Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Online Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Just created a JP account there, linked to my system and downloading the Famicom Online thingy now.
    Nice tip there!

What's the benifit? Different games?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Sounds messy and nobody is totally certain just yet what is and isn't possible. Will wait a few days and see what the final verdict is on this. Will be getting the service regardless but would be nice to have access to a few extra games my mates own.

Seems easier to do if you have 2 switches in one household, for instance I have splatoon 2 and my daughter has Mario Kart so we should be able to play together no problem at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Seems easier to do if you have 2 switches in one household, for instance I have splatoon 2 and my daughter has Mario Kart so we should be able to play together no problem at all.

When you say it like that, suddenly making it difficult to chat to other Switch users makes sense! It's so you have to make an effort to game the ability to share downloaded software!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Having never owned or played a NES or SNES, I'm loving the NESflix option already. Great little addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Mr E wrote: »
    About game sharing. Not great. The user that downloaded the game needs to be on the other switch, and with cloud saves, they get access to your progress.

So for example, I set up game sharing with my nephew (who has his own switch). I have to add a "Dave" profile on his Switch. If he loads Hollow Knight on his Switch (and he has to use my "Dave" profile to do it, he will get an error if he uses another profile), then he will start his game where I am (about 20 hours in).

Cue the inevitable "sh*t, he lost all my geo" situation ...

With the game sharing can you not just use a new save game file? Or are you saying you'll be forced to continue where you left off on the original save file?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Depends on the game. In something like Dead Cells and Gungeon, you can "Continue" or start "New Game".

I wouldn't risk it anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

iamtony wrote:
    I wonder does it mean if you don’t cancel that free week is part of your first month sub? Otherwise standard practice.

What annoyed me was that you don't get a free week if you pay for the year up front.

That said, only cost €15 for the year on SA store

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

iamtony wrote: »
    What's the benifit? Different games?

Not sure, I'm in work and I can't really whip out the Switch here in the office!

A brief scan indicated that they are broadly the same, but a pretty decent selection never the less.
    The Famicom cart images look nicer than the NES scans at least, but I think I own most of them, between both my Famicom and NES collections.

An interesting point however....

We are given, as a given, that the Capcom Megaman/Rockman collections were necessarily divided across two carts/downloads.
    The NES online stuff would suggest that there really is no excuse, that they could have all been included in one pack.

Those Capcom collections would also indicate why there is no Megaman/Rockman included in the Nintendo Online selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

About game sharing. Not great. The user that downloaded the game needs to be on the other switch, and with cloud saves, they get access to your progress.

So for example, I set up game sharing with my nephew (who has his own switch). I have to add a "Dave" profile on his Switch. If he loads Hollow Knight on his Switch (and he has to use my "Dave" profile to do it, he will get an error if he uses another profile), then he will start his game where I am (about 20 hours in).

Cue the inevitable "sh*t, he lost all my geo" situation ...

You can turn on/off automatic cloud saves. Can also turn them on/off on a per title basis... Also as far as I can tell, it doesn’t automatically download the cloud save? Might be wrong but looking at the options it seems you can choose to overwrite the local save file manually.

In general:
    Seems it works best for smaller titles where the second person wouldn’t care keeping the save file forever as it wouldn’t be on their own account. Also the “you can only play on one device” restriction is presumably relaxed if the second switch is connected online to log in, but the main/primary one is offline for the duration of the session.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Sorry, being dense.

Myself and my kids all have profile each on our one switch, so I presume I need the family plan rather than individual version of this despite only having one actual console?

Thanks, and apologies again.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

If they want to play online, and they have a full profile (with email address), then a family account is the best option.

Trying to think of a downside of making my South African account my primary account. It's R459 for a family membership, which is €26.81.

Has anyone done this?

My account was SA when I logged in earlier, so left it as I'd and bought years subscription. Will find out later if there is any negative impact of it I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

I'm sitting wondering if I should change my main account from my real main account (US account because I was thick and bought a game but left money in the account which is so small I can't get rid of the remainder so I can switch) or to use my Irish account that I set up but isn't the gamertag name I want :confused::confused:

Edit: took one minute on to Nintendo webchat and they've changed my account back to Ireland, deadly stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

Sounds like we're all waiting to see if there's any negatives to family subs from cheaper regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Grassey wrote: »
    My account was SA when I logged in earlier, so left it as I'd and bought years subscription. Will find out later if there is any negative impact of it I guess.

What i would be curious to know is what happens to the subscription if you change that account to ireland now. Let us know if you ever do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Trying to think of a downside of making my South African account my primary account. It's R459 for a family membership, which is €26.81.

Has anyone done this?

Ive thought about this myself as it makes the most sense. Only concern is that Nintendo are surely going to give a closer look at this when a load of people suddenly have their main family member in SA and the rest of the family scattered to Norway, Russia, USA and Ireland, specifically :D:D:D

Im sure us boardsies arent the only ones thinking of this too.

Going to be interesting to see how Nintendo 'play' this one and how they implement restrictions and changes going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭nedd

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Sounds like we're all waiting to see if there's any negatives to family subs from cheaper regions.

I bought family sub in SA yesterday. All working ok so far. Played some NES with my main account.

So far so good.

Same here. Haven't played anything online yet, but I don't think there will be any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Really disappointed there were no onlibe specific discounts in the sale

It was the reason I bought it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Really disappointed there were no onlibe specific discounts in the sale

It was the reason I bought it

Did they not say that the extra discounts wouldn't be added on launch but a little later?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Did they not say that the extra discounts wouldn't be added on launch but a little later?

That's fair enough, never say that

Pdf user guides for nes games online. Love the metroid one

South African subscription here as well (I can’t see how Nintendo won’t have to crack down on this in the future!). I moved from the Russian store and realised I had a few m gold points left in SA so good surprise as well (I thought the points were lost when you change country but they’re just hidden until you move back to that country).

How are cloud saves working for people here? I left the Switch powered on for a while, idle with a power source and connected to WiFi, and saves didn’t seem to automatically go to the cloud. If I go to the menus and trigger the sync manually it works fine though. Is it meant to synchronise automatically and is there a schedule for it?

connected to a power source or 'officially' docked?
    might make a difference.

Having to manually synch Cloud backups is a little un-cloud-like though...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Bob24 wrote: »
    South African subscription here as well (I can’t see how Nintendo won’t have to crack down on this in the future!).

You can always claim....

tumblr_njxsy1jxQb1t0oqv2o4_250.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭nedd

You can always claim....

Off topic, but that is a GIF I can hear!

Banjo wrote: »
    connected to a power source or 'officially' docked?
    might make a difference.

Having to manually synch Cloud backups is a little un-cloud-like though...

Yes I wasn’t clear. I meant I left the Switch docked, connected to WiFi, powered on, and on the menu with no game actively running. I let it do it’s own thing for about an hour and the saves didn’t go to the cloud. I then went to the menu and triggered the process manually which worked fine, so the backup process itself is working OK and it’s just that it didn’t trigger automatically. I’m assuming it is meant to happen automatically, so I’m wondering what the trigger condition might be.

nedd wrote: »
    Off topic, but that is a GIF I can hear!

One of the true joys of parenting is, 10 minutes after you see a car with Corps Diplomatique plates and you've finally stopped shouting "Deeeeplomatic Eeeeemooooonateeee!", you can explain a kid-friendly version of the plot of LW2 to your 5 year old and then spend another 10 minutes shouting it at passing cars as a family - quality time!

• Advertisement

You can always claim....

True! But diplomatic immunity doesn’t mean you can’t be expelled ;-)

Advertisement