Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Online Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Fieldog wrote: »
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-09-14-nintendo-requires-weekly-online-check-in-to-play-nes-games

Weekly check in for NES game's, that's up there with Xbox One DRM IMO....

I think I'm running out of reasons to to own a Switch now, which is a pity as Zelda is still my favourite game I've probably ever played on a Nintendo machine

I don’t know ... for me at least it’s a non issue. I don’t see many scenarios whereby my switch would have no internet access for over a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Mr E wrote: »
    Why would they keep them?

The saves are still on your Switch anyway.

Want Cloud Saves? Pay the fee. :o

Seriously?

The fact that they are behind a paywall in the first place is archaic. Deleting them for not renewing the subscription is poor form and anti-consumer.

They are such a backwards company at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Seriously?

The fact that they are behind a paywall in the first place is archaic. Deleting them for not renewing the subscription is poor form and anti-consumer.

They are such a backwards company at times.

No cloud saves on PlayStation without paying either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

TitianGerm wrote: »
    No cloud saves on PlayStation without paying either.

And Sony doesn't delete them when your PS Plus subscription runs out, which is the point.

And Sony doesn't delete them when your PS Plus subscription runs out, which is the point.

I would add that besides appearing more friendly to customers at virtually no cost, keeping the data is also a good business strategy: it surely sometimes encourages customer to subscribe again in order to regain access to their data.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There always seems to be another "But what about" when it comes to Nintendo.

Yes, you'll pay to cloud save.
    No, it won't delete once you subscription runs out.
    Yes, periodic checking in online will be required to authorise the items on your device.

The smart app looks like sh1te though, in an age with Bluetooth headsets why on earth are we being forced to use such a bizarrely complex setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Inviere

No issues with any of it barring the smart app, utter honk.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

But but but SONY! :rolleyes: :o

Mr E wrote: »
    But but but SONY! :rolleyes: :o

Is that aimed at me?

No just in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Why does everything Nintendo do with online have to be needlessly fussy. Thankfully it's more than half the price of competitors as it'll be half the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

The online application was updated to not start if you're rooted too, which is beyond stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

While I agree that the Nintendo Online system is needlessly fussy and parts archaic, Sony only keeps cloud saves for 6 months. Any grace period with Nintendo seems to be unconfirmed for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Seems they're doing what Sony have done with Plus. Sony says they can't guarantee your plus games will still be there if you lapse and resubscribe. Same here where Nintendo say they can't guarantee it. Probably not a problem but have to cover themselves in case it happens

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I suppose it's only a thing if your Switch meets a sticky end after you forget to pay or something, otherwise it's no drama at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭nedd

What is the story with the family plan? If I have a switch with a couple of users set up do I need the family plan? Or only if we have separate switches?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

nedd wrote: »
    What is the story with the family plan? If I have a switch with a couple of users set up do I need the family plan? Or only if we have separate switches?
    Thanks

This is why you need to lock in your Nintendo account to your profiles.

Each profile requires the fee.

All the accounts on my Switch are registered to the one family, including my local one, my SA ident and my son.
    And so I will pay the family plan money and all should be well.
    I think.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I was reading this article:

https://www.usgamer.net/amp/nintendo-switch-online-problems-cloud-save-starting-screen

And they mentioned that you'd have to spend around $400 to earn enough gold points to cover the annual $20 Online subscription fee. Just thought it was interesting, and today's the day that Nintendo Switch Online starts. It's the end of an era in a way, free online gaming, though some(e.g. Fortnite) will still remain that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭nedd

I set up my family group last night. I ended up with my SA account as admin, my account and my sons account in the family.
    Looks like the annual family subscription is working out about €22 on the SA store.

Will this work? Are there side effects to having the SA account as admin? This is all new to me.

sligeach wrote: »

https://www.usgamer.net/amp/nintendo-switch-online-problems-cloud-save-starting-screen

And they mentioned that you'd have to spend around $400 to earn enough gold points to cover the annual $20 Online subscription fee. Just thought it was interesting, and today's the day that Nintendo Switch Online starts. It's the end of an era in a way, free online gaming, though some(e.g. Fortnite) will still remain that way.

But that's still the 5% you gotten since day one on purchases?

nedd wrote: »

Will this work? Are there side effects to having the SA account as admin? This is all new to me.

It’s new to everyone as the service is just being released :-) let us know how it goes.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    But that's still the 5% you gotten since day one on purchases?

In truth, if I hadn't been using the credit along the way, I'd probably have most of this saved up by now!
    And it's a good offer, even if you only accrue a tenner or so in credit, reducing the cost of the service.

That said, so many of my purchases are split between two regionally disparate accounts, I can't really use it!
    Still, at least it's there, and I would imagine an online bundle this Christmas including a card for three months online free is a cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

sligeach wrote: »

Are there ways to get the Playstation and Xbox online subscriptions for free? If not, I don't see a valid complaint.

I can't open the link (in work) but I did read somewhere else that it's something in the region of 7 full price Nintendo titles at double gold points to get the online service for free. Not a bad deal.

Any word yet on if the subscriptions stack like PS plus? So if an offer comes up for cheaper online within our sub, could we take advantage of it?

Too early to say I think. Stuff like that will come out of the woodwork when people get access and try it out.

I think the general consensus on the update is that it will be available after 8pm EST tonight (which is 1am in the morning for us)

I wonder if there will be any surprises? New UX features like colour schemes, folders etc? My gut says no....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Any word yet on if the subscriptions stack like PS plus? So if an offer comes up for cheaper online within our sub, could we take advantage of it?

I saw a FAQ on Reddit that said up to 3 years can be stacked.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    In truth, if I hadn't been using the credit along the way, I'd probably have most of this saved up by now!
    And it's a good offer, even if you only accrue a tenner or so in credit, reducing the cost of the service.

That said, so many of my purchases are split between two regionally disparate accounts, I can't really use it!
    Still, at least it's there, and I would imagine an online bundle this Christmas including a card for three months online free is a cert.

I just stick to the Irish region. Have a SA account but haven't used it since I bought Golf Story and probably won't use it again.

• Advertisement

Advertisement