Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City: Then and Now

Options
  • 07-05-2018 2:46am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I wanted to start a thread showing Cork city from old images going back decades and then the same places taken more recently, to highlight the changes the city has undergone. I don’t think a thread like this has been posted on this forum before as I did a search for one.

Douglas aerial shot taken in 1973. Note how few housing estates there are, with housing development just starting in the Donnybrook area.

77715286_cork_douglas_aerial_1973.jpg

The same area in 2010. Notice how much has changed in the intervening 37 years!
    11417_57742587_d2606ab2-0ecb-4a53-a0b3-5ea16d5e7261.jpeg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭seanrambo87

Clearly two different pictures, tut tut

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭seanrambo87

Looking closer I see what your saying, big change alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

I don't have any photos of my own to share but I shall follow this with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Interesting to see the old road alignment before the finger post. The old Carrigaline road ended in a junction with Maryborough Hill with Maryborough Hill being the mainline. The Rochestown Road was also a junction onto Maryborough Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Harika

There is a facebook group with loads of old pictures: https://www.facebook.com/groups/129886820361710/

• Advertisement
Advertisement