Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage rates

Options
  • 07-05-2018 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi, I'm wondering how often banks usually change their rates? My fixed rate is almost up with bank of Ireland but their rates seem to be the worst out there. I've received the 2 percent lump sum also which I have to pay back if I switch so also wondering has anyone else done this and whether they charge you the full amount? Anyone any idea how often banks change their rates? Really hoping bank of Ireland improve theirs as even AIB rates are now below 3 percent. Anyone aware of a time of year changes tend to happen or is it just unpredictable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The cash back is paid for (more than paid for) by their rates. I doubt BOI will change a policy that's drawing in customers, namely high rates and cash back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Dublingirl80

I'm curious if it's likely they will improve their rates given all the other banks have? Wish I'd went with ulster bank but I wanted the lump sum for furniture etc.
    The cash back is paid for (more than paid for) by their rates. I doubt BOI will change a policy that's drawing in customers, which id high rates and cash back.

I'm curious if it's likely they will improve their rates given all the other banks have? Wish I'd went with ulster bank but I wanted the lump sum for furniture etc.

I doubt by very much as the lump sum is attractive to many.

I doubt by very much as the lump sum is attractive to many.

Thanks, I'm out of the contract in two years if I want to leave, but I just don't know how rates will go. Decisions on how long to fix for are hard as they seem to constantly have went down in the last few years but they could also go back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Hi, I'm wondering how often banks usually change their rates? My fixed rate is almost up with bank of Ireland but their rates seem to be the worst out there. I've received the 2 percent lump sum also which I have to pay back if I switch so also wondering has anyone else done this and whether they charge you the full amount? Anyone any idea how often banks change their rates? Really hoping bank of Ireland improve theirs as even AIB rates are now below 3 percent. Anyone aware of a time of year changes tend to happen or is it just unpredictable?

I believe they can no longer claw back the cash back offers

• Advertisement

Personally I think they've only one way to go, but plenty disagree. I locked in at just under 3% for 10 years, frankly I don't see a huge amount of competition for Irish banks at the prime end, sub prime - high interest maybe. It's near impossible to repossess in this country so I don't see a big German et al bank coming over with great rates trying to get share in our tiny, unpredictable, dysfunctional market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

I've received the 2 percent lump sum also which I have to pay back if I switch

No you won't. It's against EU law to lock people in with special up front offers.

Contact them in writing to confirm and you will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

The banks aren't able to request repayment of the 2%, so don't be concerned about that. Call them to verify if you want to confirm. Might be an idea to look elsewhere for a switch.

In terms of rate changes frequency, that's very much on a needs basis, so adhocly basically, as each bank makes changes to fit their targets.

Boi fixed rates aren't bad to be fair in Irish market terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,946 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Augeo wrote: »

Aren't they the most expensive of all the traditional banks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

Personally I think they've only one way to go, but plenty disagree. I locked in at just under 3% for 10 years, frankly I don't see a huge amount of competition for Irish banks at the prime end, sub prime - high interest maybe. It's near impossible to repossess in this country so I don't see a big German et al bank coming over with great rates trying to get share in our tiny, unpredictable, dysfunctional market.

3% for 10 years is about as good as you'll see in my opinion as well, but my tendency would be to take advantage of the cashback in the short term. The 3% 10 year deals won't go away in the near future and rates are unlikely to go north in the next 12 months.

Do you mean that you don't have to pay them back in order to switch mortgage? I've been with them for 3 years but they said the minimum was 5 for the cash back offer. Mine was the one before they offered the extra one percent if you stay five years. Do you know if this is anywhere online if it is the case?
    Rackstar wrote: »
    I believe they can no longer claw back the cash back offers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Do you mean that you don't have to pay them back in order to switch mortgage? I've been with them for 3 years but they said the minimum was 5 for the cash back offer. Mine was the one before they offered the extra one percent if you stay five years. Do you know if this is anywhere online if it is the case?

It's been illegal for them to clawback the cash back offers since 2016 when the EU Mortgage Credit Directive was signed into law. You could argue that it might even date back to 2014 when the Government first accepted the directive.

I know a couple that have made a tidy sum changing their mortgage multiple times over the last few years and getting cash back offers every time they've changed. I'm surprised more people haven't been doing this and even more surprised that the banks are still offering them considering they can't clawback the money. They must be hoping people can't be bothered to go through the process of changing on multiple occasions.

listermint wrote: »
    Aren't they the most expensive of all the traditional banks.

Their fixed rates are not.

I hadn't seen the ten year rate. I could be tempted by this but as ulster bank have one as low as 2.6 I was tempted to switch over. All this information has been very useful as I was told when I signed up that I'd have to pay back the cash sum if I switched within 5 years. That was in 2015 so the changes would have happened after. Thank you everyone. This gives me more options when my fixed rate is up. I'm wary of sticking with a bank that isn't competitive with their rates but for 10 years the 3 percent may be an option.

They've definitely improved since I signed up but it seems like all the others have lower ones and the .2 percent etc makes a big difference. At least they've all went down, even Northern Ireland have much better rates than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Q&A

Currently in the process of switching to Ulster having drawn down with EBS six months ago. I'm taking the 2% and running. I asked EBS at drawdown about the claw back and they had no problems pointing out that they couldn't chase me for it even if they wanted to. Most banks work on the idea rust is such an arduous process people will just not bother.

Am switching for rate purposes this time but there is a a part of me saying I should go for the cashback again

As for Ulster Bank 4 year 2.6% versus 10 years with BOI/KBC I think it depends on circumstances and how aggressive you plan on repaying. Ulster have a head turning rate but they also allow overpayments of 10% of the BALANCE. That allows for some aggressive overpayment. Whereas the the other banks allow 10% overpayment of your REPAYMENT. So in other words if you're overpaying the long term cost is probably lower with Ulster. However, if you're just paying the minium locking in for longer (albeit at a littler higher rate) probably works out cheaper in the long run.

Mugs game to try and predict rates other than to say they will be higher in the future. Go with whichever is likely to be cheaper in the long run

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

We're FTB's with a likely ~90% LTV. My understanding is that BOI offer 3.5% for 10 years and 3% for 5 years fixed? I'd be interested in locking in a 10 year fixed of 3% if it was available, but I'm assuming this is for a lower LTV? Possibly below 80%?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,990 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Are there any better fixed rate mortgages that the bank of Ireland 5 Yr fixed @3% plus the 3% cashback?
    I'm tempted to go with them as I also qualify for the 2k bonus.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

aloooof wrote: »
    We're FTB's with a likely ~90% LTV. My understanding is that BOI offer 3.5% for 10 years and 3% for 5 years fixed? I'd be interested in locking in a 10 year fixed of 3% if it was available, but I'm assuming this is for a lower LTV? Possibly below 80%?

BOI don't offer (well they don't advertise) 3% fixed beyond 5 years currently.

• Advertisement

Sorry yes somebody mentioned ten year fixed at 3 percent but it must be a different bank or have changed. I'm
    Very tempted by ulster bank for the low rates but it does seem like hassle switching also. I'm also wondering what happens in the time it takes to switch, prob about 6 months, do you need to be on a variable rate while the whole process takes place? thats interesting, I think when out of fixed rate I can also pay a small lump sum off my mortgage so that's also something I could do.
    BOI don't offer (well they don't advertise) 3% fixed beyond 5 years currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Great rate, I'm on 3.65 at the minute which is way too high, it will be up by October next year but I have a feeling the ECB rate will have increased by then

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Great rate, I'm on 3.65 at the minute which is way too high, it will be up by October next year but I have a feeling the ECB rate will have increased by then

Why wait until October?
    Chances are you can break now with no breakage fee. Just ring your bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Sorry yes somebody mentioned ten year fixed at 3 percent but it must be a different bank or have changed. I'm
    Very tempted by ulster bank for the low rates but it does seem like hassle switching also. I'm also wondering what happens in the time it takes to switch, prob about 6 months, do you need to be on a variable rate while the whole process takes place? thats interesting, I think when out of fixed rate I can also pay a small lump sum off my mortgage so that's also something I could do.

It takes weeks to switch and it’s about 2 hours ‘work’ and you don’t need to be out of a fixed rate to pay off a lump sum , there may not be a penalty or you may be allowed pay a certain amount off without penalty you need to check

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Spider Rico

Approved for switch to BOI 5 year 3%, plus cashback....from PTSB 4.2% variable currently. It makes such a difference!

Consider to Set your payment to what it was at 4.2%.... that'll make the biggest difference long-term :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Spider Rico

Consider to Set your payment to what it was at 4.2%.... that'll make the biggest difference long-term :)

Only have the option to fix for 5 years at ptsb at 4.2% so still don’t see a reason to stay for that. Though fully expect interest rates to have gone up a lot by the time I shop around again in 5 years time ðŸ™

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

dubrov wrote: »
    Why wait until October?
    Chances are you can break now with no breakage fee. Just ring your bank.

But I'm fixed for another year? I suppose I could check

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

I was 2 years into a 5 year fix and changed for no fee (except for valuation which costs 150 I think). Saving over 110 a month which we are now overpaying - madness not to check and do the sums.

• Advertisement

You can break a fixed rate for a breakage fee.
    The breakage fee is mostly based on the banks rate of funding at the time you took out the loan to their current rate of funding. It does not matter what their current fixed rate is.

The cost of funding for Irish banks has decreased a lot over the last few years so I suspect there is little/no breakage fee for most people.

Advertisement