Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My New Build won't boot - Any suggestions?

Options
  • 07-05-2018 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

I've just put together a new build (spec below). When powering on the system the CPU and case fans run for about 4sec, then stop and spin up for 2-3s then down then up and repeats like this. I have to turn off power supply to power down. The system doesn't boot at all (nothing appears on the monitor through the HDMI connection).

I disconnected everything (including CPU) and rebuilt, but got the same result. I then disconnected everything (except M.2 drive) and still the same: just the power supply connected to the board with CPU, CPU fan and M.2 connected.

I can't see anything wrong. Any ideas? If board or CPU are defective how can I tell which is at fault?

EDIT: There are no beeps or sounds from the system either.

Case: Bitfenix Prodidy Mini-itx
    MB: ASRock H370M-itx /ac
    CPU: i7-8700K (stock fan)
    RAM: 2x8Gb DDR4 PC2666 HyperX Predator
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 550M
    HDD: Intel SSD7 M.2 512Gb (80mm PCIe* 3.0 x4)
    ODD: ASUS BW-161HT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭biketard

Is this in the case? I ask cos the power or reset button could be the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Did you test build outside the case to eliminate a short?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

Pull both ram card and try one at a time in slot one. Then check if the chip is in place correctly. Then check all power connections. Than if that doesn't work search" Computer won't POST/turn on" on Google and check out the first link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Thanks for all the replies I got through most of the suggestions above and it started working!! Must have been a loose connection somewhere that I missed the first time. It's a mini-ITX system and a tight squeeze for getting all the cabling in place.

It's booting now and windows installed fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

Your specs mention an 8700k with a stock fan...is that a typo (as the 8700k doesn't come with a fan)? Lovely specs for a small build, what case are they living in, and hows your temps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Inviere wrote: »
    Your specs mention an 8700k with a stock fan...is that a typo (as the 8700k doesn't come with a fan)? Lovely specs for a small build, what case are they living in, and hows your temps?

You're right, that was a typo. I have a plain 8700.

They are in the Bitfenix Prodigy case. It's a nice case. Not sure of the temps yet (I haven't started doing anything beyond installing programs with it yet). I'll report once I figure out how to get that information.

The case has two large fans and there's good airflow through it.

I was actually building two systems (identical except for the boot drive, M.2 on one and Intel SSD on the other). When I built the second system i got the same problem again. This time I played with the RAM and found that one stick seems to be causing the problems. When I fit it to either system, the system won't boot. I'll have to return it.

Advertisement