Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying first bike, opinions needed

Options
  • 07-05-2018 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi there. I just moved to Galway and I'm looking to buy my first proper bike.
    I don't bike much, to work and back (6km each way cca) and during the weekends from time to time.
    I will take bike to work scheme so my bike budget is around €600.
    I never before biked on rain much but I'm willing to learn and go to job every day with a bike.

At first, I looked into only road bikes because I love the way they cruise and I don't plan to go off-road with a bike.
    I know the second bike is a hybrid but I love the retro look.
    I was looking into these 2 bikes but I'm a bike noob so any comments or recommendations will do!
    Thanks a lot!

Bike 1: Cube Peloton 2015 (€611) (theedge-sports.com/cycling-c18/bikes-c19/road-bikes-c20/cube-peloton-black-n-red-n-blue-2015-p12018)

Bike2: Adventure Double Shot (€500) (bikeexchange.ie/a/urban-bikes/adventure/dublin/dun-laoghaire/double-shot/7339)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

The adventure cafe racer looks nice but I wouldn't use it to commute.

I don't know how hilly Galway is (I was very drunk when there and the beer scooter ignores geography), but 3 gears, a leather saddle and no rack mounts makes it a seafront poser for me.

The cube is a well recognised brand with a good spec, again nothing about rack mounts or the ability to take mudguards. Some road bikes have very narrow tolerances so can't take a decent mudguard.

Depends on your commute, I don't bother with either as I have showers and only cycle a couple of days a week so I don't need to stay clean and dry and carry stuff on the bike.

For what sounds like an easy 4 miles you want mudguards and potentially a bike rack to carry a pannier with stuff as it's not worth the bother to get kitted up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Look for a bike with:

Aluminium frame
    Carbon Forks
    Shimono Sora of better

E.g. https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=113437

if you're on the higher rate of tax it's pretty much 1/2 price so worth spending towards the max of €1000 to get a better bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

What about this bike?

http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/2592/orbea-bikes

Good bike, good spec for the price and in your price range.

I use an Orbea Vector 20 for my 38km communte, but it's 799, which would be outside you range.

Don't forget to get a good helmet and a good lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

discolexia wrote: »
    At first, I looked into only road bikes because I love the way they cruise and I don't plan to go off-road with a bike.
    I'd also look at cyclocross/ gravel/ adventure bike options as a compromise between hybrid and road bike. They'll take wider tyres, and usually have clearance for and mudguard and pannier mounts.

They'll be a bit of a compromise for road spins but not massively, but then also open potential for some light off road use too. Also potentially a bit less on-going maintenance if you go 1x too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'd also look at cyclocross/ gravel/ adventure bike options as a compromise between hybrid and road bike. They'll take wider tyres, and usually have clearance for and mudguard and pannier mounts.

They'll be a bit of a compromise for road spins but not massively, but then also open potential for some light off road use too. Also potentially a bit less on-going maintenance if you go 1x too.

Is it possible to get a Cyclecross or gravel bike that does not have disc brakes??

HugoMyBoss wrote: »
    Is it possible to get a Cyclecross or gravel bike that does not have disc brakes??
    Whether you'd get them in a B&M/ btw I don't know, but I do know (by accident really!) that Kinesis still make frames that can take either cantilever or disc.

Disc brakes are perfect for everything except maybe pro riders, I'd really recommend them on a commuter bike. Constant braking in all weathers and minimum maintenance.

I'd be careful with CX bikes, used to be recommended a lot 5 plus years ago as they had the tyre clearances (I used one) but it's race geometry and often with no rack or mudguard points and low geared. Not what you want for a regular commuter, but might work well.

I moved to a purposely designed gravel/commuter bike. Sportive roadie bike with loads of rack/mudguard mounts, takes up to 42c tyres and wide range gearing (semi compact and 36-11 cassette, I can winch my fat arse up anything and keep up on the Sunday club run around Wicklow).

I just don't know of one at the OP's price point (PlanetX London Road).

saccades wrote: »
    I just don't know of one at the OP's price point (PlanetX London Road).
    Yes, infairness you could get one under bike to work limits, but not sure at €600. Notwithstanding potential build issues at halfords, I quite like the look of the Boardman Adventure series without having seen one in real life (still looking for the better half). Men's version is €880, with sora, mechanical disc's and it appears to have rack mounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 discolexia

Diemos wrote: »
    What about this bike?

http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/2592/orbea-bikes

Good bike, good spec for the price and in your price range.

I use an Orbea Vector 20 for my 38km communte, but it's 799, which would be outside you range.

Don't forget to get a good helmet and a good lock.

just saw your post i must admit that i like this bike a lot!
    still got some time before making a final decision.
    I was going all the way for the Cube Peloton but now I have doubts :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

I'm also in the market for a bike.
    I'm more of a runner than a cyclist but want to start cycling as a form of cross training. Is Halfords an ok place to buy from?
    I was thinking of gettting this.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=15551&langId=-1&categoryId=212536&productId=1327871&storeId=11101

Any opinions or advice would be welcome.

I personally think the Boardmans are ok, and often good value imo. But I'm not sure I'd really look at their options apart from Boardman tbh. I have a Boardman mountain bike, and it was the best spec for the money (even before sale price, and managed to get a 15% axa discount that was running at the time on top!).

By the time you factor in exchange rate and delivery they're often less or around the same as planetx or ribble, without the potential returns hassle. Build quality is often mentioned, but between me and various childrens bikes I haven't had an issue. I would say that it'll be left up to you to get the sizing and fit right though, compared to a local bike shop.

Make sure you get hold of an axa plus card or an axa insurance disc for the 10% (sometimes up to 15%).

ewc78 wrote: »
    I'm also in the market for a bike.
    I'm more of a runner than a cyclist but want to start cycling as a form of cross training. Is Halfords an ok place to buy from?
    I was thinking of gettting this.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=15551&langId=-1&categoryId=212536&productId=1327871&storeId=11101

Any opinions or advice would be welcome.

Like any shop it can occasionally be more miss than hit on the build side. I suspect that's more from the pure number of bikes sold than the fact they are rubbish. Most modern bikes come almost pre-built from the factory nowadays.

Boardman bikes are always doing well in magazine reviews, especially at the budget end (the elite ones are by direct website only) they are designed by Boardman who is quite handy on the bike.

I know that there are big discounts currently on bikes before the new season ones show up. I've not paid close attention to the spec but the listed awards suggest it's a bargain. Hunt down the award listing and read.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 discolexia

wanna to let you know that I will go with Cube Axial WLS Pro Disc 2017 (https://www.cube.eu/en/2017/womens-series/axial-wls/cube-axial-wls-pro-disc-reefbluengreen-2017/)
    I found a good bargain for €600. I did a test drive today of the same model without disc brakes and it was awesome. Went with smaller size then I expected. I am super happy.
    I will update you after a couple of rides :)
    thanks everyone!

discolexia wrote: »
    wanna to let you know that I will go with Cube Axial WLS Pro Disc 2017 (https://www.cube.eu/en/2017/womens-series/axial-wls/cube-axial-wls-pro-disc-reefbluengreen-2017/)
    I found a good bargain for €600. I did a test drive today of the same model without disc brakes and it was awesome. Went with smaller size then I expected. I am super happy.
    I will update you after a couple of rides :)
    thanks everyone!

Well may you wear...(do bike people say that? Lol)
    I posted on the first page that I was also looking to buy and I mentioned a boardman. I decided to spend a few hundred extra and get this

http://www.giant-dublin.ie/ie/contend-sl-1-disc-2018
    Anyone any thoughts? Haven't purchased yet but have been to look at it and think I will buy it.

Unfortunately as a sole trader I can't avail of the bike to work scheme though

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭10 Carrolls

Bought the contend sl 2 a few months back, basically the same bike but with tiagra instead of 105, absolutely love it, tubeless tyres working great, do a good bit on mt leinster and disc brakes are excellent. Couldn't fault it at all.

Bought the contend sl 2 a few months back, basically the same bike but with tiagra instead of 105, absolutely love it, tubeless tyres working great, do a good bit on mt leinster and disc brakes are excellent. Couldn't fault it at all.

And a better looking bike..well paint job imo

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭L8rdude

Hope I'm not barging in on the OP

I was hoping to but this at my local bike shop for 50 - 100 km cycles (maybe more)
    https://www.merida-bikes.com/en_int/bikes/road-fitness/road-race/2017/scultura-300-6583.html

but then I saw this, and the difference seems to be disc brakes.
    https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=112575

Are disc brakes that much better ? does anyone have an opinion on merida?

Thanks

What was the price you got quoted for the merida?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭L8rdude

I think it's 1125

• Advertisement
Advertisement