Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astelia Damage

Options
  • 08-05-2018 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

I have a couple of Astelia "Silver Spear" plants in large pots. I have had them for approximately 4 years, they have been very happy and have multiplied.

This afternoon I noticed that some of the leaves were lying on the ground. On closer inspection, the "hearts" of several of the plants, have been damaged and came away as soon as I touched them. I attach photos and would be grateful if anyone could tell me what might have caused the problem and whether I can stop it deteriorating. I would really hate to lose them and they would be expensive to replace.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Did they become waterlogged in the pots at any stage? Or covered in snow for a long period of time? The damage seems more like rot than any infection. They are usually very tough and resilient but if they were snowed under, frozen, thawed, frozen and then snowed again it could cause damage like that. If you have any piece of healthy root it will recover but remove any damaged leaves etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you want one, i've one free to collect, dublin 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Scribbler100

I'm so sorry for the long delay in responding to replies! I hadn't seen any responses for a day or two after my original post, so I thought (as sometimes happens) that nobody had anything to add on the topic. Then I was away for several days and I never thought to check back for replies.

Lottpaul, I think you may have answered my query. The pots did get snowed in, thawed and then snowed in again. What remains in the heart of each plant has continued to deteriorate and it looks like rot has set in. The outer leaves still look OK but the growing centre of each plant has been badly affected. I am not sure if they can be saved. Would there be any point in digging them up, trying to cut away any rot and seeing if any healthy roots might regrow? I guess there's nothing to lose by trying that with one pot?

Magicbastarder, many thanks for your generous offer! I would be very grateful for another astelia! I will PM you (if it is not too late) and perhaps I will be able to start anew.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Scribbler100

Very many thanks to Magicbastarder for the replacement astelia. I am delighted to be able to start again, having had to watch sadly as my old ones deteriorated. I will take great care with the new one, particularly if snow is forecast. Your generosity is much appreciated!

Advertisement