Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tomas O Se says Leinster Football is a Joke

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Peatys wrote: »
    It has one or two strong teams, same as the other 4 provinces. Yes Leinster is a joke compared to what Leinster used to be, but compared to the other 3 provinces, it's a very similar situation.

In fairness to Thomas O Shea, if he singles out Leinster with a high percentage of the population, he's going to get more clicks.. and that's the name of the game.

The problem I have with Tomas is the Munster championship has not being very competitive for ever really. And even the current Munster championship is historically uncompetitive. Clare and Tipp hav made great progress. But they have made great progress in the league and in the championship outside Munster. Tipp reaching a semi final. But in Munster leaving Tipps victory v Cork to one side. So far Tipp and Clarehave made little impact , have offered no real challenge to Kerry. Kerry have won games v Tipp and Clare handily enough. Maybe that will change soon, but in the last few years Clare and Tipp have not put up a big massive performance challenge to Kerry, havent been a massive threat.

Also Cork are at their lowest in decades. Cork have never been out of the top 5 or 6 teams in the country in 50 years or more. In the 70s and early 80s Cork were always in the top 3 or 4 teams in the country. In the late 80s and early 90s Cork were in the top 2. In the rest of the 90s Cork were in the top 6 teams in the country. In 00s every year Cork were in the top 4 or 5 teams in country. In the last 4 or 5 years that has changed. Cork for the first time in generations are outside the top 5 or 6. Cork are not even in the top 10 currently. Cork are just about in the top 15. Never before have Cork in the last 50 or 60 years being outside the top 10 teams in the country. Not since the 50s have Cork been beaten by Tipp, Cork have been in div 2 and not competitive v kerry. While Kerry won most of the battles in 70s 80s 90s and 00s v Cork.Most people gave Cork a chance when they played Kerry. No one gave Cork chance to beat kerry in last 3 years. And no one gives Cork a chance in beating kerry this year. So in many ways the current Munster championship is historically low because Cork are at their lowest since the 50s and Tipp and Clare have yet to manage a serious massiive challenge on the kingdom. So the kingdom have won allot of Munster tiltes. But its in a very uncompetitive time with unsually uncompetitvie Cork in Munster football. Compared to the challenge Cork presented in the 00s 90s and 80s to kerry. Anyway thats my last word on the matter.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

Any chance Ó Sé could maybe say something positive about GAA at the start of the Championship instead of the usual RTE style running it down and endless negativity. Is he auditioning for the new Spillane role. It's all a bit boring and stale all the moaning but maybe it's just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Nice bit of strawman work there.

I never commented about moving the Leinster final. I never referred to any talk about moving the Leinster final.

Great that you can win an argument that doesnt exist. It will no doubt impress your buddy.
    I didn't build the strawman. Someone else suggested moving the final. I assume by this comment you agree it was a silly suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Stoner wrote: »

Saying that Meath were the best Leinster team in the 1980's is untrue. Largly speaking meath missed half of the decade. Realistically they matched Offaly and had less wins than Dublin overall.

They were nowhere in the early part of that decade; as I know only too well having been a kid in Meath at the time.

The performance upped from the time Boylan was appointed and took Dublin very close in 1983, and got to a Leinster final in 1984.

The first sign I can remember that there was something big happening was when they won the Centenary Cup in 1984. They had been very close to Dublin the previous year, but nonetheless were still knocked out in the first round of the Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Five Leinster vs Ulster match ups in the qualifiers; will give a better idea of how strong or weak Leinster is in a national context.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭snowgal

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Clearly Dublin are far ahead of everyone else but Kildare are building a nice team and should be competitive in a few years, meath are decent and would probably give any team outside Dublin/Kerry or Tyrone a game in the qualifiers.

There are simple solutions to making the Leinster more interesting. One is obviously that no match outside the final should be in croke park and even the Leinster final should probably be rotated between croke park, Thurles, pairc ui chaoimh, clones and/or castlebar every 4 years.

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Cork typically lose when they do get out of Munster too. 7 wins and 16 losses in AI finals, pretty grim stat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Wexford were well beaten at home by Waterford.
    What should we conclude from this ?

Advertisement