Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone bought in Argos Not Charging

Options
  • 07-05-2018 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

DELETE MEH C.B.A. Thanks to all those with helpful advice, very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Does anyone know if there's any comeback on a Phone bought in Argos that has stopped charging?

How long you had it , Argos are pretty good if its still under guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

When was it bought? Have checked that the fault is with the phone itself and not the charger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

If its an iPhone and not an official apple charger, then 99% its a charger issue.

But without any proper information a correct answer to your query can't be given

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I didn't read past the first couple of paragraphs, but seems your house is haunted. :)

Rather strange situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

TLDR

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its going into cell protect mode, stop letting it go to 0%!

Only some chargers can revive phones from a critically low voltage. For example my VOOC fast charger won't revive a dead phone but will bring it from 10% to 90% in 40 mins. Gotta use a dumb charger in between.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 69,015 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bowl of rice doesn't work for anything, ever. If you have water damaged a phone this will just let starches in to it further doing it in. Have you water damaged it?

The cable supplied with my own Nokia (3) is absolute junk, but it charges on everything else. Does it charge using the USB port on a computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Oh it's very complicated! I really don't know where to start. :( Well obviously I guess Phone-Repair-Shop but I havn't been near a City at Business Hours in a while and havn't especially made a trip up but obviously will have to soon I think.

The Phone won't charge in any of the Plugs in my house! It doesn't appear to be the Phone because, the Phone charges fine in other people's house! So therefore, in my mind, that rules out bringing it into a Phone-Repair-Shop plus what will likely happen is it'll charge perfectly in there! It's not my houses' plugs, because, my houses' plugs power and charge other Devices and machines fine! It's not the Charger, because, the Charger works fine with my old Phone. It's not a Charger problem, because, I've tried a million different Chargers and again they all work perfectly with my old Phone.

A couple of things noted, if I do charge it in someone else's house, on returning back to my own house and plug it in here, - it does charge a tiny tiny bit, like maybe goes up in the charge about 20% but exceptionally slow in doing do, and it takes forever hours and hours and hours to go up a few per cent! I did manage to get it charging from scratch on one occasion in the last couple of weeks, as it happened I had previously put it into a Bowl of Rice and I'm not sure if that had any effect on it, but it started up after that from a dead state where it's off and dead completely, but I'm not sure if that one time I in-advertently / off-handedly kept the 1/2 buttons pressed / held in longer than I had done previously in order to boot the Phone and start it again or if it in fact was the Rice that brought it back to life! Holding in the buttons hasn't worked since anyway. Nor has more Rice helped.

Like if I bring it to someone else's house to charge it and then go and use it fully normally, - the Battery runs down as per normal with any Phone until it goes dead and apart from the one time I managed to boot it up, powering it from my own house's plugs from a dead state won't work. There might be a chance of me being able to keep it on and working a bit, if I don't let it go to its' death, I might still be able to charge it a couple of per cent more with my own house's plugs! Buuut if doing that, I might as well just forget about it, I won't be able to use it fully if I'm trying not to use up the Battery in it!! That's just ridiculous! Gahhhhh it's so annoying. It has my heart broken! :mad::(
    Well Technology generally tends to break my heart hah!

There is one thing strange about the Charger. When it does charge, - there is only currently one Charger that works with it. I got it in a Petrol-Station for around €8. There was different coloured ones, a red one and a purple one etc. But it's the only Charger out of a few different Chargers I've tried that will work with it!! It doesn't sit into the Phone-slot fully, or click-into-place, or whatever ya want to call it. This particular Charger only sits in about halfway! When it does charge it still charges fine like that half way in. Trying to push it all the way in is only forcing it. It does charge old Phone I have fine too, sitting half way into the slot in the Phone. Other Chargers I have that do go all the way in and kind-of click into place and sit fully snugly tightly slotted into the slot on both my old Phone and this Phone.

But, these all-the-way-in click-into-place snug tight Chargers ONLY actually charge my OLD Phone! However they DO sit fully into new Phone comfortably fine and not forced or anything but WON'T actually charge new Phone. All's that'll charge new Phone is the €8 Petrol-Station Charger, that sits half way into Phone slot. I was reading up online about this and people say they too have Chargers that only sit half way into the Phone slot and they work perfectly fine. I will say that, it's not wiggly or loose or anything even though it's only halfway in! It doesn't look out of place or look like it's falling out. It's actually only on buying different Chargers trying to try different ones that I realized, hey some Chargers go all the way in!!

Yeahhhh I think Phone has just given up the ghost altogether! May just get a new Phone altogether but it definitely won't be a Nokia!

It's a Nokia Phone like! A feicing sturdy Nokia Phone. Nokia supposed to defy all odds but I don't know what's happened in this case! It has seriously questionned my loyalty in Nokia. It's only a short few months old! Because of the fact that I bought it in a Shop and if they do courteously take it back or replace it, what are the chances that it's just some failure on this particular Phone/Model and it bloody happens again like! Actually I never thought to see if there's a Thread on Boards for this Phone I must check...

If we have an Electricity Forum I wonder could this Thread be moved there please? See if they have any suggestions or answers for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Took down original Post as so much text was just more annoying moreso than what anyone could easily read and provide help for! :rolleyes: But just wanted to describe the whole situation!

Howandever, I'm gonna stick the Post back up again, just in case anyone else experiences the same thing. Because. I have found something that works!!!!!

I love finding a way around things and beating the system! And it beggars belief if every single broken thing, - can't be fixed by/in some ways / means. And when things break, before ya give it a second thought, ya could easily have it replaced and bought new again in the same breath!

But anyway back to matter at hand! I went into Town there one day lately, and bought everything around me! New wires and Cables and Adapters and Car-Chargers Choke thingies and what-not. And other than that Coloured / Red / Purple Cable I bought in the Petrol-Station for €8 I mentionned earlier, - I have actually found another Charger that works!! :D:eek:

As it happens, the Red €8 Cable I got has since stopped working, I think there is a kink in the wiring. But, I got something in Dealz in Castlebar, that has worked since, and given me no problems so far! And charges from Phone's Dead State and everything! It's not a Cable or a whole Charger! The Cabling is on a Wheel that you expand / retract! :cool::pac: :):) It looks like a Yo-Yo and around the same size. :) Anyway it's working find for me!

So if anyone else has any problems with Chargers / Cables, try this Yo-Yo Wheel thingy! It's in Dealz in Castlebar. They didn't have them in Headford Road in Galway in the last couple of weeks but might have gotten them in since.

<<<<<<<<THE END>>>>>>>>

• Advertisement
Advertisement