Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSP - best model to get

• 09-05-2018 8:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭

I've been thinking of getting myself a PSP for commuting and travel.Aside from the back catalogue of PSP and PS1 games (all of which I missed first time around),one of my hopes oils be to use it as a portable retrogaming device.Opinions seem to be divided as to which model is the best for this purpose,does anyone have any advice?I think l'd prefer to avoid the PSP Go as I really like the idea of having the UMD drive (even though I probably won't use it much if I can successfully mod it!).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Inviere

I've mentioned before, the best model PSP to get is a first generation Vita running Adrenaline. It walks all over any of the PSP's for screen quality, control quality, and overall build quality. It plays PSP games with higher frame rates too given its technologically superior, and after using it for PSP games, I'll likely never go back to an actual PSP again.

Failing that, I think the 3000 series is the best of the PSP line up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Funnily enough I was only looking at Vitas yesterday and thinking about picking one up when I saw how much they've come down in price.

Didn't know that about PSP games playing on it, will definitely be picking one up now!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

3000 is the best. Vita would be better. After the 3000 Sony really cheaped out on the PSP so don't bother. I actually wouldn't get anything other than a vita or 3000. 1000 and 2000 models are awful.

PSP also isn't that great for emulation. The Sony developed PS1 emulator is fantastic but the community made ones aren't great and the shimmering from them not running at native resolution is really annoying for me. The higher res Vita should sort a lot of that out.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Funnily enough I was only looking at Vitas yesterday and thinking about picking one up when I saw how much they've come down in price.

Didn't know that about PSP games playing on it, will definitely be picking one up now!

Pick one up that's on firmware 3.60 or less. Anything after that & it's more limited in terms of PSP functionality (amongst other things). Research 'Adrenaline', find out what you need.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    PSP also isn't that great for emulation. The Sony developed PS1 emulator is fantastic but the community made ones aren't great and the shimmering from them not running at native resolution is really annoying for me. The higher res Vita should sort a lot of that out.

Yeah, I don't particularly use it for anything other than Vita, PSP, & PS1 games. The OLED screen is just gorgeous to look at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Inviere wrote: »
    Pick one up that's on firmware 3.60 or less. Anything after that & it's more limited in terms of PSP functionality (amongst other things). Research 'Adrenaline', find out what you need.

Yeah, I don't particularly use it for anything other than Vita, PSP, & PS1 games. The OLED screen is just gorgeous to look at.

Screen is great on the original Vita, I picked up one of the newer Vita's a while back and the quality was just terrible when compared to the original. The LCD screen and cheap feel of the thing really annoyed me, so i got rid of it quick and got a secondary new old stock vita instead while they were still knocking around for reasonable money.

• Advertisement

Steve X2 wrote: »
    got a secondary new old stock vita instead while they were still knocking around for reasonable money.

I got mine in Xtra Vision yonks ago for €150 I think it was. Gorgeous little thing, shame it died a death though. Still, with homebrew it's a really nice little device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Never actually thought of the Vita,obviously if I could find one with the right firmware at a good price it sounds like the way to go.They seem to be a good deal thinner on the ground than the PSP though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,342 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I actually have a soft spot for the PSP Go. It's like a dog that's missing a leg that you can't help liking.

Advertisement