Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything I can't put in an ad to rent a room?

Options
  • 08-05-2018 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

Ok so I'm going to rent a room out in my house and I am looking for the following.

Firstly I'm Male, 30s, homeowner, professional, am away from the house a good bit myself.

Looking for Male, late 20s 30s or 40s in a professional job in Dublin looking for a room either Monday to Friday or shift work and with ties away from Dublin that they would go home for after working week or when 3/4 shifts are over.

I see lots of ads saying looking for male or female only in sharing.
    Is this Ok?
    I'm living here too and obviously I can just pick and choose who I want assuming there will be demand (There will be, I did this once before)

I know exactly what I want but just wondering is it ok to put in an ad all the above considering I would be pretty much looking for an Irish professional male and would be disregarding foreign people who would need 7 day accommodation and women, just because I'm in a relationship myself and don't want to live with another woman.

Is this all ok to put in an ad? (the criteria but not the reasons obviously). I just want to filter out those I don't want to live with as I expect a lot of calls based on last time I did this which was 5 years ago.

House will probably be sold within about 18 months anyway and don't want to run afoul of discrimination laws.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Don't write it in the ad.
    You'll be sued by someone.

The only part that is ok is to write about the 5 day rental.
    For example - You can't say "professional only" or "no HAP" etc. But you can say "Employer reference and 2 months deposit mandatory".

Then you can pick the most suitable candidate.

Buy a throwaway sim card, don't put your real number up there as you'll be getting calls for weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I do see it loads though, usually female only because it's a female house which is fair enough.
    Not trying to start any gender war though, just trying to have a harmonious living arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Why not a woman? Do you think you'll have an affair with her?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

+1 on the throwaway sim card. It could be the best advice you get here.

Think you know yourself that you can't put all those things in the advert, and are just looking for confirmation of it. Your best bet is just to root out all the obvious 'non runners' over the phone - women, foreign nationals, etc.

You can tell them something like 'there was a guy here looking last night who's 99% certain to take it, and he's to call me back later tonight - but if that falls through, I'll get back to you'.

Sometimes it's better to tell lies than tell the truth......!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Looking for Male, late 20s 30s or 40s in a professional job in Dublin looking for a room either Monday to Friday or shift work and with ties away from Dublin that they would go home for after working week or when 3/4 shifts are over.
    Sunday night to Friday, tbh. Don't mention about no foreigners, just ask where they'll be staying at the weekend, and ignore/blacklist the ones who say they'd like to stay in the house.

Consider using a pre-paid sim card for the interviews that you can throw away when you find someone, so you don't get rang about the room after it's let.

=-=

Also, can the OP write that they need the deposit and rent before the licencee moves in?

As said, always say that you have someone else to look at the room tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Wheety wrote: »
    Why not a woman? Do you think you'll have an affair with her?

Yes

Funny enough daft have the option for males only, females only or don't mind.

It does say I can't discriminate against HAP or social welfare though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

I think you can as you are renting a room in your own house and the Equal Status Acts does not apply to your own house.

https://www.ihrec.ie/your-rights/i-have-an-issue-with-a-service/i-have-an-issue-about-accommodation/

I suppose Daft might still not let you even if it is legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭corks finest

Yes the wife

Yes it actually seems it's a case of my house my rules and I can discriminate, although its a strong word here, and choose exactly who I want to give the room to.

Would a month deposit be fair here too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You can discriminate based on gender under specific circumstances, living with someone is one. Cant discriminate about HAP though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Yes it actually seems it's a case of my house my rules and I can discriminate, although its a strong word here, and choose exactly who I want to give the room to.

Would a month deposit be fair here too?

A months deposit is fine. Rather than fielding calls, get them to email and filter them that way.

There's certainly no problem asking for male only, this is even a built in function on daft. I always asked for males only when renting rooms.

I always asked for professional only also though it was before they brought in the silly rule but that being said renting a room is not commercial so not necessarily covered by the rule the same as a rental. Same goes for asking for Irish only, very difficult to sue someone privately renting a room in their home as you are simply inviting in a guest.

That being said it's probably best not to mention Irish only and just filter the candidates offline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

A months deposit is fine. Rather than fielding calls, get them to email and filter them that way.

A few months deposit is excessive for an owner occupier situation where the renter can be evicted in a moments notice and there is not the problem of unauthorised overstaying

+1 on the Irish only front. We had a lodger who was Polish and living in Mayo (IIRC) and working in Dublin. Irish only is going to put a lot of Irish people off, just advertise the room as Monday-Friday.

GingerLily wrote: »
    A few months deposit is excessive for an owner occupier situation where the renter can be evicted in a moments notice and there is not the problem of unauthorised overstaying

A Months

And it's reasonable notice...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

I would be pretty much looking for an Irish professional male and would be disregarding foreign people who would need 7 day accommodation and women, just because I'm in a relationship myself and don't want to live with another woman.
    What has sex got to do with who rents the room? Seems strange.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

If you had a jealous wife you'd understand.
    Once gave a co-worker a lift to work every day. She happened to be female.
    Cue massive row with the missus including shouting and throwing dishes.
    On the no foreigners,why not go "Germans only"?
    You'll get a reliable, clean and punctual roommate.

I would be pretty much looking for an Irish professional male and would be disregarding foreign people who would need 7 day accommodation and women, just because I'm in a relationship myself and don't want to live with another woman.

I think this is an attempt at a wind up but it's just personal preference. I think men would be easier to live with, the right men of course. Works hard in Dublin during the week to look after his family down the country.
    Had a guy in from Clare years ago went home every Friday and back up Monday mornings. Played hurling down there at the weekends. He stayed in my house Monday to Thursday nights, lovely quiet guy we were both into sports and on the odd time we were both there we had something to chat about.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 purplepatchit

I rent to Sun/Mon - Fri lodgers too and made mistake of writing "professionals only" in an ad a year or two ago. Daft came back very pleasantly to explain that this was discrimination which is fair. I don't mind what someone (student or worker or other) does with their days, I'm more concerned w rhythm of house and not having someone under my feet if I decide to wfh. Changed ad to "would suit someone who is out of house 9-5" and that helped filter. I also *only* use email to screen and arrange viewings as it feels more secure and for me is the most efficient. Ive also learned to not worry about politely replying to folks who say "can my partner share the room" or " can I bring my dog", because my ad clearly outlines offering - which doesn't include these. I only ask for 2 weeks deposit w lodgers which may be low but I do get a work and personal reference too. So far, so good! Best of luck to the OP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement