Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBT Query

Options
  • 08-05-2018 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Just a quick query regarding the IBT. I've searched online for an answer but no joy. I completed modules 1-4 of my IBT in 2012. I haven't rode a bike since and now I'm looking to get one and I see they've added an extra module. I have a Learner Permit Cat. A.

Do i need to do this 5th module or can I sit my test with my 4 modules (there was only 4 at the time)?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

johnml wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Just a quick query regarding the IBT. I've searched online for an answer but no joy. I completed modules 1-4 of my IBT in 2012. I haven't rode a bike since and now I'm looking to get one and I see they've added an extra module. I have a Learner Permit Cat. A.

Do i need to do this 5th module or can I sit my test with my 4 modules (there was only 4 at the time)?

Thanks in advance.

You'll need to do the 5th before the A test. Also, this module is for the unrestricted A so you haven't completed the necessary modules to ride an unrestricted A bike at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Did your learner permit expire for 5 or more years? If you're a full start-over, then your previous IBT is invalid today.

As above, the rules have changed extensively since you last rode (Jan 2013).

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭johnml

No I renewed my learner permit before the 5 years, so it's current. I assume I'm good to ride a restricted bike as of now and unrestricted when I complete module 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

johnml wrote: »
    No I renewed my learner permit before the 5 years, so it's current. I assume I'm good to ride a restricted bike as of now and unrestricted when I complete module 5?

IBT certs issued before 19/01/2013 do not expire so you are ok to ride restricted bikes, category A2.

You would have to do IBT module 5 for category A to ride unrestricted bikes & you will then get a new IBT cert that will be valid for two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭johnml

Thank you for that Roadcraft.

• Advertisement
Advertisement