Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking to buy trace minerals?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,526 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You'll get all the trace elements you need in a balanced diet.

The first of those products replaces lost electrolytes which is useful if you're dehydrated but a complete waste of money otherwise as you'll simply pee it straight out. If you need rehydration, you'll get all the electrolytes you need from a sachet of Dioralyte which you can buy in boxes of 12 or 20 in any chemist.

The amount of trace elements in sea salt is so miniscule that it is nothing more than a rip-off. Plus we are being reminded again and again that we need to cut down on added salt so whatever tiny benefit you might get from the trace elements (if any) will be negatively offset by the effects of adding salt to your food. I have heard nutritionists on the radio say that there is never a good reason to sprinkle sea salt on your food - to get any worthwhile dose of trace elements would require you to take a serious overdose of salt.

Good to see that it's non-GMO certified though, you can't be too careful these days! Slapping a 'non-GMO' logo on an inorganic substance like salt tells you what the producers think of their target audience.

Sea salt and table salt have the same basic nutritional value, despite the fact that sea salt is often promoted as being healthier.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/sea-salt/faq-20058512

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

coylemj wrote: »
    Slapping a 'non-GMO' logo on an inorganic substance like salt tells you what the producers think of their target audience.

giphy.gif

That's a bugbear of mine too.

That aside, if you still feel the products are worth spending your money on, OP, you might get some replies that can point you in the right direction from the Nutrition & Diet forum. Let me know if you'd like me to move the thread over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭TheTruthIsMine

You'll get all the trace elements you need in a balanced diet.

The first of those products replaces lost electrolytes which is useful if you're dehydrated but a complete waste of money otherwise as you'll simply pee it straight out. If you need rehydration, you'll get all the electrolytes you need from a sachet of Dioralyte which you can buy in boxes of 12 or 20 in any chemist.

The amount of trace elements in sea salt is so miniscule that it is nothing more than a rip-off. Plus we are being reminded again and again that we need to cut down on added salt so whatever tiny benefit you might get from the trace elements (if any) will be negatively offset by the effects of adding salt to your food. I have heard nutritionists on the radio say that there is never a good reason to sprinkle sea salt on your food - to get any worthwhile dose of trace elements would require you to take a serious overdose of salt.

Good to see that it's non-GMO certified though, you can't be too careful these days! Slapping a 'non-GMO' logo on an inorganic substance like salt tells you what the producers think of their target audience.

Sea salt and table salt have the same basic nutritional value, despite the fact that sea salt is often promoted as being healthier.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/sea-salt/faq-20058512
    Thanks Coylemj,

I should have said, but the reason I plan on purchasing it is to add a small amount to my distilled water. Maybe I could add Dioralyte to my distilled water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Slapping a 'non-GMO' logo on an inorganic substance like salt tells you what the producers think of their target audience.
    posted before, but still a favourite of mine.

free.png

Dioralyte is very overpriced for what it is. A supermarket own brand "low salt" mix will usually have a blend of sodium chloride and potassium chloride, which many reckon is all you need. Dioralyte will have other stuff too, the additional stuff could be bought online or possible ordered in by a chemist and you could still make your own FAR cheaper.

Some sports and bodybuilding sites will have similar blends for a fraction of the price, and can have no flavorings.

I am not talking just a bit better value, it could be 1/20th the price or even more.

Thanks Coylemj,

I should have said, but the reason I plan on purchasing it is to add a small amount to my distilled water. Maybe I could add Dioralyte to my distilled water.

Why do you think you need to take electrolytes? And distilled water - is there a problem with the public supply (tap water) where you live?

In the normal course of events and if you are not partaking in extreme physical activity or suffering from diarrohea or a hangover, you should never need to take electrolytes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A side question here but is table salt processed in any way ?, I remember trying to find out but couldn't , the implied question being is the fancier salts like himalayan etc any better for you?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Table salt isn't capable of being 'processed', it's a simple chemical compound of one atom of sodium bonded to one atom of chlorine - sodium chloride or NaCl. When packaged for cooking or the table, salt usually has an anti-caking agent added and if the label says 'Iodized', it has some potassium iodide added as a supplement for people who need to up their iodine intake.

Are the 'fancier' salts any better for you? Take a look at what I said about sea salt in post #2, those comments apply to any kind of salt that claims to be superior to table salt by virtue of where it came from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Table salt isn't capable of being 'processed', it's a simple chemical compound of one atom of sodium bonded to one atom of chlorine - sodium chloride or NaCl. When packaged for cooking or the table, salt usually has an anti-caking agent added and if the label says 'Iodized', it has some potassium iodide added as a supplement for people who need to up their iodine intake.

Are the 'fancier' salts any better for you? Take a look at what I said about sea salt in post #2, those comments apply to any kind of salt that claims to be superior to table salt by virtue of where it came from.

one thing i had heard was that table salt is heated to a high temperature? but i dont know if this is true

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

silverharp wrote: »
    A side question here but is table salt processed in any way ?, I remember trying to find out but couldn't , the implied question being is the fancier salts like himalayan etc any better for you?

I've no idea.
    But I do know that I much, much prefer the taste and texture of sea salt or rock salt to table salt. Different sea salts taste different to each other too. My favorite is the grey, French sea salt - fleur de sel.
    Some grinders don't like sea salt so I tend to use the pink salt in grinders

And distilled water - is there a problem with the public supply (tap water) where you live?
    Don't get me started.
    In the normal course of events and if you are not partaking in extreme physical activity or suffering from diarrohea or a hangover, you should never need to take electrolytes.
    unless you're distilling your water.

• Advertisement

I've no idea.
    But I do know that I much, much prefer the taste and texture of sea salt or rock salt to table salt. Different sea salts taste different to each other too. My favorite is the grey, French sea salt - fleur de sel.
    Some grinders don't like sea salt so I tend to use the pink salt in grinders
    I wonder if you could argue that there's trace elements of pollution in sea salt. Can you imagine the amount of sh1t getting into the ocean these days! >7 billion people, with a major cities along coast lines. Treatment plants only serve to reduce the type of pollution that is temporary, so they're ultimately not much good anyway. I wouldn't want to be eating fish.

Anyway, it wouldn't matter seeing as you sprinkle such small amounts of it on your food!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Don't get me started
    if you had some self control that would be great, spare us all the utter nonsense & lies...
    unless you're distilling your water.
    he covered that, it's not normal, nor advisable... so do not use the word "unless".

>700 billion people
    WTF!! :confused: is this some new conspiracy crap I have thankfully not heard of yet.

rubadub wrote: »
    spare us all the utter nonsense & lies...
    Ignorance is bliss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

rubadub, TheTruthIsMine, keep it civil and on topic.

Advertisement