Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP!!! Sleep Training / Sleep Consultant

• 08-05-2018 3:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭

Has anyone tried a Sleep Consultant? My son is almost 1. He has always been a bad sleeper (waking numerous times during the night) but has lately gotten so much worse. His new thing now is waking from 2am to 5am. He isn't crying or uncomfortable - just wide awake ready for the day.
    Im at my wits end at this stage. Im going to work like a zombie and starting to feel depressed from the lack of sleep. It is also affecting me and my husband's relationship. We are just so frustrated and taking it out on each other.
    I have tried everything books and websites suggest - im wondering now about getting a Sleep Consultant as a last resort.

Does it actually work or it ''money for old rope'' kind of thing?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

LouD2016 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried a Sleep Consultant? My son is almost 1. He has always been a bad sleeper (waking numerous times during the night) but has lately gotten so much worse. His new thing now is waking from 2am to 5am. He isn't crying or uncomfortable - just wide awake ready for the day.
    Im at my wits end at this stage. Im going to work like a zombie and starting to feel depressed from the lack of sleep. It is also affecting me and my husband's relationship. We are just so frustrated and taking it out on each other.
    I have tried everything books and websites suggest - im wondering now about getting a Sleep Consultant as a last resort.

Does it actually work or it ''money for old rope'' kind of thing?!

Have you checked out Lucy Wolfs book/services? We swear by her approach and I know a few people who were having a horrid time that had her do a consultation and it changed their situation radically. Her system is so simple you feel a bit stupid that it was hard to come up with yourself (especially when you're sleep deprived), but the simple solutions are often the hardest to see without someone pointing you in the right direction. Good luck.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I would say get a sleep consultant alright.Sleep deprivation is horrible.Plenty of us could give you advice and the sleep consultant would probably tell you the same thing but I'd say if you having no success now, you are as well to have someone on hand to make you stick to the plan.There could be plenty of reasons he's waking but there's no reason for him to be awake like that and he needs the sleep as much as you do.The key is you and your husband having a consistent approach to his waking and helping him go back to sleep, and a sleep consultant will help you develop that and stick to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

ya go for it, sleep deprivation is a killer and it will take its toll.
    if you do go for it though be committed to it, if the sleep therapist suggests something that doesn't suit you and you decide that's not for you then you are wasting your time.

go into it with the attitude of we will do whatever she/he says and give it 100% commitment, for a decent length of time.

i had a relation who found themselves in a similar situation they got a sleep consultant but her advise didn't suit them it was too routine based, ''it didn't suit their parenting style''. the kid is 3 now and still up up 3-4- times a night, both parents have depression and have aged about 10 years in 3, at the end of the day they are idiots i'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

farmchoice wrote: »

i had a relation who found themselves in a similar situation they got a sleep consultant but her advise didn't suit them it was too routine based, ''it didn't suit their parenting style''. the kid is 3 now and still up up 3-4- times a night, both parents have depression and have aged about 10 years in 3, at the end of the day they are idiots i'm afraid.

Babies are individuals so parents are right to follow their instincts.

OP things change a lot around one year. You could try hanging in there until then. My 16 month old twins sleep pretty well now when not sick or teething and I did no sleep trining. There are still bad nights but more and more good nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Wexy86

I’ve used two! First said it was going to be a gentle approach, it wasn’t - recommended cry it out which isn’t my cup of tea, called it quits and got a full refund.

Couple of months later I tried another one(Mer Mers Sleep consulting) and she was brilliant. My now 20 month old who was 17 mo at the time, who never slept through the night and woke numerous times a night was sleeping through the night by night 6. I had a lot of bad habits such as rocking, feed to sleep, picking up and bringing into bed etc and we slowly broke each habit with little to no tears. would recommend, only regret is it doing it sooner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

Wexy86 wrote: »

I had a lot of bad habits such as rocking, feed to sleep, picking up and bringing into bed etc.

There’s nothing inherently ‘bad’ about these things as long as it suits. And it’s ok to stop them when baby is at that age too! I just don’t see feeding to sleep as s bad thing. It’s an awesome and easy way to get a young baby to sleep and people shouldn’t feel bad for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Wexy86

fits wrote: »
    There’s nothing inherently ‘bad’ about these things as long as it suits. And it’s ok to stop them when baby is at that age too! I just don’t see feeding to sleep as s bad thing. It’s an awesome and easy way to get a young baby to sleep and people shouldn’t feel bad for it.

It was bad from my perspective as she was waking 7/8 a night for a bottle and couldn’t sleep without one, even in the car or buggy a bottle was required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

No personal experience of a sleep consultant, but just wanted to post to say that I’ve been there and it’s a killer and you have my full sympathy! My wee man finally started sleeping through at 13 months of his own accord.

Advertisement