Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere I can update motherboard Bios in Dublin

Options
  • 09-05-2018 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, purchased a ryzen 2600 and ab350m mobo without realising I'd need a bios update. Is there anywhere that would flash bios in Dublin?

Also, when I put the pc together and started it up it does start, stays on and fans spin but I just get no signal to my monitor. Is this a symptom of outdated bios or could I be looking at a different problem completely here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Most likely just older bios version for the motherboard. Online retailers really need to make it more clear that older stock of those boards will not work out of the box though at this point most places should have the new bios versions.

Unfortunately you will need to buy a Ryzen 1200 to flash it or borrow someone elses ryzen 1x00 CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 food eater of food

Ah, thanks. Think I'll just return the motherboard and get a compatible one so.

you can flash some motherboards via USB without a CPU but it's usually only on higher end boards.

Good to know. I'll have a look into that. Can get a compatible cpu for cheap enough for flashing too. Was just unwilling to put money into it until I was sure I narrowed down the problem

The X4 950 might work and that's pretty cheap, but just check first that your board does support that CPU out of the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Will AMD not send a CPU to you for this purpose? I thought they were doing that for the recent Ryzen "G" processors?

EDIT: Yes indeed they will

AMD will send a boot kit alright but it is supposed to be a slow process and I've already stripped down the pc. Can't do without it for that long so was hoping to get something quicker before rebuilding previous pc to strip it down again when I can update the bios.

I started the process with AMD today since it is free anyway and will keep an eye on CEX store and ebay for cheap compatible am4 CPU

Thanks for all the help guys :))

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I saw this on adverts this morning. Not sure if you'd be willing to pay that for a CPU you'll never use again though, but an option all the same.

https://www.adverts.ie/processors/amd-a6-9500e-boot-kit/15318728

I suppose could always sell it on.

Surprised the few computer shops I called didn't have a clue. Must be common enough

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I suppose could always sell it on.

Surprised the few computer shops I called didn't have a clue. Must be common enough

I'd say you could sell it on alright. As he states in the ad it can take weeks to get AMD to send one out to you. If I remember correctly your not the first to post on this forum looking for a compatible chip to update their bios so it shouldn't be too hard to sell it on.

But I wouldn't expect to sell it straight away unless someone was like you and stuck. So you may sell it straight away or have it a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

You could always keep it and pair it with a cheap A320 motherboard for something like a Plex Server, HTPC or Torrentslave if you'd like to run something like that.

It's one thing if you were to build a new Ryzen build right and not already have a motherboard, you should really opt for the 400 series boards just because of this problem.

Advertisement