Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help requested in finding an old friend

Options
  • 07-05-2018 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Good day everyone.  I’m looking for a little help and, although a bit of a longshot, I thought I’d give this forum  a shot.

My wife and I travelled to Dublin in March of this year, our first trip to the city and the country.  We had a great time, walking the city and enjoying all it had to offer, while also spending some time researching our heritage at the National Library (our ancestors emigrated to Canada from Ireland between 1820 and 1850).  We certainly plan to return, perhaps as soon as next year, to see more of the country.

However, the trip also brought back another memory for me.  I remember meeting a young lady from Dublin 40+ years ago in Toronto!  We corresponded for about a year, but I haven’t been in touch with her since.  The trip to Dublin sparked some memories, I came home and dug up some old pictures and letters,  and I have been wondering whatever became of her....which is where I am hoping someone on this site can help. 

This is what I know.  The young ladies name was Lorraine Cullen.  She had an older brother John (who lived in Toronto, thus her visit there), a younger sister Susan, and an older sister who’s name I have forgotten.  She lived at 102 Thatch Road, Whitehall, Dublin with her father and younger sister.  I believe her mother had passed at that time.

We reach a point in our lives where we start to wonder what happened to all of those who impacted our lives when we were (much) younger.  I’ve just activated a Facebook account and I’m reconnecting with many old friends…….any help anyone out there could provide in connecting with Lorraine would be sincerely appreciated.   

Thanks in advance for any assistance you are able to provide.  

Stephen Boylen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

A Facebook community group might be the best place to start. Maybe something like this given the house is near Beaumount; https://www.facebook.com/BRA.Beaumont

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

sboylen wrote: »
    Good day everyone.  I’m looking for a little help and, although a bit of a longshot, I thought I’d give this forum  a shot.

My wife and I travelled to Dublin in March of this year, our first trip to the city and the country.  We had a great time, walking the city and enjoying all it had to offer, while also spending some time researching our heritage at the National Library (our ancestors emigrated to Canada from Ireland between 1820 and 1850).  We certainly plan to return, perhaps as soon as next year, to see more of the country.

However, the trip also brought back another memory for me.  I remember meeting a young lady from Dublin 40+ years ago in Toronto!  We corresponded for about a year, but I haven’t been in touch with her since.  The trip to Dublin sparked some memories, I came home and dug up some old pictures and letters,  and I have been wondering whatever became of her....which is where I am hoping someone on this site can help. 

This is what I know.  The young ladies name was Lorraine Cullen.  She had an older brother John (who lived in Toronto, thus her visit there), a younger sister Susan, and an older sister who’s name I have forgotten.  She lived at 102 Thatch Road, Whitehall, Dublin with her father and younger sister.  I believe her mother had passed at that time.

We reach a point in our lives where we start to wonder what happened to all of those who impacted our lives when we were (much) younger.  I’ve just activated a Facebook account and I’m reconnecting with many old friends…….any help anyone out there could provide in connecting with Lorraine would be sincerely appreciated.   

Thanks in advance for any assistance you are able to provide.  

Stephen Boylen

Wow. I love hearing stories like this. I'm afraid I'm no help but I'd definitely continue on the path you're on. Forums like this, facebook groups etc

If you type "Lorraine Cullen" or "Susan Cullen" in to facebook you'll be brought to a search page. Here, you can "choose a city" and if you try Dublin, Ireland you might see if they have it. I know it's 40 years ago and might be tough to recognise but worth a shot. Or even "John Cullen" and try Toronto to see if he's still there

Best of luck, OP! And keep us posted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Nice idea there, but if those women married then they (likely) won't appear under those names. My own mother, for example, who'd be of a similar generation to the woman being searched for, does not appear as her maiden name on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭CinammonGirl

You could also try contacting some radio programmes in Ireland. Does Joe Duffy (RTE) or Ray Darcy (RTE) cover things like this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There's a Facebook page for the 60th anniversary of Our Lady of Mercy College Beaumont. Given where they lived, there's a good chance they went there. A message asking if anyone knows them can't hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 sboylen

Thanks for all of the great feedback folks.  I did post a note on the Beaumont BRA group 3 days ago.  No responses yet.  I also saw the 60th anniversary posts on the BRA group but saw no familiar names r faces.  I also posted a note on a 'Whitehall, Dublin' Facebook page, and also under the 'Dublin City' Forum on this service.  None have yielded anything yet, but it's been less than a week.
    Finally, I did review similar names for her looking specifically for a Lorraine 'from Dublin', and for John Cullen in Toronto and 'from Dublin'.  I found one possibility for her but there are even some holes in that profile.  I'm not ready to just message that person yet....it just doesn't seem right this early in the process.  Nothing for John, but then he'd have to be close to 70 now so may not be on Facebook.
    I'll continue my search and give these 3 posts a little more time to yield some information.  I'm actually finding it to be an interesting challenge, and it's bringing out my tenacity.  Hidden in this is of course the realization that this could also lead to terrible news which is not a good feeling, but I'm a 'glass half full' guy so I'll remain confident that this search will yield a positive result.
    Thanks again all, and I'll provide any updates as news develops....if any does.

Stephen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I've posted a bit I've found on the other thread in the Genealogy forum.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

If she was from Whitehall, it might be worthwhile contacting Near Fm - this is a local station that broadcasts in that area, and some of the DJs would be a bit older and position their shows to an older demographic, talking about people who lived in the area years ago, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Few years back a woman randomly rang my girlfriends parents house from Australia, parents were on holiday and she just happened to be in collecting post. She was looking for a guy who she got pregnant by 18 years previously (same surname but no relation) her and the missus got talking and she took a few details and said she'd try help but it was a long shot (very common name) - she told me the story later that day and it turned out to be a guy I was in school with.
    He didn't even know about the kid, I passed on the details, he made contact travelled over and now they have a relationship - sometimes things are just meant to be!

Best of luck with your search!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Just cross-posting from the Genealogy forum - pretty sure I know this woman, so will make contact.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement