Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Online Discussion

Options

Comments

Hey guys,

When does the free access end? I'm guessing you can't play fortnite without signing up to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭nedd

Hey guys,

When does the free access end? I'm guessing you can't play fortnite without signing up to this?

This is not needed to play Fortnite online. Or any other Free to Play game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

With a South African family plan, you can buy your Irish account access as well, as it's not region locked yet, and share it with other people who may be your extended family.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yes I wasn’t clear. I meant I left the Switch docked, connected to WiFi, powered on, and on the menu with no game actively running. I left it do it’s own thing for about an hour and the saves didn’t go to the cloud. I then went to the menu and triggered the process manually which worked fine, so the backup process itself is working OK and it’s just that it didn’t trigger automatically. I’m assuming it is meant to happen automatically, so I’m wondering what the trigger condition might be.

I think it's Nintendo pulling a "Nintendo" again.

I've been playing Into The Breach and the NES game thing, so both of those have uploaded okay. Mario Kart and Mario Odyssey were both patched recently, and their saves have been uploaded.

Every other save displays "Pending". So I started a few games I hadn't played in a while (Picross, Bayonetta, ...) and the saves uploaded after I closed the game. So my guess is that "Pending" means "waiting", not "queued".

Important thing to note here is that it happened after I closed the game... neither minimising the game nor suspending the Switch triggered an upload.

So, to answer this...
    ...I’m wondering what the trigger condition might be.
    Closing the game triggers the upload. And I think auto updates of games will also trigger the upload.

Perhaps Nintendo are just easing the load on the servers, and full automated backups will come in a future update? Who knows, but right now it's a damn quirky implementation...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Mr E wrote: »
    Trying to think of a downside of making my South African account my primary account. It's R459 for a family membership, which is €26.81.

Has anyone done this?

I went down this route myself. Very hard to find a negative but time will tell :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Me too, and everything has been fine so faAAAAARGH!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

When wud people reasonably expect SNES titles to appear on Nintendo Online?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The sooner the better. The NES games (bar about 5 of them) have aged badly.

I expect maybe E3 2019? Or the first anniversary of the Online launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

When they stop selling the SNES mini

They just did a fresh run of the NES mini, so that doesn't stack up. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Given the NES emulator in use is old hat now, there's no excuse for them not getting some SNES out there in short order.
    Nothing in the NES bundle would inspire me to renew. Basically I feel like they've put a gun to Rocket Leagues head

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Nintendo's Online service could really do with some quality SNES titles, as said previously, the NES titles have aged horribly but the SNES 16 bit titles still hold up very well today and play great. A few SNES titles like F-Zero, Mario Kart and Super Mario World are worth more than the entire NES library combined imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭nedd

Gonzo wrote: »
    Nintendo's Online service could really do with some quality SNES titles, as said previously, the NES titles have aged horribly but the SNES 16 bit titles still hold up very well today and play great. A few SNES titles like F-Zero, Mario Kart and Super Mario World are worth more than the entire NES library combined imo.

I totally agree with this!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Agreed for most NES game. But having said that I’ve been going through the original Super Mario Bros which I didnt really play as a kid (my Nintendo consoles were a Gameboy and a Super Nintendo), and I am enjoying it. Because of the hardware limitations the game is simple but I actually like the simplicity and the gameplay is brilliant given the technical limitations they had. So that’s a game I am actually enjoying and planning to finish.

Now I tried Tennis and the Motocross game and yes fully agreed on those, I’d play them for a short while more as a historical experience but I won’t be coming back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Agreed for most NES game. But having said that I’ve been going through the original Super Mario Bros which I didnt really play as a kid (my Nintendo consoles were a Gameboy and a Super Nintendo), and I am enjoying it. Because of the hardware limitations the game is simple but I actually like the simplicity and the gameplay is brilliant given the technical limitations they had. So that’s a game I am actually enjoying and planning to finish.

Now I tried Tennis and the Motocross game and yes fully agreed on those, I’d play them for a short while more as a historical experience but I won’t be coming back to them.

More or less all the games are like this though. I had a NES, and it's purely nostalgia - some are very playable, like the Mario games, but most are not, and are a nice exercise in showing how far things have come, and how well they made games considering the limitations. Tried playing Double Dragon last night, used to love it, but man, that's tough to play now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

I have no doubt they're coming down the line. Maybe in the new year? It would have been nice to have them at the online launch though, it would have been a nice sell. Super Mario Kart with online functionality will make me very, very happy :)

It would be a nice Christmas surprise. Come on, Nintendo. Make it happen. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Maybe this time next year when the subscription is up for renewal. I think Nintendo will charge extra to play SNES games, possibly add another €5-10. The €20 now is just the basic entry level fee.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Any figure is liable to review in years to come, so an increase is inevitable, but I think it's a massive stretch to suggest that Nintendo are going to charge extra for access to Snes or other games, at least in terms of the subscription model.

They have said that the Virtual Console brand is gone, to be replaced with something else.
    Perhaps that something else is the game range provided by the Online service?
    I think that can't persist, I don't expect access to Gamecube classics to be part of that sub.
    Would N64/Snes games be included?
    Perhaps.
    I think the way that Sega games are being broken up between single releases via Sega Ages, and a larger collection, is confusing.
    I think that the similar way that NES games are being split between the Online offering and dedicated releases such as Megaman/Rockman is a drag as well.

So, we shall have to wait to see, I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm tentatively interested in this but only if my previous VC purchases come over. I'm not buying Mario World or Zelda for a fourth time from Nitendo

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭panevthe3rd

I'm tentatively interested in this but only if my previous VC purchases come over. I'm not buying Mario World or Zelda for a fourth time from Nitendo

I tell myself the same thing. Sometimes I even beleive it.

Eventually it'll be there for a few euro and I end up buying it playing for a few hours and then back to square one.

No way will you get them for free if you had them on a Wii/WiiU/3DS. Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Mr E wrote: »
    No way will you get them for free if you had them on a Wii/WiiU/3DS. Not a chance.

There's a link between 3DS/Switch and your Nintendo Account now. You share funds and gold reward coins across both if you have them linked and at the very minimum, they need to make SNES games bought on the 3DS available for free on the Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

There's absolutely no reason why people couldn't transfer their VC games over. They shouldn't need to transferred over either. Doesn't Sony allow sharing and playing of games on Vita and PS4? Nintendo have all our details, our accounts are all linked. They know what people have bought. You see how logging onto the eShop every week gets you points on MyNintendo and it happens instantaneously. They allowed Wii games to be transferred to the Wii U. The only reason it might not happen is greed on Nintendo's part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

i wonder with the recent patent on the n64 controller now, maybe its not an n64 mini indicator, but n64 controllers like the nes VC that slide onto the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Inviere

sligeach wrote: »
    There's absolutely no reason why people couldn't transfer their VC games over. They shouldn't need to transferred over either. Doesn't Sony allow sharing and playing of games on Vita and PS4? Nintendo have all our details, our accounts are all linked. They know what people have bought. You see how logging onto the eShop every week gets you points on MyNintendo and it happens instantaneously. They allowed Wii games to be transferred to the Wii U. The only reason it might not happen is greed on Nintendo's part.

I don't think most would even mind paying a nominal fee that covers the porting costs, but full whack? Again? Nah.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

To be honest the support of cross purchases on the PS and Xbox is a bit patchy.
    It's often the case that a straight port with no enhancements is supported from one system to another, such as Burnout Paradise, but where it gets a remaster it tends to be a new purchase.
    My PS4 copy of Resident Evil 4 had to be bought, while I own it on the PS3 as well.
    I'm not saying this is a preferable state of affairs, but it is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's often the case that a straight port with no enhancements is supported from one system to another [...] but where it gets a remaster it tends to be a new purchase.

That seems fair enough; if extra work goes into a remaster a fee is justified (of course assuming that remaster actually brings a significant benefit and is not just called remaster for the sake of justifying the fee).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Inviere

That seems fair enough; if extra work goes into a remaster a fee is justified (of course assuming that remaster actually brings a significant benefit and is not just called remaster for the sake of justifying the fee).

Indeed. It begs the question, should previously owned content on the Wii/Wii U transfer over for a nominal fee, and if you want the new multiplayer features, that'll be extra? Not everyone who wants owns something like Super Mario World on the Wii U wants or is bothered with the online features

Advertisement