Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Cork City Council change place names that could offend the new Irish?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

As long as they leave ****** Hill alone I don't care

Is that the steep hill where commuters are always rear-ending one another?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I am actually very right wing. It is an anomaly in this country that nationalism is associated with the far left, like the Sinners for example. In other countries, it is the right that tends to be nationalist.

Visiting fascists must find that reality very offensive when they come here. We should change our ways

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭cbreeze

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ boringgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

italodisco wrote: »
    Okay, but come on now, be honest, this thread was just don't for a laugh right?

Please say it's so
    Do you want me to lie to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

There are a number of youth hostels on Wellington Road and French tourists sometimes stay there. In order to be diplomatic to our fellow EU citizens, should Cork City Council change the name of Wellington road to something that is more patriotic to the Irish and less offensive to the French? Similarly, surely it is time to find a more diplomatic name for Trafalgar hill, in case a French person sees it.

Irish heroes are less likely to cause offense as Ireland was never a country of international warmongering. If for some reason, our city Councillors do not want to make such changes, then how about disguising the potentially offensive English names by using an Irish only version, maybe something like Bóthár O`Wellicáin, instead of Wellington Road.

Also, Zimbabwean students may be attending UCC which is near Victoria Cross. Under a royal charter granted by Queen Victoria, the Zimbabwean city of Bulawayo was once burned to the ground, among countless other atrocities around Africa and the world. Surely, in the interests of diplomacy, Cork City Council should immediately change these offensive place names just as UCC should rebury or sell the statue of Queen Victoria back to the English and use the money to pay down debt or (if there are no debts) for something worthwhile.

Am I wrong?

Sure there isn't a gob****e lane in Cork as well

• Advertisement

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Wellington was an Irishman, who despised Ireland. Read more history.

Ireland paid back billions? No, we only legally promised to. Have you never heard of the Economic War? Read more history....
    I do not consider Ian Paisley to have been an Irishman. Why should I consider Wellington to have been Irish. I could read every history book that was ever written and it would not change my mind on that point. Yes I did hear of the economic war and the billions we agreed to pay back were reduced to 5 billion. Read more history yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,641 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Then why are people in South Africa defacing statues of Queen Victoria?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu_KoTKGbj8

Because they have little else to bother them?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Then why are people in South Africa defacing statues of Queen Victoria?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu_KoTKGbj8
    I don't think modern day RSA is a country that anybody should be taking inspiration from.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

UCC should rebury or sell the statue of Queen Victoria back to the English and use the money to pay down debt or (if there are no debts) for something worthwhile.

They could use the money to rename White Street, for fear of causing offence.

My mother doesn't like the idea of High Street either.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'm confused OP, are you saying we should rubber stamp the idea to give the name Wellington the boot?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

testicles wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The Captain of the Titanic is not remembered for his long and impeccable reputation prior to April 14, 1912.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I do not consider Ian Paisley to have been an Irishman. Why should I consider Wellington to have been Irish. I could read every history book that was ever written and it would not change my mind on that point. Yes I did hear of the economic war and the billions we agreed to pay back were reduced to 5 billion. Read more history yourself.

Paisley was Irish. He said that himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The Captain of the Titanic is not remembered for his long and impeccable reputation prior to April 14, 1912.

If you read your history instead of assuming things, you would know he was involved in a number of collisions in his career. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭thomil

It always amuses me when someone claims to be something that cannot be verified, as if that adds credence to their assertion.

Netter Versuch, Kleiner!

But obviously, your d**k clearly isn't big enough to get in a pissing contest with me. You want verification? Here: https://thomil.blogspot.ie - 195 posts dating back to 2009, long before I even HEARD of Cork. All in glorious German, of course! :cool:

Oh, and in case you're incapable of understanding that beautiful language, here's 95 posts that even a peasant like you should be able to understand: http://thomil-english.blogspot.ie

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Paisley was Irish. He said that himself.
    and I say he was not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

and I say he was not.

And you’d be wrong

If you read your history instead of assuming things, you would know he was involved in a number of collisions in his career. :D
    And yet he was chosen to captain the Titanic. :D

thomil wrote: »
    Netter Versuch, Kleiner!

But obviously, your d**k clearly isn't big enough to get in a pissing contest with me. You want verification? Here: https://thomil.blogspot.ie - 195 posts dating back to 2009, long before I even HEARD of Cork. All in glorious German, of course! :cool:

Oh, and in case you're incapable of understanding that beautiful language, here's 95 posts that even a peasant like you should be able to understand: http://thomil-english.blogspot.ie
    Sure they could have been posted by anyone and as for your "Netter Versuch, Kleiner!" isn`t google marvelous.

And you’d be wrong
    I disagree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,558 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Well the French seem to think it's fine to have a train station named after Austerlitz, the site of Napoleon's great victory over a combined Austrian & Russian army.

What next, rename the whole city because some alcoholic snowflake says it reminds them of opening a bottle of wine?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭thomil

Sure they could have been posted by anyone and as for your "Netter Versuch, Kleiner!" isn`t google marvelous.

Ja genau, sicher. Scheiß drauf dass die Adressen und die Namen der beiden Blogs meinen Nickname hier im Forum enthalten, oder dass ein Link zu einem der beiden Blogs von Anfang an in meinem öffentlichen Profil enthalten ist, ist ja alles nur Fake.

Seriously, were you deprived of oxygen during birth? Did your mother drop you on your head too many times while changing your diapers for you to get to this special level of stupid? I really would have loved to continue our intellectual fencing match, but it is quite obvious that you're unarmed.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

And yet he was chosen to captain the Titanic. :D

And your point is?

Not one poster is in agreement with your idiotic posts. You've been well and truly put back in your box.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Well the French seem to think it's fine to have a train station named after Austerlitz, the site of Napoleon's great victory over a combined Austrian & Russian army.

What next, rename the whole city because some alcoholic snowflake says it reminds them of opening a bottle of wine?

Ah but the French are French whereas the Irish are not British. The French do not have any streets named after Rommel.

And your point is?

Not one poster is in agreement with your idiotic posts. You've been well and truly put back in your box.

You on the other hand are part of the herd. I assume you know herd mentality is not a good thing.

What matters is the size of the mistake. The Captain of the Titanic was thought highly of by many, so much so that he was chosen to captain the largest and most prestigious ship ever built on her maiden voyage. He is remembered for the sinking of the titanic and not for the reputation that led to his appointment to that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Ah but the French are French whereas the Irish are not British. The French do not have any streets named after Rommel.
    Yes, but Rommel attacked France. Wellington never attacked Ireland. The French have plenty of streets names after foreigners who have some connection to France, whereas Wellington was not only connected to Ireland; he was born and raised here, and had a marked Irish accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I wonder if the OP works for a company that makes street signs.

Map of places with Wellington in the name: http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/yIf If nothing shows, click 'run'. Might not work on certain phones.
    italodisco wrote: »
    Dear lord, just when I thought the ultra left / social justice movement couldn't get any more ridiculous lol
    This tends to be Republicans, who tend to be on the authoritarian scale, not the left-right scale. https://www.politicalcompass.org/

Every Georgian, Edwardian and Victorian building should be leveled and the rubble crushed to remove all traces before being thrown into the sea. That is what the Israelites did to the Roman temples.

Should we all live in mud walled thatched cottages or concrete bunkers?

Realitykeeper losing touch with reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,083 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I think in the states status of the rebel leaders who fought to keep slavery should be banned from schools.

As for the Irish & the French we need to grow up a little. We sent the British running with their tails between their legs almost a hundred years ago.

If doesn't offend me if a hotel flys the British flag in Dublin because I know they are just visiting. I have a stayed in hotels in London flyover the Irish flag.

Same with the royal family. I don't line the street with a little union jack flag but I've no issues with them visiting because I know that they are our guests and we are not their subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 June18zellie

I think the Afrikaners have a name for those with one foot in South Africa and the other in Britain, i.e. soutpeil. Sout meaning salt and (politely speaking), peil refers to the Englishmen`s willies. One wonders if they would consider Wellington to be an honorary soutpeil.

Soutie meaning one leg in SA one leg in England and ur bollocks hanging in the water lol

Advertisement