Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB C - USB C Cable

Options
  • 08-05-2018 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭

I'm kinda shocked these aren't for sale in the Euro shops.
    Cheapest I could find was a €10 in a mobile phone shop.

Anywhere in Dublin you can buy these for around €1.50?

Don't want to order online if I can avoid it, rather just pick up this evening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

mrcheez wrote: »
    I'm kinda shocked these aren't for sale in the Euro shops.
    Cheapest I could find was a €10 in a mobile phone shop.

Anywhere in Dublin you can buy these for around €1.50?

Don't want to order online if I can avoid it, rather just pick up this evening.

Deals have them along with the usual 2 euro shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

whampiri wrote: »
    Deals have them along with the usual 2 euro shops.

Are you sure? I was in the Deals on Liffey Street and they only have micro-usb/Apple Lightning, not USB Type C

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

It's not a €1.50 cable but I've bought USB-c cables in Tiger recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

Are you sure? I was in the Deals on Liffey Street and they only have micro-usb/Apple Lightning, not USB Type C

Picked one up in the 2 euro shop on baggot St.

Cool, I'll check out Tiger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Cool, I'll check out Tiger

My Daughter bought one in Tiger recently.

Also I purchased a heavy duty pack of 3 on amazon lately (different lengths, one for car, office & home).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

whampiri wrote: »
    Picked one up in the 2 euro shop on baggot St.

Is it reversible? In other words, does it charge the phone no matter what way you plug it in?

I bought a cheapie recently and it would only charge when plugged in one way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 glinnwest

USB C can be tricky if not licenced, but you can get them in any petrol station

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's best get a proper one for your phone especially if it supports fast charging. Not a hope you'll get the correct one for your phone for €2.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭duffmagic

Don't go cheap:
    "[font=Georgia, "Times New Roman", serif]All USB Type-C (USB-C) Cables and Accessories are not created equal. Some will charge most efficiently, others might just fry your battery. Google Chromebook engineer and Caped Cable Crusader Benson Leung has been testing USB Type-C (USB-C) cables off Amazon, and it’s not just the no-brand products that have been failing. Benson’s campaign mostly consists of ordering USB Type-C (USB-C) cables off Amazon, testing them to see if they meet the minimum standards or if they’re just knock-offs, and then leaving [/font][font=Georgia, "Times New Roman", serif]Amazon reviews[/font][font=Georgia, "Times New Roman", serif]. Cables and chargers fail in all sorts of different ways, although incorrect resistors seem to be a common problem that Benson’s been finding."[/font]
    https://bensonapproved.com/

Also worth a look:
    https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-usb-c-cables/

• Advertisement

hmm... I've never had a problem with the cheap micro-usb or HDMI cables.

Maybe the bandwidth on Type C is higher and puts the cables under more stress?

It will be used with a Huawei phone... maybe better to go for one of the €10/15 ones from the phone shop so

The phone shop might not have the right one either, you need to check what your phone supports and the get a cable that does the same.
    I know my phone supports quick charge 4+ but haven't seen a charger in a shop to support it yet.
    I get about 60% in 30 minutes which is good for a full days usage as it's a 4000mah battery in the phone.

right, so what from the specs here do I look for on the cable box?

https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_p20_lite-9098.php

Just look for "Fast battery charging" ?

The charger needs to be 9v2a and the cable needs to support 2a or over I think. I'm not sure how much of a difference it'll make on that particular phone.

The charger needs to be 9v2a

I typically charge from my laptop, in fact I probably will only ever charge it this way, so I'm assuming USB 2 is fine... or perhaps USB 3?

currently using USB 2 as it's on the side I want to use, whereas the USB 3s are on the other side and a bit off the edge of the desk ;)

Tbh, I'll just order a set on Amazon and save the headaches of picking up a generic one from the Chinese phone shops

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Transfer-Charging-Samsung-MacBook-Supported/dp/B01C6KIT4K/

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

hmm... I've never had a problem with the cheap micro-usb or HDMI cables.

A bad x-USB or HDMI just doesnt work.

A bad USB-C blows your device up. USB-C with PD is a different animal. It can pump 100W into a device designed for 5W.

right, so what from the specs here do I look for on the cable box?

https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_p20_lite-9098.php

Just look for "Fast battery charging" ?

Specs are irrelevant. You need to test cables or buy ones that have been tested by other independent parties. Even good brands are producing dangerous cables.

Benson Leung maintains a list.
    https://plus.google.com/+BensonLeung

Grand.. I don't see the specific cable I linked to in his reviews, but judging by the general reviews the Aukey CB-CMD3 seem to be the way to go on Amazon

Advertisement