Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I be a primary teacher??

Options
  • 08-05-2018 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, I'm a leaving cert student and have a short time to decide on what I want to study at third level. Basically, I'm deciding between studying to become a primary school teacher or to study business/commerce.
    With teaching, I love kids and think I’d be really good at it. With the economy the way it is though I’m not sure I should be a teacher. I'm scared that I won’t make enough money to make a good living. My mam is a teacher and says that I really have to take that into consideration, as a lot more money is to be made in business world.
    But on the other hand, personally I think I'd much rather do a job I love for less pay.
    So whats the lifestyle like on a teachers salary? Do any current teachers have any advice for me as I decide on what I should do?
    Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

"Loving kids" is only the start of it, do you have experience of working with children in a role like coaching, where you'd have to "teach" them something?
    At present, the newer entrants are on a lower pay scale and many can't make ends meet, hence the mass exodus overseas. Teaching here is changing, it's becoming like the English system, where it's all about paperwork and ticking boxes, rather than the freedom to cover the curriculum in a way that suits the individual class and indeed child. I have advised family members not to go into primary teaching anymore as a result. The biggest joy in teaching for me is to be able to deal with the child in front of me as they actually are, rather than what some faceless paperwork pusher says they should be. Nothing beats helping a child to "get" something, but the DES seem to want to crush teacher autonomy at every turn and add to the ever-increasing paperwork load.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

I've a pal who is a Principal with a daughter a Pharmacist.

Daughter has worked out that whilst she is earning more PA than parent, she is actually earning less PH.

Teacher is 9-5 Mon- Fri with defined holidays and all Bank/Public Holidays off. Pharmacist is 8am- Midnight (shift) 7 days a week including Bank/Public Holidays.

Weight up everything, money,personal sanity, lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭DubCount

Nothing is perfect. Everyone has to compromise. You just have to work out what is important to you. The teaching route is likely to lead to less money but better job security and longer holidays etc.. The business route may end up with better pay, but long hours and less rewarding work. There isn't a right answer - just a route where you pick what is important to you, and are prepared for the compromises.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Don’t do it! You’ll find it very difficult to get a job.

How do I know this? I’ve dated too many teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cowboyjoe

Do it, worse that could happen is after a few years teaching you might change career or you transfer to a different college course. Lots of negativity on this forum I notice towards potential teachers. I am a primary teacher who in another life worked 9-5 and studied Business. We get paid well (a fair wage) so don't think we earn nothing! I love teaching, and so do most of my fellow colleagues and teaching friends. Primary teaching training is not easy, but it is a very rewarding job once it's all over!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I don't recommend teaching at all. I love the job and used to think like you that I would be happier to do a job I love for less pay. Having changed careers and given teaching 12 years I think money is far more important and a job I don't mind that allows me buy a house is much better than a job I love for less money.

I think you'd be much better off doing business and you can always do the PME after if you still want to. You'll have more options than if you go straight into teaching. I used to regret not going straight into teaching but I'm so glad I didn't now. I'm going back to my previous job.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Maybe do a degree in something that interest you and then in the future a post grad in teaching?
    The pay for new teachers doesn't look too bad but it doesn't grow very fast,there are a shortage of full time positions and many graduates are stuck with just subbing work.
    If it is a dream do follow it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Bruisedego

Teacher friends say there's a huge shortage so I don't think you'll have any problems finding a job. Could you go to a school for a week for work experience to see if you still really want to do It?
    There's a lot to be said for being happy in your work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Don't go into teaching if you think it's 9-5. You'll be in for quite a shock.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone I cared about. Not the way it is today (no proper jobs etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

I don't recommend teaching at all. I love the job and used to think like you that I would be happier to do a job I love for less pay. Having changed careers and given teaching 12 years I think money is far more important and a job I don't mind that allows me buy a house is much better than a job I love for less money.

I think you'd be much better off doing business and you can always do the PME after if you still want to. You'll have more options than if you go straight into teaching. I used to regret not going straight into teaching but I'm so glad I didn't now. I'm going back to my previous job.

I agree with a lot of this. I qualified as primary teacher when i was 20 and there is nothing else i can do. I am qualfied for nothing else and the only realistic promotion for me is either principal, PDST advisor or inspector for Dept of Ed. No thank you to all of those.
    There was no Hibernia when i was in college so it was either do teaching after your Leaving or it probably wouldn't happen.
    Don't get me wrong i love my job but i would like to have more options and not feel so "institutionalised". Technically i won't be able to retire until 65. That would mean 45 years in the same job! Gives me a shiver down my spine when i think about it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

There's a shortage of subs, not for permanent posts. The reason there aren't subs is that many have found it doesn't pay and that they can get better pay elsewhere or that the reality of what teaching is rapidly becoming means that the quality of job satisfaction is reducing day in, day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

ravima wrote: »
    I've a pal who is a Principal with a daughter a Pharmacist.

Daughter has worked out that whilst she is earning more PA than parent, she is actually earning less PH.

Teacher is 9-5 Mon- Fri with defined holidays and all Bank/Public Holidays off. Pharmacist is 8am- Midnight (shift) 7 days a week including Bank/Public Holidays.

Weight up everything, money,personal sanity, lifestyle.

That's utter tosh.

1. Both will have defined holidays.
    Pharmacists that are working bank holidays will be getting extra payments to compensate or time off in lieu.
    They get an absolute minimum 20 days paid holidays as well as 9 Bank holiday.
    Pharmacists do not have to work 0800-0000 - for a start its against the EU working time directive.
    the majority of pharmicists in Ireland will work Mon-Fri 9-6 and occasional or rosters Saturdays with a day off during the week and depending on location - some will also work Sundays occasionally.

Most primary school teachers work mon--fri 9-3 for "class time" . Any decent teacher is doing an extra 5-10 hours preparation/correction etc.

Any primary school principal worth their salt is putting in an extra 15-20 hours weekly on meetings/ planning etc. They also will be present to supervise any building work during holidays as well as interviews etc. .

OP - It depends where you live really - If your in Dublin then you'll struggle financially but after 5 years teaching you'll be on over €40k which is well over the industrial average + getting a state permanent job or "CID" is relatively easy.

Teachers are graduates though, so could expect more than an average industrial wage and seek something commensurate with their level of qualifications. Under the new SEN model, posts will be lost in the next review, so you will have lots of experienced teachers going on panels too, another thing to consider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

Do. You cannot be fired unless you are a murderer!! It's public sector and the pension, sick pay and terms and conditions compared to private sector are way better. 9 until 2.50 with twenty minutes break in the morning and 45 minutes at "big" lunch. I was married to a primary teacher.

Mod Hat: Minister, please don't post inaccuracies here.

Minister wrote: »
    Do. You cannot be fired unless you are a murderer!! It's public sector and the pension, sick pay and terms and conditions compared to private sector are way better. 9 until 2.50 with twenty minutes break in the morning and 45 minutes at "big" lunch. I was married to a primary teacher.
    Yes you can indeed lose your job. Teaching extends far beyond the hours

in the classroom.Croke Park agreement means an extra unpaid hour a week, but you have to do prep/corrections/schemes/most meetings/ most extra curricular on your own time. Irish teachers do far more unpaid non contact hours than their international counterparts.

Morning break is 15 minutes at most, lunchtime is 30, but you will have to do yard duty and will also be on call at any part of your breaks if one of your pupils gets injured or is ill/upset.

Advertisement