Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Partner

Options
  • 08-05-2018 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hey,
    How do I go about finding a cycling buddy so I don't have to go out solo all the time? I did a sportive last Saturday and realised how much I would love to have a buddy to cycle with. I am 20km either way of the two nearest towns with clubs and don't have a car so they are too far away so can't do it that way. Help is appreciated thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Club locator map

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/membership/clubs/club-locator-map

Where in the country are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭MadDog1999

Weepsie wrote: »
    Club locator map

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/membership/clubs/club-locator-map

Where in the country are you?

Castlegregory on the Dingle Peninsula, nearest clubs on that map are Dingle or Tralee

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

MadDog1999 wrote: »
    Castlegregory on the Dingle Peninsula, nearest clubs on that map are Dingle or Tralee

Worth contacting both anyway, there may be either someone else nearby with a car who can spin you in and out on occasion or you could spin in to meet up point and if the cycle route happens to go nearby you on the way back in you can drop off early and head home before they end their cycle. You don't have to do the whole spin with them just because you started with them.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,660 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

MadDog1999 wrote:
    Hey, How do I go about finding a cycling buddy so I don't have to go out solo all the time? I did a sportive last Saturday and realised how much I would love to have a buddy to cycle with. I am 20km either way of the two nearest towns with clubs and don't have a car so they are too far away so can't do it that way. Help is appreciated thanks

Any work colleagues who might be interested?

You'd be surprised how many might be in the same boat as you.

Start by asking anyone who recently bought a bike through the bike cup work scheme. That's your in to start the conversation.

Thanks guys, in school currently so don't work. I know for a fact there is a few nearby who cycle but don't know how to get in contact with them. Ya was considering cycling toeet up points but both 20+km away and none come my way only once yearly 😪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

20kms is not that far particularly if one of the clubs uses roads local to you for their spins and you could meet up with them or not go all the way back at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,660 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

C3PO wrote:
    20kms is not that far particularly if one of the clubs uses roads local to you for their spins and you could meet up with them or not go all the way back at the end.

To be fair, 20km each direction as an 18 or 19 year old wouldn't leave much room for cycling with the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

I don't use this function, but Strava heat maps?

Work out who cycles near you and follow and message?

To be fair, 20km each direction as an 18 or 19 year old wouldn't leave much room for cycling with the club.

It's not that far true but you're right when added to a group ride its quite far. Did a 120km sportive Saturday enjoyed it and finished it but at least had a lift to that😂

Advertisement