Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

root depths

Options
  • 08-05-2018 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Could anyone point me in the direction of where I could find information relating to root depths of various shrubs/trees. I want to plant some large shrubs and small trees in the area over my percolation area. Now I know this is not generally recommended but I hope in my case it might be ok. Depths of percolation pipes can vary a lot, and in my case they are a minimum of 1m below the ground.

Any information, or link to a source of information relating to root depth would be much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

My advice is don't. I've dug up land drains 2 m down that were jammed packed with roots.

You'll find some trees/shrubs are far worse than others but bear in mind that you had to dig the soil out to put the drains in and the plant roots will find every last gap that was left when you back filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Lumen wrote: »

There are a few worse shrubs. Magnolia and Bamboo come to mind, both seem to have a way of sniffing out water or gaps in drains. A percolation pipe being full of holes and many bamboos will happily take on geotextiles and win.

The worst trees I've had in deep drains 2m down and well away from the crown of the tree were Tulip tree and Swamp cypress but no prizes for guessing the last one would be problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This is in no way a recommendation, but I have big trees (birch, fir) and 2-3m shrubs all around my 30 year old percolation area and it's absolutely fine. But maybe new systems are fussier.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

Thanks for the replies.

I have no intention of planting willow or bamboo or any of the obvious ones that can cause problems. It's the not so obvious ones I want to check out. For example the table referenced in Lumen's link shows that apples trees can have very deep roots. I would never have though that!

But I won't be using any of the trees from that table anyway, there mostly too big.

I'm thinking hollies, which I remember reading somewhere has a very shallow root system.

I also like mountain ash, snowy mespelis, paul's scarlet hawthorn. Anyone know anything about the roots of these?

And shrubs like pieris, viburnums, camelias, bottle brush, Japanese acers, contoneasters, pittosporum, bay laurel, dogwood. Do any of these have deep, invasive roots?

• Advertisement
Advertisement