If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can you recommend for this sitting room projector setup

Options
  • 08-05-2018 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi there,
    We have a sitting room that is 6m long and 5m wide with a ceiling height of 2.8m.

I had in mind a ceiling mounted projector and there is a double socket and a cat5 cable in the ceiling. 

The idea was to project onto the chimney breast without a screen. 

This is for occasional use as we are not big TV watchers. I would like to run this through my windows laptop for Netflix and the like.

I had the idea a chrome cast or something similar in the projector and some bluetooth speakers, but to be honest I have no idea where to begin or even if this is a good idea. 

Any help would be appreciated. Let me know what other info you may require.

Thank you,

David

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,279 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi there,
    We have a sitting room that is 6m long and 5m wide with a ceiling height of 2.8m.

I had in mind a ceiling mounted projector and there is a double socket and a cat5 cable in the ceiling. 

The idea was to project onto the chimney breast without a screen. 

This is for occasional use as we are not big TV watchers. I would like to run this through my windows laptop for Netflix and the like.

I had the idea a chrome cast or something similar in the projector and some bluetooth speakers, but to be honest I have no idea where to begin or even if this is a good idea. 

Any help would be appreciated. Let me know what other info you may require.

Thank you,

David
    Hi David,

Apologies for the delay getting back to you.

A projector is definitely a good idea for watching movies however there are a few more factors to think about for set up. They are very sensitive to placement so you would need to have a look how far away the projector will be from the chimney breast. As well as that, unless the chimney is white you will lose a good bit of contrast on a wall rather than a screen.

Sound is another consideration as a projector speaker is not very good and they are lacking a good few audio outputs. I would recommend going down the route of an AV receiver with a pair of speakers. That way all inputs can plug into the amp and you only need one cable to go to the projector. You'd also get a much better sound as an AV receiver can decode a lot more sound codecs though HDMI.

Let me know if this would be a suitable route and we can look into it further.

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 18 RedGableDave

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

The sockets in the ceiling are approx 2.5m from the wall with the chimney breast. The chimney breast is 2.4m wide. I have some room to move the projector further back but there is ceiling light about 200mm behind.

It would make sense to have a central control unit (amp/AV receiver) and feed the picture to the projector and the sound to separate speakers.

I am limited in that running more / different cables is not an option. I probably should have run HDMI to beside the ceiling plugs but only put in Cat5. It runs to a central location as does a cable from the corner of the room so they can be joined.

Currently we do not have sky or any TV in the house - not even freeview. We generally watch Netflix etc but I would like to have the option in the future. There is co-ax to the corner alongside the cat5.

Dave.

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

The sockets in the ceiling are approx 2.5m from the wall with the chimney breast. The chimney breast is 2.4m wide. I have some room to move the projector further back but there is ceiling light about 200mm behind.

It would make sense to have a central control unit (amp/AV receiver) and feed the picture to the projector and the sound to separate speakers.

I am limited in that running more / different cables is not an option. I probably should have run HDMI to beside the ceiling plugs but only put in Cat5. It runs to a central location as does a cable from the corner of the room so they can be joined.

Currently we do not have sky or any TV in the house - not even freeview. We generally watch Netflix etc but I would like to have the option in the future. There is co-ax to the corner alongside the cat5.

Dave.
    Hi Dave,

From that distance you would be projecting onto a screen size of about 92" diagonally. Moving it further back increases the screen size.

A projector doesn't have any tuner or apps built in so the AV receiver is the best bet. That way you could add a freesat box or a blu ray player without having to change or add cables to the projector. You would also need something to convert the cat5 cable to HDMI no projector will take an image through cat5.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 18 RedGableDave

Hi David,
    Great info, thanks.

92” is more than enough.

Can you quote me please for a projector, AV receiver and whatever else I need. Please also add a screen. As slimline as possible and chrome finish to the casing if possible.

Again, this is for part time viewing. The budget is under €1000. Under €700 would be good.

I am assuming that the cat5 can be converted to HDMI. It could be cat5e or Cat6 cable. To be honest these are just words to me! The cables were installed last year.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi David,
    Great info, thanks.

92” is more than enough.

Can you quote me please for a projector, AV receiver and whatever else I need. Please also add a screen. As slimline as possible and chrome finish to the casing if possible.

Again, this is for part time viewing. The budget is under €1000. Under €700 would be good.

I am assuming that the cat5 can be converted to HDMI. It could be cat5e or Cat6 cable. To be honest these are just words to me! The cables were installed last year.

Thanks,

Dave
    Hi Dave,

I would start off looking at the Benq W1050 1080p projector at 549 euro (this is the best starting point for a Full HD projector):

http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202953-benq-w1050.aspx

We also do a 92" screen for 119.99 euro:

http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-11803-optoma-ds9092pwc.aspx

For an AV receiver that performs well but sticks within budget you would be looking at the Denon AVRX540BT at 269 euro:

http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202670-avrx540bt.aspx

Finally the speakers I would recommend would be the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 which retail at 430 euro. i could do a deal on these at 300 euro:

http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-12901-black-12901.aspx

These are bookshelf speakers but won the What HiFi award for best speakers up to £400. They are stereo speakers but do fill out the room and give great bass. It's the best compromise between cheap bookshelf speakers and a full 5.1 surround sound system.

In terms of cabling, if you let me know how far away from the amp the speakers will be I can quote for the cables and HDMIs. We don't sell Cat5 to HDMI converters, we could only provide a long HDMI from amp to projector if you're interested.

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Hi David,
    Great info, thanks.

92” is more than enough.

Thanks,

Dave
    Hi Dave,

One more thing, we DO stock Cat5 to HDMI extenders!

The Blustream HEX70B Kit which retails at £279.95 sterling:

https://www.richersounds.com/blustream-hex70bkit-black.html

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.