Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toddler Circumcision

• 08-05-2018 1:38pm

So my 3.5 year old is going for a circumcision soon (medical reasons). I have a couple of questions, if people have any experience with this:
    • I'm guessing/hoping it'll be a general anaesthetic?
    • Any idea of how long it will take? (Tallaght)
    • What can I do for him afterwards?

I guess the last question is one I'd like answered most; one of my main concerns being pain management for the poor chap. What can I do for that? Should I ask my GP for a suppository or something else?

Aside from that, I'm guessing just keep the site clean. So sponge/cotton wool bath with plain water, or maybe get him in the shower?

He's not yet toilet trained for wee (part of the "medical reason"), so still wears pull ups. I'm concerned that the urine may hurt him, or cause complications (infections, slow healing, etc.). My thought here are to either go up a couple of sizes on the pull ups (less pressure in that area), or just let him wear a loose pair of shorts and "deal with it".

So any tips are appreciated, even things I haven't thought of.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

I'd go with the looser shorts. My friend's son had it done around the same age and he found the newly exposed skin very sensitive to his underwear against it. Was during the summer so loose shorts or totally pantless worked well for them for the first few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

So my 3.5 year old is going for a circumcision soon (medical reasons). I have a couple of questions, if people have any experience with this:

I guess the last question is one I'd like answered most; one of my main concerns being pain management for the poor chap. What can I do for that? Should I ask my GP for a suppository or something else?

Aside from that, I'm guessing just keep the site clean. So sponge/cotton wool bath with plain water, or maybe get him in the shower?

He's not yet toilet trained for wee (part of the "medical reason"), so still wears pull ups. I'm concerned that the urine may hurt him, or cause complications (infections, slow healing, etc.). My thought here are to either go up a couple of sizes on the pull ups (less pressure in that area), or just let him wear a loose pair of shorts and "deal with it".

1 yes general anesthetic
    2 in and out same day for us in tallaght
    3 movies,rest and tlc

As far as i remember my lad didnt need much pain relief. He was about 6 when he got his done but wore no jocks n shorts until healed. But looser nappies seem like a good idea especially for the night. We bathed in plain water.
    Kids adapt so much. I remember my stomach turning if he tipped it off clothes etc n he was grand.
    Try not to worry too much he will do great x

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

1. Yes general
    2. Home the same day in cuh
    3. Lots of tlc

My little fella was 3 when he got it done ( for medical reasons) and the change in him afterwards was amazing. I kept the area as clean as I could and bathed him in plain water and he got on great

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

It will be general anaesthetic. You'll go down to the theatre with him. I'm not sure with a toddler whether they give the mask for the anaesthetic, or needle? But be prepared for the watching him drift off bit. I wasn't expecting to find that bit tough and no one warned me about It, so just thought I'd throw it in.

I think it was an hour and a half for the circumcision? I can't remember. I just stayed by the coffee shop until I got the phone call. Maybe bring some food for yourself and a magazine.

As far as I remember they gave him a suppository while he was under. Anyhow they tell you all about pain management. For us it was alternating between Nurofen and Calpol for a few days. Reducing through the week as he got more comfortable.

They will give you all the after care advice you need. I think we bathed him in a bath with a little bit of dettol in it 3 times a day.

As loose fitting clothes as you can put on him use. The pull ups may not be a bad idea. I remember we had to put Vaseline on the crotch of everything to stop fluff getting caught in the wound. So perhaps pull ups frequently changed aren't a bad idea? But they'll tell you all that before you leave. If they don't, ask them.

Peeing really hurt...our guy was 6 though. When he went to the toilet he would squeeze my hand and we would count together until he had finished.

The first few days might be easy enough keeping him from moving around too much as the anaesthetic wears off. But maybe get a few colouring books etc for the other days?

Best of luck!

That's all great advice people, so thanks very much for it!

I'm not worried about the procedure that much at all, it's fairly routine. Just want to make him as comfortable as possible afterwards.

He's going in tomorrow, so I'll update next week. Future reference for others and all that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement