Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Class 1/2 rear facing seat

• 07-05-2018 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I'm looking for recommendations for a Class 1/2 for extended rear facing car seat; one that will allow a now 13month old to face backwards for up to 4 or so.

Isofix preferred but if people have good experience with seat belt versions that's good to

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

We use the joie spin 360 which fits your bill. Isofix and up until around 4 (or until they exceed the weight limit).

We love it because of the spin - it makes life so much easier, especially now I’m pregnant. And our little boy loves it as it’s nice and comfy, reclines for naps, and is high enough for him to get a good view out the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Check out the ireland - rear facing car seat group on Facebook. They give great advice. The most suitable car seat depends on the height and weight of your baby for their age because if they are in the higher percentiles they will grow out of the 18kg ones before 4. There are a few 25kg ones but no isofix ones. I’m probably going to get the Axkid Minikid but it’s pretty expensive (400 Euro). The Britax two way elite is very popular as well and is 169 Euro in-line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭fits

Best thing to do is go to Tony kealys or mumnme in waterford and try a few. Not every seat will suit every car set up. We have the spin 360 as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Is your child light/average/heavy for their age? If they’re on the heavy side, an 18kg seat won’t last until 4. My two and a half year old is almost 17kg!!

If you plot him or her on the hse growth chart, that sill give you a good idea of when they’ll hit 18kg.
    I have a (belted) axkid minikid, and I could t fault it, it’s a great seat, especially for a heavier child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We’re lucky, 3.5 years and nowhere near limits yet. We have fhe joie 360 spin for my car (love it) and the joie stages (not isofix) for my husbands. Very happy with both

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I got a bit of a shock when I weighed him earlier, I knew he was on the heavy side, but I was expecting him to be around 14kgs!! So glad I went with 25kg seats for my two now!

We have this one for our 3.5 year old:
    Joie Stages [Smyths]

No ISOFIX, but that didn't trouble us too much (rear facing being more important than ISOFIX). But once you get the seat belt good and tight, the thing doesn't budge.

See the details on the link above, but some highlights not noted there:
    • It says "from birth", but I'd say from one year is probably more accurate.
    • Nice fabric - less sweaty.
    • Young fella seems really comfy in it. He's tall for his age, and alternates between stretching his legs against the car seat, crossing his legs in front of him.
    • The seatbelt is a little in the way when you're putting the child in, but I think that's par for this type of seat.

Other than that, we have a clip-on mirror for the rear seat. So we can see him when we look in the driver's rear-view mirror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,017 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Have the Joie Spin 360 here as well and like it a lot. The look of joy when we put our 11 month old into it was amazing. Up to that she had been in the same seat since birth and it was quite low. With the 360 it's high and she was able to look out the window properly which she likes. The spin function is excellent for getting them in and out.

Advertisement