Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP to missing cyclist

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Resoguy

Very sad, RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

RIP

Always worth having strava beacon or an ICE sensor if going solo

Very sad end

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭secman

Doesn't bear thinking about to be honest, all my rides are solo. RIP and condolences to his family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

RIP.

Only read about this after doing a couple of solo mtb spins over the weekend, including some in unofficial trails. Whilst my better half knew roughly where I was, I'll be using live track from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Indeed, something for us all to think about. I use Garmin live tracking on my 520 and purely for this reason.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Poor guy, R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I use livetrack but Garmin keep disabling autostart with every update and not notifying me.

Also there's a large swathe of that area with no Mobile phone signal whatsoever.

I once had to walk for 30 minutes with the bike on my shoulder until I found a house in Aughavannagh where the owner kindly let me use her landline.

The point being that technological safety nets are limited.

RIP to the man. I hope it was quick and without pain or fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Sad to hear. Got me thinking of the amount of times I've told the other half I'm going down to Wicklow or up to north county Dublin for a cycle without giving a rough idea of the areas I'd be in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

RIP, scary stuff

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Mod note: this is a condolences thread only, take to discussion elsewhere. posts deleted, further OT posts will be deleted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

RIP
    So very sad, we're so vulnerable out there in so many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

RIP and condolences to friends and family.

It's something that's crossed my mind on occasion. As a mountain biker, I often go on solo spins. One beautiful day last summer I took a tumble on one of the more extreme natural trails in Ticknock. Soft landing, and I was totally fine, but when I checked Strava later that day I saw that I was the only person to have recorded a time on that segment all day. Really made me think that had I crashed hard and been in trouble, it may have been quite a long time before I was found. Definitely made me think twice about the risks I take while out solo, and I now stick to well travelled routes if I'm not out with friends.

Advertisement