Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are we Irish so reluctant to support other Irish Youtubers?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ongarite wrote: »
    Like Wibbs I’m a big fan of AvE.
    Keep your dick in a vice!. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,216 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I follow mainly gaming, comics and a few historical channels like the great war.

There's a few youtube news channels like vice as well but none of the actual news channels like RTE or CNN.

RT and DW have made some good documentaries and I find myself binging on them every so often but there's no way I'm going to watch an Irish lad suck up to right wingers and moan about in a pseudo intellectual manner about left wing politics. I spent 15 minutes watching him last night and I think he's both an idiot and deluded.

And I nearly forgot. Fail vids and russian dashcam footage :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Grayson wrote: »
    I follow mainly gaming, comics and a few historical channels like the great war.

There's a few youtube news channels like vice as well but none of the actual news channels like RTE or CNN.

RT and DW have made some good documentaries and I find myself binging on them every so often but there's no way I'm going to watch an Irish lad suck up to right wingers and moan about in a pseudo intellectual manner about left wing politics. I spent 15 minutes watching him last night and I think he's both an idiot and deluded.

And I nearly forgot. Fail vids and russian dashcam footage :)

The Great War is fantastic. I could listen to Indy all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

His content is just crap.

There are plenty of good quality Irish channels and Irish people on YouTube, one of them has over 18 million subscribers -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacksepticeye
    Hmmmm...one eyed jack links to jacksepticeye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭EdEd

I watch Linus Tech Tips. That's about the only one I get notifications for. Otherwise I am watching people getting hurt in hilarious ways on the likes of Failarmy and kittens doing cute kitten things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Edz87 wrote: »
    I subscribe to Real Engineering, its one of my favorite channels. Its tremendous.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR1IuLEqb6UEA_zQ81kwXfg

Was about to link the same thing. This Galway lad is great. I back him on patreon to actually support financially (and because I have ad-block) https://www.patreon.com/realengineering

Foil arms and hog are also pretty good.

I'd follow mostly fitness & nutrition, highly recommended is recently site banned boards member James Hanley.

Why'd Hanley get a site ban?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Oh and the Epic News lads.

Ahh jaysus I miss them. They haven't put out anything in a while I don't think. Their Tallafornia swipe/St Patrick's Day swipe was gold imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

When I think of people 'following youtubers', I just think of my kids watching Dan TDM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

99% of all professional youtubers are shyte.

Therefore, as an extrapolation, they won't get a subscription

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,258 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I hate the fact that a "youtuber" is an actual thing....

Thought youtube was the medium for sharing light-your-own-fart videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ahh jaysus I miss them. They haven't put out anything in a while I don't think. Their Tallafornia swipe/St Patrick's Day swipe was gold imo

Fairly sure they're the lads behind the Paddy Power Fan Denial stuff, some of which is gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Here's a Computing Forever video about a shoe ad. While I agree the ad is ridiculous I can't understand why an Irish man is enraged enough about a Danish advertisement about womens shoes to make a 13 minute video about it.

The original ad is a little over a minute and a half long.

You know, I'd give women more than equal pay just to annoy that lad. Christ, that guy is insufferable. Anyone that uses the term 'cultural marxism' is almost always a tool.

Here's a Computing Forever video about a shoe ad. While I agree the ad is ridiculous I can't understand why an Irish man is enraged enough about a Danish advertisement about womens shoes to make a 13 minute video about it.

The original ad is a little over a minute and a half long.

Of all the irish youtubers to suggest we support you pick this clown? He insists on shoe horning politics into everything. He's massively anti-SJW to a ridiculous degree. He's obsessed with the colour of everyone's skin. He lost the plot when the main female character in the new star trek series was named "Michael". He's stirring the pot but just on the other side. Ugh just listen to his voice. Was gonna post some of his videos but I frankly want him to go away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Of all the irish youtubers to suggest we support you pick this clown? He insists on shoe horning politics into everything. He's massively anti-SJW to a ridiculous degree. He's obsessed with the colour of everyone's skin. He lost the plot when the main female character in the new star trek series was named "Michael". He's stirring the pot but just on the other side. Ugh just listen to his voice. Was gonna post some of his videos but I frankly want him to go away.

He looks like a generic "Look at me, I'm so politically incorrect and I love triggering SJW's" type. No thanks.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

CONTENT

CONTENT

CONTENT

CONTENT

CONTENT

CONTENT

They're called videos for fuccck sake.

Argh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

If I find an Irish youtuber has videos I'm interested I will watch them like Sminky Shorts but for the most part I listen to Dan Carlin or watch Royal Jordanian filter with envy.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭anitaca

its cos they are all GAA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

He also just gained about a dozen boards subscribers on the back of your post. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Wibbs wrote: »
    There's an Irish guy who sticks Tesla engines in older luxury Beemers that's interesting.
    Any chance of a link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What's the name of the gay Irish guy who makes for vids for rebel media?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

the_syco wrote: »
    Any chance of a link?

Your wish is my command TS. Clicky here. T'is tres cool home garage stuff.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

I don't think we are TBH. I think anyone who sh1ts on them probably falls into the jealousy camp, considering that these are people making a living and being successful from doing something they enjoy.

ameirecan wrote: »
    My mates enjoy all the content from Youtube heavyweights like Casey Neistat and Reviewbrah. They even watch the daily news uploads by Philip DeFranco and are therefore well versed in American current affairs but have no time for Irish discussion channels like ComputingForever run by Dave Cullen. Even then, most of Dave's subscribers are from outside Ireland. I hate to use the word but is it a case of classic Irish begrudgery or is their content just crap?

I like Dave Cullen. I think he speaks alot of common sense about the world which is increasingly becoming more and more insanely PC and Communist like. We are being encouraged to celebrate everything from obesity and mediocrity, to gender quotas. Goal posts continously being moved by a hoard of empty spoilt entitled individuals who make demand after demand without any rationality or consistency.

Alot of people dont like to hear this kind of thing because they are fully paid up members to the world Orwelian described in 1984 where independent thought is killed stone dead and minority groups continue with this victim complex that is serving only to continue to cause worldwide division and segregation.

Ill continue to watch Dave anyway because its certainly far better than any of the self serving bias shíte peddled by the leftist mainstream media.

Alot of people dont like to hear this kind of thing because they are fully paid up members to the world Orwelian described in 1984 where independent thought is killed stone dead and minority groups continue with this victim complex that is serving only to continue to cause worldwide division and segregation.
    Respectfully TG, I'd both agree and disagree with what you said. Specifically I'd disagree with the first part of your sentence and agree with the second. Though I beg your leave in the explanation as earlier I was "dragged" kicking and screaming running and smiling to the pub.

The plain fact TS is that "Independent thought" is all over the bloody place. On Youtube alone, among all the unboxing selfie sluts gurning for their cams for our clicks you'll find right, left, whatever you're having yourself thought all over the place, just search click and agree and subscribe. If society, rather the follow the ringing tills types were out to kill independent thought you wouldn't. All you'd get would be one side. This is historically consistent with regimes. Orwell's 1984's denizens would know no different and they wouldn't be able to say what you said because they would be blocked from any dissension to the correct view. It simply wouldn't, couldn't exist. Pick any regime in history and you'll find only a very tiny minority, usually with equally minority and lucky access to external information asked questions. And they asked them privately. If [insert your fave opinion setter here] says X, then you will easily find a rebuttal in short order.

To your second part; minority groups continue with this victim complex that is serving only to continue to cause worldwide division and segregation, I wholeheartedly agree. What IMHO we're seeing is not "censorship" of one view or another, but a largely free for all of all opinions. And echo chambers. And divisions. And as you say segregation.

The old saw of divide and conquer fits pretty well. Though I'm no tinfoil hattist, I would suggest that if any loose group in a position of power wanted to keep a society under a semblance of control and make coin on the back of it; then 1) give all of them the notion of self governance, 2) give all of them the notion that they might be "victims", 3) give all of them the notion that there is an "oppressor" 4) Give all of them the notion of a voice to express all that 5) Sit back and watch the tills ring. As we speak there are wars and takeovers and economics that will ultimately affect us all to one degree or other. Fruitlessly arguing on Twatter/ArseBook over whether transgender folks leave the toilet seat up or down is one helluva distraction from all that.

Plus whether you click and view this Cullen lad or go watch his polar opposite Youtube/Google are getting your profile and revenue from it. Win win for them, no matter what you believe or watch, so long as you believe and watch. Make no mistake, Google/Youtube would put up vids of naked whores bullfighting with lasers. And mud. If they thought they'd get away with it and it got clicks and revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

anitaca wrote: »
    its cos they are all GAA

Jaysus that was beyond ****e....back of Ashbourne Community Centre looked well though !!!

I like Dave Cullen. I think he speaks alot of common sense about the world which is increasingly becoming more and more insanely PC and Communist like.

We live in a full on capitalistic society. Where's the communism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

We live in a full on capitalistic society. Where's the communism?

No we don't. There has never been a "full on capitalistic society". Thank Christ.

He looks like a generic "Look at me, I'm so politically incorrect and I love triggering SJW's" type. No thanks.

Ian O'Doherty in ginger nerd form.

• Advertisement

No we don't. There has never been a "full on capitalistic society". Thank Christ.

Fair enough. I'm still not seeing the communism these lads see everywhere.

It must be the gleam off my Orwellian Worldview Subscriber Card that's distracting me…

Advertisement