Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting started cycling?

Options
  • 08-05-2018 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

I have a hybrid bike I got off a friend and it's time to actually use it. Just wondering do ye have any advice for a complete newbie?
    I'm out of shape and haven't done any exercise in 20 years basically so I'm starting from scratch. How often should I aim to cycle and what distance to start off etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

clio_16v wrote: »
    I have a hybrid bike I got off a friend and it's time to actually use it. Just wondering do ye have any advice for a complete newbie?
    I'm out of shape and haven't done any exercise in 20 years basically so I'm starting from scratch. How often should I aim to cycle and what distance to start off etc

Great to get a friends bike but you must ensure it fits you and is safe. Perhaps get a sizing and service locally.
    Any distance to start. Going to the shops and slowly increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Pick a short circuit from your house. Figure out how many laps you can do before you're pooped. Do that 3/4 times a week until you can do it without being pooped. Add a few laps.

Then you'll have a feel for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

The advice above is brilliant. I was in your situation a few years ago. The key thing for me was start from the house, so there is less organising involved. Find local cycle tracks, parks, canal, quiet roads for less stressful cycling. Enjoy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where do you live? you might find someone on here knows your area and can suggest routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

At the beginning, don't worry about how fast you go (or can go) - concentrate on going as far as you can - this will improve your muscle tone, and get your body used to regular exercise.
    When you feel physically comfortable and confident on the bike, you can start going a bit faster, and going up a few hills (gentle ones to start), which will improve your heart/lung capacity and stamina, and that is where the real fitness improvements lie.

PS: Get used to changing gears and do it whenever you need to - in varying terrain, it's not unusual to change gear ten times in a kilometre. Enjoy the gears, they're your friends :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

where do you live? you might find someone on here knows your area and can suggest routes.

Im also new to cycling and live on the northside (Raheny). Will be doing Howth head this weekend, if anyone has any other cycle routes they could recommend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

HugoMyBoss wrote: »
    Im also new to cycling and live on the northside (Raheny). Will be doing Howth head this weekend, if anyone has any other cycle routes they could recommend.
    You could head up the coast from Sutton > Portmarnock > Malahide. Either head out and back the same (scenic) way or come back the Malahide Rd (busier). In the future you could branch out from Malahide to Swords, and then start exploring the country roads around NCD (look at routes linking Naul, Garristown, Oldtown, Ballyboughal, Lusk, Rush, Skerries).

When I was starting out I'd plan loops on Google maps, trying new roads and increasing distance with each spin. Set a target town or village and then figure out what way to get there and back. Explore smaller roads you've passed by car to see where they go.

The more you get out the more comfortable you'll feel, be it mixing with traffic or going for longer distance. You'll soon learn what roads you like and what roads to avoid, and you'll end up combining routes to get longer spins in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Nothing wrong with stopping for 10 mins to get a cuppa and you'll be surprised at how far you can go at 65% effort.

Get distance comfy on the bike, might mean changing stem, saddle, seat post height (or getting your arse used to it all) then start to push on.

Much better to enjoy and get fit than be grumpy and not loving it.

as mentioned above, use the gears wisely. don't be afraid to pick an easy gear - i.e. one that will allow you pedal faster.
    i remember the first time i got on the bike after a gap of about five years. i felt like death warmed up for about half an hour after, having done 13km; i think i was trying to be too macho and grind out a heavy gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

The most important thing is to enjoy it, whether you do 5k or 50k.
    Go at your own pace, enjoy the change of perspective on a bike instead of in a vehicle, the sights, the smells.
    Be safe and best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Type 17 wrote: »
    this will improve your muscle tone

Are you trying to start WW3 :pac:

clio_16v wrote: »

I started cycling in July and the best advice I was given, was JFDI :D

honestly, just get out there and cycle for as long as you like, it gets easier every time you go out and you become better and better at using the gears correctly, cycling through traffic etc. The only person you have to impress at the moment is yourself, so concentrate on getting used to the bike, setting it up properly and getting yourself set up with the proper equipment.

I also found watching the Global cycling Network on you tube really helpful, as they tell you about all sorts of things from correct gear selection, indexing gears, saddle height right through to correct fueling (very important when you start heading out for longer rides).

Advertisement