Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned for Mentioning The Handmaid's Tale and Gilead

Options
  • 07-05-2018 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭

I just got banned from the politics forum for comparing America to The Handmaid's Tale and Gilead by 'moderator' ancapailldorcha. I have then noticed I'm not the only person banned by this person for nothing. It is perfectly reasonable to compare current America to the world of Gilead from Handmaid's. The term Gilead has become synonymous with a hardline intolerant regime in much the same way other terms like Taliban and Puritan previously had. Handmaid's is a very successful and very important drama that deserves to be discussed. America's current setup versus the dystopia as seen in this book and series as well as other dystopias like 1984 or The Postman in my view needs to be discussed.

Banning terms and names like Gilead, The Handmaid's Tale or Margaret Atwood and topics and labelling people 'troll' is not good moderating of a forum. This stifles debate and creates an environment where people are walking on eggshells and afraid to give their point of view. I understand the rules of forums well, which is to respect other posters and not get personal and debate and respond in a nice manner.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Have you attempted to resolve this directly with the moderator?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Beasty wrote: »
    Have you attempted to resolve this directly with the moderator?

There is little point as this person has not learned from past dealings with many others. I will not contribute again to any thread he is a moderator of as I can do without this censoring and abuse. It is wrong for this person to censor other people's views.

Discussion and debate about the world's biggest superpower and the rise of a Gilead like regime in it are very relevant. The Handmaid's Tale and other dystopian fiction especially of the kind that could well happen is very much part of today's debate. 20 years ago, dystopian fiction did not inspire people like it does today. 20 years before The Handmaid's Tale's first season, a similar depiction of a dystopian fascist America called The Postman crashed commercially and critically. 7 years before that, a film called The Handmaid's Tale almost went unnoticed. Art mirrors life and the post-9/11 world made dystopian fiction all too real. Failed states and a potential undemocratic America were something largely not seen apart from a few in the 1980s-2001 period but have become common now. Elements of the worlds of Mad Max 2, The Handmaid's Tale, 1984 and other dystopian fiction suddenly becomes all too real. Debate on where countries like America are going and how extremism can be stopped is needed and needed to be had in an open and non-censored manner more than ever.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Please attempt to resolve this directly with the mod in question. That's the first step of the dispute process and should be done before starting a thread here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

OP has closed their account.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement