Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quest 12/24 2018

• 07-05-2018 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭

Anyone else signed up for the 12 or 24 hour race?

I was in Kerry this weekend to recce some of the 24hour race route and I've some serious concerns about the cut-offs. They're too tight to make this a 24 hour race. The first cut off means that you must do the first cycle @ 23kph to stay within the cut-off and the average times for each stage mean that the cut-offs are actually based on the race being 19hours 58mins and not 24 hours.

Maybe I'm getting my maths wrong here so please someone correct me if I'm way off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Got a wishy washy non response from Quest:
    we set the course to be a real tough challenge. It’s the first year of race so there will be some lee way in the cut offs, with the weather on the day it could change all the cut offs. We know how hard everyone is training for it and we want everyone to have a good crack at it. In light of a few suggestions we will have a look at the cut offs. We can look at The first cut off on the bike. but we will be strict on the Kayak cut offs. Send me a direct message or email and we’ll take on board all suggestions. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Im currently looking at the 12 but the 24 is catching my eye,
    I havent really focused on the cut off times as of yet but I cycle a lot 23km average does sound like its achievable with the level of fitness you'll have at that stage albeit i dont know the elevation...
    Im not sure I can commit until after an event im doing in July...The closing date is the last week of June...
    Rang the hotel in Sneem they are booked out with a wedding on the Friday...
    Eye watering entry fee for taking a chance at doing it...Decisions decisions......
    Theyve only 20 places left on each of the distances as well so a lot of signed up.

Im currently looking at the 12 but the 24 is catching my eye,
    I havent really focused on the cut off times as of yet but I cycle a lot 23km average does sound like its achievable with the level of fitness you'll have at that stage albeit i dont know the elevation...
    Im not sure I can commit until after an event im doing in July...The closing date is the last week of June...
    Rang the hotel in Sneem they are booked out with a wedding on the Friday...
    Eye watering entry fee for taking a chance at doing it...Decisions decisions......
    Theyve only 20 places left on each of the distances as well so a lot of signed up.

Cheers NN, it's hilly, incredibly hilly and if there's any bit of a headwind, I can wave goodbye to making the cut-off.

I've looked at the logistics again and I see the issue now. The kayak stage is the second last stage in the race therefore for anyone aiming to finish in 23hour 30, for example, they'd be doing the kayak in the dark, which isn't allowed, therefore they'd be short coursed early in the race.

Essentially, it's not a 24 hour race, it's a 20 hour race because they've boxed themselves into a corner by having the kayak so late in the day. They could start the race earlier or reconfigure it (which is highly unlikely).

I'm very disappointed by this. I think I'd rather drop down and have a shot at Quest12 than risk being short coursed on "Quest24".

I haven't even thought about accommodation yet :D

Your well ahead of me Neady.
    I usually just turn up...its how I had a quick look at the 24 version sure the 12 looks quare handy on paper..... :)
    For the first year I was thinking the handy one just to see how I got on.

Your well ahead of me Neady.
    I usually just turn up...its how I had a quick look at the 24 version sure the 12 looks quare handy on paper..... :)
    For the first year I was thinking the handy one just to see how I got on.

Cheers NN. From a dude who recce'd the Quest12 route back in March
    I did the Quest12 route 3 weeks before The Race so had a decent level of fitness...I was carrying everything (no transition boxes) but I think without the kayak stage it was about 8.5hrs moving time, so throw in 50mins for the kayak and half an hour for transitions I'd be thinking about 10-10.5 hrs for the 12 route.... I found it tough going, the runs take a bit out of you but while there are hills on the cycles there is plenty of flat rolling bits too so I was able to maintain 24-25 kph on those....

Sounds like a great route. I may drop the 24hr and be on the 12 yet :)

In other news, Ollie, the RD from Quest 24 replied to me about my concerns over the cut-offs. The gist of it is
    We are currently reviewing the cut off times for Quest 12.24. We want to make it as fair as possible for everyone and our aim is not to short course people. We know how much training and hard work people are putting into getting ready for the event. I will look at the first cut off time on stage 3 bike leg and see if I can extend it out. The kayak cut off will be harder to adjust as its based on day light on the lake, we can't have people out on the water in the dark.

You are not the only person who has asked us about this and we will take a look at it.

Unfortunately doing a paddle in the dark isn't an option but they could push back the start of the race to 3 or 4am :) Lets see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I saw he had sent you a reply on facebook! So I wonder how many others have raised the same concerns!

Hopefully, they change the start time or they will have problems, see what happens I guess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FN 2187

Hi Neady,
    Your maths is off ;-)
    Assuming just making the T4 18:00 cut off, and using to the estimated average pace to the finish.
    The T4 cut off is based on a 19:32:30 finish. Maybe it could be renamed Quest 19.5?
    I agree an earlier start by at least 2 hours, and or putting back the T4 cut off by using solo kayaks instead of doubles could make it it a great challenging event.

FN 2187 wrote: »
    Hi Neady,
    Your maths is off ;-)
    Assuming just making the T4 18:00 cut off, and using to the estimated average pace to the finish.
    The T4 cut off is based on a 19:32:30 finish. Maybe it could be renamed Quest 19.5?
    I agree an earlier start by at least 2 hours, and or putting back the T4 cut off by using solo kayaks instead of doubles could make it it a great challenging event.

Cheers FN :) I'm an economist by trade, I made so many assumptions on a daily basis :D

It has the potential to be a fantastic race and I've said as much to them. The kayaking, seriously, 12km of hauling a double around a lake by yourself, maybe I'd be better not making the cut-off ;). Hopefully they can source some singles.

Neady your almost making this sound extremely easy.. :D

Just one other thing Neady do you have a gps link to your reccy and I can have a look at the elevations etc..

• Advertisement

Lads think only tomorrow to sign up anyone pull the trigger and register since the last day??
    Still looking at 12 and might go for it....

Looking at camping now going to try Goosey island as an option any other camping places in Sneem??

Howdy NN
    I’ve signed up for the 24,
    Theres an ongoing ‘kayak cut off’ topic on the Quest 12/24 FB group
    facebook.com/groups/Quest1224/?fref=nf
    If the start time and cut offs stay as is,
    It’s fair to say the race cut offs are calculated for a 17 - 19 ½ hr event.
    So maybe the 12 is worth considering and save yerself €150

Howdy NN
    I’ve signed up for the 24,
    Theres an ongoing ‘kayak cut off’ topic on the Quest 12/24 FB group
    facebook.com/groups/Quest1224/?fref=nf
    If the start time and cut offs stay as is,
    It’s fair to say the race cut offs are calculated for a 17 - 19 ½ hr event.
    So maybe the 12 is worth considering and save yerself €150

Cheers FN im not on Facebook so oblivious if its not on here....
    Ive an event next week so I feel after emailing the organisers they werent really willing to give me a bit of leeway. As im not sure what condition I will return in and recovery etc. (Whinge over)...
    I dont think its sold out at this stage and dont think it will as either distance is not really in have a go territory..or entry price have a go level...given the cost to travel, stay etc etc...some thinking to do..

Hi NN,
    Stop whinging you’ve loads of time to recover 
    Quest will be moving the start time back a ½ an hour and will maintain the same cut offs.
    So anyone racing at average pace (sub 20hr finish) should just make the Kayak cut off.
    The RD posted the following on FB yesterday:
    “Hi guys, after considering the cut off and timings and taking on board all the comments, the start time for Quest 24 will be 05.30 with the cut off times remaining the same. We think this should provide a fair cut off for the Kayak. I will be updating the info docs and sending out detailed race specific info in mid-July. Please note that as this is the first year of the event and with any new event the timings are only estimated and until participants race it in whatever race conditions are thrown up on the day (wind, rain, sun, average level of participant fitness etc.) we won't know what the average times are. On the day the cut offs could be changed but we will endeavour to make it fair but also tough enough to make the challenge just about achievable for the average endurance racer. I hope this helps and thanks for all the feedback we appreciate it”

Hi NN,
    Stop whinging you’ve loads of time to recover 
    Quest will be moving the start time back a ½ an hour and will maintain the same cut offs.
    So anyone racing at average pace (sub 20hr finish) should just make the Kayak cut off.
    The RD posted the following on FB yesterday:
    “Hi guys, after considering the cut off and timings and taking on board all the comments, the start time for Quest 24 will be 05.30 with the cut off times remaining the same. We think this should provide a fair cut off for the Kayak. I will be updating the info docs and sending out detailed race specific info in mid-July. Please note that as this is the first year of the event and with any new event the timings are only estimated and until participants race it in whatever race conditions are thrown up on the day (wind, rain, sun, average level of participant fitness etc.) we won't know what the average times are. On the day the cut offs could be changed but we will endeavour to make it fair but also tough enough to make the challenge just about achievable for the average endurance racer. I hope this helps and thanks for all the feedback we appreciate it”

I want my social life back! :D and the Kerry cute whorism is getting in on me..;)

Registration closed :) best of luck to you all....Might see youse next year!

Not much on here but good luck and safe round to everyone....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭Dubs1990

Well , how did the race go for everyone ? Was it organised well ? I see they already have 2019 dates out , would it be one for the diary??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Dubs1990 wrote:
    Well , how did the race go for everyone ? Was it organised well ? I see they already have 2019 dates out , would it be one for the diary??

I did the 12 version. Very manageable considering how little training I had done in the 2 months leading up to it. Route markings etc were excellent and it's an extremely enjoyable and picturesque course. Definitely a nice one to get you started out on long distance racing if that's the route you want to go down. The winner was in soon after the 8 hours mark and the vast majority competed with the 12 hours I would say. Will I do it again????? Ask me around Christmas ðŸ˜

Advertisement