Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Cork City Council change place names that could offend the new Irish?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Soutie meaning one leg in SA one leg in England and ur bollocks hanging in the water lol
    Yes, although let us be couth. The English should be respected but not glorified.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I do not consider Ian Paisley to have been an Irishman. Why should I consider Wellington to have been Irish. I could read every history book that was ever written and it would not change my mind on that point. Yes I did hear of the economic war and the billions we agreed to pay back were reduced to 5 billion. Read more history yourself.

You may not consider the English settlers who came here in the plantations 400+ years ago to be Irish either. But they are. Your opinion is merely that. NOT a fact. NOT reality.

Incidentally, we paid back 32M which is 2.497BN today, according to here

An Ri rua wrote: »
    You may not consider the English settlers who came here in the plantations 400+ years ago to be Irish either. But they are. Your opinion is merely that. NOT a fact. NOT reality.

Incidentally, we paid back 32M which is 2.497BN today, according to here
    Well, there you go, we paid billions just like I said and by your own admission. Apologies please.

As for my opinion not being fact or reality. I disagree. Your opinions are not fact or reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Now I hope nobody jumps in to bite my head off but, could someone explain what the term 'new Irish' means?

Am I right in thinking it refers to asylum seekers who have been granted Irish citizenship or am I way off the mark?

Seriously folks, I really don't know. Any info anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Now I hope nobody jumps in to bite my head off but, could someone explain what the term 'new Irish' means?
    Immigrants in general.

The cited example in the first post is French people. As French people have a legal right to be here, they can hardly be asylum seekers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Victor wrote: »
    Immigrants in general.

The cited example in the first post is French people. As French people have a legal right to be here, they can hardly be asylum seekers.

Thanks Victor - I understand that EU citizens have a legal right to be here and are not asylum seekers so presumably they are still French, Polish, Spanish etc and do not suddenly become Irish if they choose to live and work here. I have friends from other EU countries and the US and they do not consider themselves 'new Irish'.

I'm still not sure who are the 'new Irish'. I have heard the term used a lot and I find it a bit confusing...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,083 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm still not sure who are the 'new Irish'. I have heard the term used a lot and I find it a bit confusing...

I'm in a Facebook group for a part of Dublin that I grew up in. It has close to 7000 members. A third to a half of them live outside of Ireland. Many are in the states over 40 years. Every one of them calls themselves Irish. When they speak of Ireland they call it home. I can't recall a single person calling themselves American even though they spent most of their lives there.

I don't believe there are New Irish. I'm betting every single Polish here calls themselves Polish. I don't mean that in a negative way. I welcome here

Am I right in thinking it refers to asylum seekers who have been granted Irish citizenship or am I way off the mark?

Seriously folks, I really don't know. Any info anyone
    You are correct. I know a lot of people (including the immigrants themselves) would not see them as Irish, and to be honest, neither do I but that term "new Irish" is what they are often referred to in the media. EU citizens do not come into this category but to be concise, I did not say the "new Irish and EU citizens".

Besides, leftists like to to be pc because without marginal groups, they would struggle to gain enough support to attain political power. The term New Irish would be popular among leftists but not right wingers like myself. I use it when it suits me, e.g. for reasons like gaining support (from leftists) for getting rid of residues of the empire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Christ, if ever a thread needed to be closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Am I wrong?

Yes. You are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Christ, if ever a thread needed to be closed.

Just ignore it, christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Just ignore it, christ.
    Just like you ignored my post............hmmmmmm
    Maybe work on taking your own advice.

Advertisement