would all be positive. Always approachable and friendly to me even when we played against each other. He has given a lifetime to the club as have his family and I think it right the G.A.A. take care of his fees. I dont think he or anyone signs up to this type of situation.
    Our juveniles are given a copy code of ethics EVERY YEAR. Mentors get reminders also via email and we do refresher courses and have numerous signs up around the club reminding people the players are kids, mentors are volunteers etc.

The hurling v Football battle goes on in a lot of clubs and again from a young age it is vital clubs set out their stalls at U/8 that we are a dual club and encourage players to play both. I know in my club every session from academy to U/8 is 40 minutes of each. It is harder for small clubs when players show a preference but they need to make up their own minds and not have obstacles put in their way.

Both clubs need to have their committees trained and a simple structure put in place to deal with grievances locally and quickly in the interest of everybody but for the safety and well being of the juveniles.

I stopped mentoring in middle of last year. I have done it for long enough, well over 30 years and was no saint on a sideline. I dont like the way things have changed. The PC is gone haywire, yet I understand why it is there. In some clubs and with some mentors It is all about winning at underage level. I think there is a lack of respect towards mentors and coachs who give up so much time. Years ago we had very few parents at games now the sidelines are full of parents only interested in their darlings. So some mentors feel like previous posters who are school teachers.

Only other view is I feel somewhat sad for every volunteer who was named. They I have no doubt do their best and some good people in a few sports will be wondering if it is worth getting involved or staying involved.

Advertisement