Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on disposal of ivy

Options
  • 07-05-2018 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

i have a large amount of ivy cleared from a hedge,
    can i put this in compost or should i get rid of it altogether from the garden,
    thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Personally, I would dispose of it - it's the kind of plant that could colonise your compost heap very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If you can put it at the bottom of a new compost heap it would help get some air into the heap and rot down but it can be a bit woody and take a long time. Also if its not very well covered with compost it will probably root and grow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd put it in the compost bin. should be easy enough to control if it did try to root.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭pegasuspub

would it be worth my while trying to fit a weed block on the ground around the established hedge, would this help the chances of keeping the ivy at bay, its an escallonia hedge, i think thats how to spell it, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Wouldn't bother, it'll probably just grow up through the holes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement