Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprenticeships: Carpenter or electrician?

Options
  • 08-05-2018 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all

My son is currently sitting his leaving very and is hoping to do an apprenticeship when he’s finished. He is struggling to decide between carpentry and electrical. I was hoping to get some info here to help him decide:

Is there more demand for either trade over the other?

Is there a difference in the rate of pay?

Which career is more secure if the building trade goes bust again? (Touch wood that doesn’t happen!)

Also, when looking for an employer to take in an apprentice where is the best place to look? Fas used to advertise positions but don’t know where to look now. We have been looking in the local papers but positions aren’t very frequent. Is it just a matter of calling individual tradesmen and asking if they will take him on?

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I would say electrician is more recession proof.
    Once he had his qualifications he could branch into instrumentation or automation with a bit of extra study.
    He could also work towards industrial engineering degree.
    I don’t think he would have those options with carpentry, someone else might advise.
    Also electricians often get factory work such as debug, calibration, test tech work which may interest him and could lead him towards one of the options I mentioned earlier.
    That been said if he loves carpentry.....

I know quite a few in both trades... I would have to say the carpenters work is much more physical(on sites anyway)... roofing shuttering etc... wouldn’t like to be at that game into my 60’s.

Advertisement