Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling a flight?

Options
  • 08-05-2018 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

Am I able to cancel a flight and get my money back? Please help. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Depends on the airline, but generally, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Very unlikely. It depends on the type of ticket you bought, usually the most expensive allow cancellation changes etc. the cheaper the ticket the more restrictions.

You can claim the taxes back. But some companies charge near enough the cost of taxes for the refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭spoke2cun

So if you booked a €5000 flight to Australia by mistake, it's just tough ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

spoke2cun wrote: »

In that instance, you could possibly pay to change the name if you could find someone else to take it, and get some of your money back that way.

Does it really cost €5k to fly to Australia(?) Anyway, if I was spending that much money on plane tickets, I would be sure to double- and triple- check my dates.

5k to Australia was a worst case scenario. Can't believe there isn't some sort of consumer protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

5k to Australia was a worst case scenario. Can't believe there isn't some sort of consumer protection.

Travel insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

People don't normally book a 5K or even a 100 euro flight by mistake.

It can easily happen on touch screen devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

That priced flight will most likely have cancellation or other changes available. Its the €500 flight that won't allow changes and its not tough anything, you agreed to the lack of changes when you buy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Contact the vendor or airline. There is too many variables to anybody on here knowing the right answer.

Did you book it through a flight website or direct with an airline?

• Advertisement

It can easily happen on touch screen devices.

I can imagine so. Selecting the flights, entering passenger details, entering a payment method, confirming and hitting the buy button are all totally one touch actions.

I hear just thinking about the ryanair website books a flight nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Had to cancel a flight to China with Lufthansa a few years ago. The value was approx €600, I think it cost me €180 to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

MOD action SNIP

Recommending Insurance fraud is a breach of the Boards.ie terms of service. Please do not repeat this suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

In some cases you have a right to cancel within 24 hours

E.g flights in the US or to/from the US if booked far enough in advance

Otherwise options are per the ticket conditions which normally mean nothing except the taxes less an admin fee

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

usually unless you pick the most expensive fare there's rarely a cancel free of charge option.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Am I able to cancel a flight and get my money back? Please help. Thanks.

Who is the flight booked with? Agency or Airline?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Seems like you've chosen an extremely far fetched scenario, and then chosen to get offended by it.

When booking with airlines like Ryanair, their terms and conditions state that the flights are strictly non refundable. There is compassionate cancellations, eg if you are hospitalised, however most of the time they won't be.

Remember, the onus is on the consumer to read the terms and conditions, and become familiar with the legislation around aviation.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

If you bought the cheapest ticket, it usually comes with no flexibility - no changes and no cancellations, i.e. use it or lose it.

More expensive fares tend to have more flexibility and you are shown as you book what is included (how much baggage, change fee, if you have priority boarding, etc.).

Good advice GBX. And that's a cracker reati. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

If you bought a €5000 flight to Australia you'd be in Business Class most likely and yes, you could probably cancel and get your money back. If you book the most expensive economy fare this is also usually the case (about €1k return to Australia)

• Advertisement

Good advice GBX. And that's a cracker reati. ��

Having an ounce of common sense is good advice alright.

Advertisement