Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesland, Greystones

Options
  • 08-05-2018 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

Thinking of moving from an apt in Stillorgan to Charlesland, Greystones to have a bit of outside space. Its a very big development and there always seems to be a lot of properties for sale. Could anyone give me a steer on what it's like to live there? Also, what's the commute likely to be to Stillorgan each day, either by public transport or car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

chancer12 wrote: »
    Thinking of moving from an apt in Stillorgan to Charlesland, Greystones to have a bit of outside space. Its a very big development and there always seems to be a lot of properties for sale. Could anyone give me a steer on what it's like to live there? Also, what's the commute likely to be to Stillorgan each day, either by public transport or car.

There is a specific forum for greystones and charlesland where you might get more replies. Are you planning on renting or buying there?
    I used to live there and it is a very big development, yes lots of properties for sale but part of the reason is a lot of people who bought when new have families now and need to upgrade to a bigger family home and now the market has picked up people who were stuck in negative equity are finally able to sell and move on. The traffic is a killer in the mornings, depends what time you leave, I used to commute to sandyford and it took on average 45 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

I live there. Greystones is a fantastic place to live and Charlesland is pretty handy. You've got a supermarket and a couple of food places on your doorstep and the village is just a mile away. There's a gym and a sports complex with a running track and five-a-side pitches and tennis courts built as part of the development, but it's just up the road a couple of hundred metres and closer to the village you've another gym and pool, rugby club, tennis club, two golf clubs, driving range and all weather soccer pitches.

The common areas are fairly well maintained in each of the phases. Loads of kids in the area now that the estate has matured

In terms of the commute, the 84x stops there and runs in the morning and evening. Depending on the time of your commute it can take between 30 and 45 mins to get to Stillorgan. First X comes through Charlesland at around 6:40 and the last morning service at around 8:00. Drive time would be about the same, perhaps a little more later in the morning.

The 184 serves Bray from here also.

The nightlink terminates at Charlesland so you can fall asleep knowing that you'll get kicked off where you live! You've also got a stop for the Aircoach and there's a bus every hour 24hrs a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there's always properties for sale because it's a huge estate (albeit divided into smaller sections) and many of the properties are 2 bed starter homes so you get a lot of people trading up, particularly as there is a number of new 3/4 bed estates being built around the town currently.

In addition to the info provided by Eponymous, there is a primary school being built next to Charlesland with a secondary school due to open in a couple of years; and several creches in the estate. Access to the N11 is easy but the N11 itself is very busy in the mornings - 84X bus is definitely the best option if you work in Stillorgan. The commute may take a bit of getting used to if you currently live very close to your work.

The Greystones/Charlesland forum started as a long thread by people moving to Charlesland back in the 00s:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=625

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

Thanks everyone, that is really helpful. I'm due to retire in a couple of years so I thought Greystones would be a nice place to be. I'd also love to have a bit more outside space, hence the attraction of the 2-bed houses.

Think I'll drive out over the weekend and have a look, just to get a sense of the place. Properties seem to be slow enough to move but most of those listed seem to be in very good condition with nothing more than a paint job needed. Is the insulation ok or can you hear your neighbours running up and down stairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Thanks everyone, that is really helpful. I'm due to retire in a couple of years so I thought Greystones would be a nice place to be. I'd also love to have a bit more outside space, hence the attraction of the 2-bed houses.

Think I'll drive out over the weekend and have a look, just to get a sense of the place. Properties seem to be slow enough to move but most of those listed seem to be in very good condition with nothing more than a paint job needed. Is the insulation ok or can you hear your neighbours running up and down stairs?

I lived in Charlesland Grove and the sound insulation was fine despite them being timber-framed (C Grove and Park are timber; Wood and Court are block). Heat insulation is a different matter but it can be improved.

The village itself is very busy on weekends, particularly over the summer (blame the Happy Pear guys). It's quieter on weekdays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

I didn't realise there was a difference in construction in the development, that's really useful to know. Have to say I love the Happy Pear!

Advertisement