Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paramedic - training

• 08-05-2018 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I am looking into becoming a paramedic, just wondering would any paramedics have any info please?
    I am over 40 I am in good fitness shape, but I do have a dodgy knee!- so I am wondering about the fitness/medical test?

I did not do my leaving cert so I would have to do 6 subjects, which I was planning on doing anyway.

I have a C1 licence so one thing is ok!

My question is Are there any trainees over 40 training? Would I be accepted? and Is the fitness test really strict?

Thank you for any info you can give me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Plenty over 40 starting should not be a problem think was 3-4 in my class alone

You will need to sort the leaving cert you obviously know that

There is no fitness test as such it’s just a normal enough medical you would get for any job the only thing iv heard of sometimes is if your BMI goes over a certain level you are made do something called a step test couple of my class had to but they said it was easy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 4 germanshep

Perfect , Thank you so much.
    I am going to concentrate on the LC and take it from there.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

If you haven't already, join a local voluntary ambulance service like Civil Defence, Order of Malta, St. John's or The Red Cross. The absolute best way to rack up experiences needed for competence interviews.

Thank you, I never thought of that.

Hi, My bad knee problem has turned into a 'need a total knee replacement' in the next couple of months.
    Would this rule me out of training to become a paramedic? Afraid to ring the NAS to check.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 DeltaDelta

Pop along to your nearest ambulance base and see if you can have a chat with some of the paramedics if they are available. They will be able to give some insight into what the job is like.

Advertisement